I.F. What breaks a fast.......

Options
richvallero
richvallero Posts: 3 Member
edited November 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Been living an I.F. Lifestyle for the past couple months results have been solid, but lately in a stall, would 5hr energy shot technically break a fast during IF? Anyone...... thanks

Replies

• davidylin
    davidylin Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Anything that might substantially alter your metabolism to shift away from burning fat for energy. Carbohydrates are right out. The four calories in a 5-hour energy shot are actually enough to disrupt things for a short while. Finally the caffeine and artificial sweetener used in 5-hour energy have been shown to alter blood insulin and blood sugar levels, which could potentially affect the production of ketones.

Ultimately, as insulin, caffeine, and four measly calories clear your system pretty quickly, I don't think it'll make a huge disruption. But it's also not nothing.
  • richvallero
    richvallero Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    been on the same path that gave me all my success, but been stuck at the same weight for like 2weeks just looking for answers..... thanks for replying
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Weight loss isn't linear, it is perfectly normal to go a week or two without a loss.
  • davidylin
    davidylin Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Honestly, 2 weeks isn't enough time to measure progress in terms of your body composition. One solid poop could reduce your body weight by 6+ lbs (the poop obviously weighs less, but what it does to the rest of you can be affected). The recent change in seasons may have affected how you are storing water.

Since you've been seeing some success, you should persevere. If you're still not budging on weight in a couple more weeks, try a different scale (to confirm yours isn't stuck), then take a look at your calories and see about making a reduction.

The change in seasons/weather across the country may have also affected you in ways that may resolve themselves in the near future.

Good luck.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    It is worth trying for a while if you are getting impatient about the two weeks.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    If it has calories, it breaks your fast. If you're eating at maintenance, you need to eat ess to continue losing weight. If you're very close to goal weight, weight loss will be slow, and often completely masked by "water weight" fluctuations, so you need to be patient. You can use this as practice for maintenance - years and years of constant vigilance, just in order to not gain weight ;)