Can you pass on excess calories for next day?

Options
Ive been going over my calories and I was wondering if you can pass on those excess calories and foods into the next day so u mantain a deficit. Can this work?

Replies

• littlebabekitty
    littlebabekitty Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Yay!!!!
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    Yes. As Orphia noted, look at the week in total. No need to stress if you overeat one day - you can make it up in following days and maintain a deficit for the week.
  • littlebabekitty
    Options
    I wish someone would have told me this a year ago.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Yep, look at your weekly goal, not daily.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Yes, as long as you’re not “saving” calories to the extent that you feel sick or lightheaded. Just make sure you’re eating enough to nourish your body each day. Lots of people track their weekly calories rather than daily.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    I deliberately do it. I under eat week days by 200 or so to save for weekends.

Same! Between IF and banking calories, I never have to feel limited for special occasions or restaurant dinners. :)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Ive been going over my calories and I was wondering if you can pass on those excess calories and foods into the next day so u mantain a deficit. Can this work?

how often are you going over your calories?

is it once a week? everyday?

context would help....
  • BBum69
    BBum69 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I keep track of my under/over every day, and a running under/over count for the week.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Yup, you don't reset every night. I work on a weekly goal rather than a daily.
  • littlebabekitty
    Options

context would help....[/quote]
    SezxyStef wrote: »

Everyday
  • Alatariel75
    Options

context would help....

Everyday

If you're going over every day, this method won't help - you need some days which even out the over days.

For me, my goal is 1500. I aim for about 1200 on weekdays, and 2000 on weekends, but I mix it up where I want to, like mid-week lunches or dinners out, events etc.
  • littlebabekitty
    Options
    Okay
  • Alatariel75
    Options
    Think of your calories like a budget. You're given a certain amount for the week, and you can spend them how you like. If you want to blow a whole bunch on one day and be frugal the rest of the week, that's up to you. But if you spend more than you have, you need to go into debt for it (and that debt = being over your calorie allowance and not losing weight, or even gaining).
  • littlebabekitty
    Options
    Thank u
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Technically, no you can't because a lot of those excess calories have already turned to fat. But if you eat less the next day then you'll end up burning that fat and it all evens out for the week.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

context would help....

Everyday

Depending on how much everyday...then probably not.

The weight loss will either be very very slow or not existent or even go the other way.

Why are you going over???? what is your goal set at? are you actually hungry or just snacking cause bored etc?

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Everyday

if you're going over every day then you're just making your deficit smaller so your weight loss will be slower or stop if you are eating up to maintenance.
  • bernadettenz
    bernadettenz Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    Definitely. I do it all the time and have lost 35 kg and kept it off since April 2016.

The MFP app lets you view your weekly calories.

Go to Diary>Nutrition>Calories/Kilojoules>Week View.

Thanks! I did not know about this feature!