Vegan meal prepping?

Options
Hey vegan buddies. I am having hard time with out of home eating. Usually this causes me to buy junk food and then go over my calories. What do u guys do when eating out? If u meal prep what do u prep and in what containers? Is it cold food or do u warm up before leaving?

Replies

• tlpina82
    tlpina82 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Hi... I bought glass containers at ikea. They fit 1.2 litres, i think.

I usually take 2 containers:
    1 - A Big salad with a lot of leaves, broccoli and cauliflower florets, cherry tomatoes, onions, steamed green beans, aspargus etc... At least 6 ingredients in each salad.
    2 - Sustenance - 1 cup of rice, 1 cup of beans, broccoli and cauliflower stems, heart of palm, leek etc.

Big meals, always full, no more than 600 calories.
    very easy to make for the whole week.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I recommend you check this out:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MeatlessMealPrep/
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    For eating out: I have found a variety of places in my area that offer food that I enjoy. Not sure what area you're in, so it's hard to offer more specific recommendations.

I don't formally meal prep, but I do make bigger dinners and then store the leftovers in individual containers. I either eat them within the next few days or freeze them for later. Typically I eat them cold because it doesn't really make a difference to me. The containers I use are just basic Pyrex or Ziploc containers.
  • orkla
    orkla Posts: 34 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I have a big pan that I make veggiesoup in. When it's done I strain it, put equal amount of veggies in each container from IKEA, add some of the liquid on top, and put them in the fridge. There's a fridge at work, so I take one or two with me depending on how many late shifts I have that week.

I usually put it on a plate before heating.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    For meal prepping the breakthrough for me was getting a bunch of good containers with lids I trusted that were the right size (and enough so there were always some available). I make extra dinner and pre-pack immediately after cooking (when putting together my plate) or I cook ahead on a weekend or evening I have time and portion out a few meals. Often for lunch, sometimes for a quick dinner if I am going to be home late. I also do that so I can make things that take longer in advance -- I'll roast a winter squash and then portion it out (I often use cold roasted winter squash in smoothies too), or make a bean dish that requires time.
  • awilburn2004
    awilburn2004 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My husband is a great cook & makes Chili & curries which are vegan. There is always lots left over so I portion them up into smaller portions for lunch & larger portions for a meal for us both when we haven’t had time to cook. If we need a real quick meal we have frozen quinoa & Vegs in the freezer ready to through into the microwave. This is only 260 calorie a portion. It’s our go to quick meal