It’s bulking season

Options
So winter is here! The food and drinks are flowing due to the festive season! Not the easiest time to gain good lean mass right... what are your guys tips in keeping the fat at bay... I like to include a nice fast incline walk into my gym routine for around 25min

Replies

• Greater_Gains
    Greater_Gains Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Track you intake, make your surplus small... Trying to gain when there's lots of food around is a whole lot easier than trying to diet!

Thats for sure the problem is that it's not always the best of foods :)
  • jdscrubs32
    jdscrubs32 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    It's why I'm switching from recomp to bulking come the first of December. All the delicious food and drink will be mine:)
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    jpaube wrote: »
    Track you intake, make your surplus small... Trying to gain when there's lots of food around is a whole lot easier than trying to diet!

Thats for sure the problem is that it's not always the best of foods :)

How much you eat will determine your fat gain, not what you eat.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    So winter is here! The food and drinks are flowing due to the festive season! Not the easiest time to gain good lean mass right... what are your guys tips in keeping the fat at bay... I like to include a nice fast incline walk into my gym routine for around 25min

Why isn't it the easiest time to gain? It's the best time! Obviously unless you are going overboard (way too high surplus) everyday. My solution.. plan. If you are going out for a huge dinner, plan the rest of your day or week accordingly (ie. Eat less and get the protein in).
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I'm still not sure if I'm bulking this winter. I did last year and after cutting I gained around 4-5 lbs of muscle, but in many respects, I am satisfied with my body composition and it really isn't a priority for me to gain additional muscle weight at this time.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I'm doing a slow bulk over the winter. 100-200 cal surplus half of my days of the week, after eating back exercise cals from my runs. Hitting protein goals of 100g. I don't mind if my surplus cals come from holiday treats. Then again I am new to bulk so I don't know how this will effect my composition at the end of it.
  • Greater_Gains
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

Why isn't it the easiest time to gain? It's the best time! Obviously unless you are going overboard (way too high surplus) everyday. My solution.. plan. If you are going out for a huge dinner, plan the rest of your day or week accordingly (ie. Eat less and get the protein in).

Not the easiest for me - Every day there is a new box of chocolates and doughnuts at work lol I like to clean bulk so good carbs and fats and only around 100/200 calories in a surplus
  • Greater_Gains
    Options
    Thanksgiving and Christmas are freebies. All the other days are normal, tracking days.

Amen to that!!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options

Not the easiest for me - Every day there is a new box of chocolates and doughnuts at work lol I like to clean bulk so good carbs and fats and only around 100/200 calories in a surplus

All the carbs and fat are good around Christmas. Santa wouldn't visit if they were bad...
  • Greater_Gains
    Options
    Bry_Lander wrote: »
    I'm still not sure if I'm bulking this winter. I did last year and after cutting I gained around 4-5 lbs of muscle, but in many respects, I am satisfied with my body composition and it really isn't a priority for me to gain additional muscle weight at this time.

Good for you bud always nice to see a goal reached. I still want a bit more size but like to keep it clean to reduce the amount of fat picked up in the season
  • Greater_Gains
    Options
    katadx wrote: »
    I'm doing a slow bulk over the winter. 100-200 cal surplus half of my days of the week, after eating back exercise cals from my runs. Hitting protein goals of 100g. I don't mind if my surplus cals come from holiday treats. Then again I am new to bulk so I don't know how this will effect my composition at the end of it.

Thats a great way to do it - I do more or less the same 100/200 surplus as i dont like to pick up to much fat
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options
    Bry_Lander wrote: »

Good for you bud always nice to see a goal reached. I still want a bit more size but like to keep it clean to reduce the amount of fat picked up in the season

Eating "clean" (whatever that means to you) has nothing to do with whether you put fat on or not, it's the size of your deficit.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Holidays are the only season to bulk for myself, keep the surplus around 250 and Santa will bring me nice gains if I eat well including all the cookies. I can't really build muscle without some fat gain .. its kinda necessary right? :neutral:

• sardelsa
    Options

Nothing wrong with fitting in a few treats in your bulk at all (unless of course they make you feel sick and affect your workout performance maybe?) I eat candy everyday as my preworkout so me and "bad" carbs are best buds for life ;)
  • sardelsa
    Options
    filbo132 wrote: »
    Personally I don't see why there should be a bulking season, you should bulk when you're lean and cut when you're heavy af regardless of the season, if it falls during Xmas time, use those days as refeeds days and adjust your calories for the week if necessary. But again, that's just me. Don't be shy to eat some treats as long as the majority of your meals aren't just junk food. Having a donut here and there is not the end of the world as long as you still hit micronutrients, fiber and your macros.

Because winter = sweaters and leggings

Summer = now where did I put my shirt again?

Haha :p
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    I'm in a deficit up until Xmas eve and then taking 2 weeks break.

I can confirm dieting is much harder than bulking at this time of year!!!