what are reps

I get that reps are repetitions but let's say if you have 3 reps of 10 for squats, after you do 10 are you suppose to just stand up and pause then go back and do 10 more or what..

Replies

• cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    3 sets of 10 reps would be the more normal way of writing it.

Rest between sets varies depending how heavy you're lifting and what you're trying to achieve.
    From what I remember (because it's the only plan I followed that specified it), StrongLifts 5x5 recommends at least 90 seconds rest between sets, and up to 3 minutes if you found the set really tough.

Personally, I prefer to superset. So I might do a set of squats, then go and do a set of bench press, then go back to squats etc.
    (My trainer sets my supersets up for me so I'm working different muscles etc.)
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited November 2017
    I get that reps are repetitions but let's say if you have 3 reps of 10 for squats, after you do 10 are you suppose to just stand up and pause then go back and do 10 more or what..

"3 reps of 10 for squats" - That should be 3 sets of 10 reps. Unless you are actually doing 10 sets of 3 reps. Reps are the number of times you are doing the exercise in a set.

As to the bolded, basically, yes. The pause will be longer the heavier weight you are lifting. Usually 60 seconds to 1.5 minutes is a normally rest period between sets.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member

"3 reps of 10 for squats" - That should be 3 sets of 10 reps. Unless you are actually doing 10 sets of 3 reps. Reps are the number of times you are doing the exercise in a set.

As to the bolded, basically, yes. The pause will be longer the heavier weight you are lifting. Usually 90 seconds to 1.5 minutes is a normally rest period between sets.

Um... :D:D:D

• quiksylver296
    TR0berts wrote: »

As to the bolded, basically, yes. The pause will be longer the heavier weight you are lifting. Usually 90 seconds to 1.5 minutes is a normally rest period between sets.

Based on where SHE is, @tr0berts, not where YOU are! I know what you are thinking...

jtte5sw4fs20.gif
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    edited November 2017

Based on where SHE is, @tr0berts, not where YOU are! I know what you are thinking...

jtte5sw4fs20.gif

LOL - I meant that 90 seconds is 1.5 minutes.

eta: But, yeah - rest a minute or so in between sets.
  • quiksylver296

jtte5sw4fs20.gif

LOL - I meant that 90 seconds is 1.5 minutes.

eta: But, yeah - rest a minute or so in between sets.

Doh. Must have a case of the Mondays. Guess I didn't know what you were thinking. :D Think I'll go make another cup of coffee now. Don't mind me.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    cs2thecox wrote: »
    3 sets of 10 reps would be the more normal way of writing it.

Personally, I prefer to superset. So I might do a set of squats, then go and do a set of bench press, then go back to squats etc.
    (My trainer sets my supersets up for me so I'm working different muscles etc.)

ditto on supersetting. Limited time. I normally do:

A. Main leg (squats or deadlift) / Pull / Abs (4 sets)
    B. Push / 2x glute/alternate leg muscle (4 sets)
    C. Iso arm & glute accessory. (2 sets / 1 set)

which typically gets me a 2.5-4.5 minute rest between sets using the same muscles.
    (If I'm low on time, I can cross out 1 set across the board and be out in 30 minutes.).
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    edited November 2017
    So, the 4 x 12 @ 100lbs for the Bench Press (as you will see written, for example) means that you are going to do four sets of 12 reps using 100lbs and you are doing Bench Press.

So, you load up 100lbs, get your position on the bench, and do 12 reps (lift that 12 times). You rest 60 seconds to five minutes or whatever and then do your second set. Lift that weight 12 reps again. Then you rest 60 seconds to five minutes and then do your third set. Rest. Do Set #4. You are now done with that exercise.

What the others have thrown into your question is something called a super set. So, what in the world is that?

You do two exercises (or three or even four) at a time....so, let's take a Super Set of Bench Press and Dumbbell Rows. We are still doing 4 sets of 12.

So, now instead of *JUST* doing 12 reps of Bench Press, waiting 60 seconds (or whatever) and then doing another 12 reps of Bench Press you are going to do your 12 reps on the Bench Press....then immediately do 12 reps of Dumbbell Rows *AND THEN* rest your 60 seconds (or whatever). Then you are going to do your second set....do your 12 reps on Bench Press and then immediately do your 12 reps on the dumbbell Rows and then rest.

Does that make sense?