Looking for advice

Options
Hey everyone I'm a 24 year old male, I am currently trying to get over 140 pounds for the winter ( have only ever weighted 132) and I'm looking for some advice to pack on some pounds. I am currently eating just under a 4000 calorie diet and still not seeing any weight gains. Like to add my body does NOT react well to lactose. Currently hitting the gym 3-5 times a week and I work a night desk job. Thanks in advance

Replies

• jdscrubs32
    jdscrubs32 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Hi Josh. Do you weigh your foods? If you don't weigh your foods, you might be eating less than think, hence why you see no increase. How long have you been on under 4000 calories? Normally and others can correct me if I am wrong, you give it 4 weeks at a certain calorie level and if no increase, you increase by 250 and give it another 4 weeks.
  • joshvallier
    joshvallier Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I do weight them, and for about 2 weeks now. I'll give it some more time before I add to it. Already feel like I'm going to die after every meal haha I have a small appetite so it's a painful journey to say the least
  • Greater_Gains
    Greater_Gains Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    That is a large amount of food - I would suggest getting yourself a fitness tracker to track how many calories you burn per day. And just consume more than you burn, eating 200 odd calories more than you burn per day should give you a nice steady increase of mass and should not result in it being fat that gets out of control.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I do weight them, and for about 2 weeks now. I'll give it some more time before I add to it. Already feel like I'm going to die after every meal haha I have a small appetite so it's a painful journey to say the least

Putting this link right here for you! Very helpful info when gaining weight is difficult and eating calorie dense may help you get in all your cals.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10326769/are-you-a-hard-gainer-please-read/p1
  • joshvallier
    joshvallier Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone!!!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone!!!

If you stay that same weight for another week, bump your intake to 4300 calories to see if that helps. Also, when you go to the gym, what are you doing?
  • ejikslonik
    ejikslonik Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Personally for me, I couldn’t gain any weight until I went 100% vegan. It seems like I gain a lot more muscle weight with less effort. I don’t do any supplements either
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    ejikslonik wrote: »
    Personally for me, I couldn’t gain any weight until I went 100% vegan. It seems like I gain a lot more muscle weight with less effort. I don’t do any supplements either

Unless going vegan made you consume more protein and improve your training, its highly unlikely.
  • Jonnydebrasco
    Jonnydebrasco Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Well what makes up your 4000 calorie intake? Also you need to wait a little more as two weeks is still early to tell. By the way thats a lot of foid your eating man i can barely keep up with 2800 calories and thats me almost barfing. Also it depends what workout your doing, post it and lets see oh dont forget your stats