Women: what do you do about man hands?

Options
I started lifting in August and I've developed a bunch of ugly calluses on my hands. I've never seen any women at my gym wear gloves, so what do you girls do? I'm not lifting super heavy or anything, but the deadlifts and lat pull downs are killing my hands. Not a fan of the rough man hands and no amount of lotion seems to help

Replies

• H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    I have large man hands (and feet,lol) anyway...I learned to live with those early in life. The calluses I don't mind either...like my scar collection, I consider them badges of honor (and I can always peel them off when I'm bored). If yours bother you, try wearing gloves when you lift.
  • me0231
    me0231 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies! I’ve paid more attention to my grip when deadlifting today, definitely room for improvement.
  • PAFC84
    PAFC84 Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't wear gloves personally. They might help stop calluses from forming but they also stop you from gripping the bar properly.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I wear tacky lifting gloves from Walmart. I don't mind the calluses too much. I grew up doing gymnastics, callused hands are normal to me. Just buff them down if necessary.
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,789 Member
    Options
    I wear gloves, i have very sensitive skin, and lifting without gloves literally hurts pretty bad, gloves and lotion really helps limit the man hands
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Proper grip...
  • BeccaLoves2lift
    BeccaLoves2lift Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I wear gloves. Also moisturize.
  • its_me_april
    its_me_april Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    haha "man hands". . . I personally don't care. My hands do have calluses but I don't like gloves. I've tried them and don't like that I can't feel my hands gripping. Plus my hands would get sweaty when I wore gloves. I have accepted the calluses and don't mind them! good luck!
  • ISweat4This
    ISweat4This Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Yes to pumice stone and keep your hands moisturized. I keep lotion at my desk.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    An old trick from my grandma - rub vaseline on your hands (or feet) and put cotton gloves (or socks) on before bed. I now use coconut oil and normally only do this with my feet once in awhile. After a summer of flip flop sandal heel and no time or money for a good pedi, this actually works wonders.