Progress with lean bulking?

Options
I'm currently lean bulking and I've heard that it takes time to see progress being made. So I want to know how long was it till you guys started seeing results/progress? Was it frustrating at times?

Replies

• jaciejaciexoxo
    jaciejaciexoxo Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    trey52424 wrote: »
    I'm currently lean bulking and I've heard that it takes time to see progress being made. So I want to know how long was it till you guys started seeing results/progress? Was it frustrating at times?

I think that depends on your metabolic rate. I'm a girl and started glute training early this year and noticed muscle gain while eating at an unintentional deficit before changing to surplus. Specifically I went from 34.5in to 36 in only a month or two.

As a guy you should see good results soon. Maybe 1-2 months.

It also comes down to what and when you eat. I'd save the lump some of calories for after your work out.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    It definitely takes a lot of time, it is like watching a plant grow sometimes. I definitely saw some progress in a few weeks. Sometimes you feel like you haven't changed at all... but all of a sudden you compare your current physique to past photos and you go "holy smokes !!!!" ya that is the best .

But it can take months... years to really build your dream body. Don't rush it. It will come.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options

Unfortunately that is not quantifiable.

In theory if you are bulking, you are in a caloric surplus so will see the scales increase. However visual changes take much longer and can be unoticable to the human eye.

It is well worth taking it slow but taking measurements and pictures at 8-12 week intervals to compare.
  • trey52424
    trey52424 Posts: 24 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options

I think that depends on your metabolic rate. I'm a girl and started glute training early this year and noticed muscle gain while eating at an unintentional deficit before changing to surplus. Specifically I went from 34.5in to 36 in only a month or two.

As a guy you should see good results soon. Maybe 1-2 months.

It also comes down to what and when you eat. I'd save the lump some of calories for after your work out.

Lol I'm a girl, it's just my username
  • its_me_april
    its_me_april Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Very frustratingly slow!! I am still gaining muscle slowly and have been lifting weights somewhat seriously for over 3 years now. Granted I have not been "bulking" per se that entire time--I'd say about half of the time maintaining / bulking / half "cutting."

I'm just now beginning to see muscle gained in my butt! My shoulders and chest just this past year appear to have put on muscle so that I no longer look like skeletor up top! (one of the main reasons why I started lifting weights was to gain upper body muscle). It depends on your genetics, but personally, I am very slow to put on muscle, especially in my upper body. I have to be careful because it's easier for me to put on fat than muscle. If you are a newbie, you will likely see results quickly but the results will be more subtle as time goes on. I recommend taking regular progress photos so you can have something to compare your current physique to. Good luck!
  • grittygrindfitness
    Options

Most anything in fitness will take time. The best way for me to stay focused and motivated is to track your progress. Whether it be by photos taken once a week (or some timeframe similar) or by tracking your weight (slippery slope to relying on a scale) and definitely by tracking your macros/nutrient intake.

Baby steps are usually vital steps- especially with long term goals!

Stay positive!
  • freakovv
    freakovv Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    It takes forever