Mass gainer and bulking

Options
So, I'm looking to bulk up to 150 lbs from my current weight of 129 lbs (I'm 5' 7"). I was talking with someone at my new gym and said I should include a mass gainer in my diet. I started bulking a few weeks ago at 2500 calories. I just upped my calories recently as I wasn't getting any real results. He also mentioned that I could gain 20 lbs in 4-5 months and that it could be mostly muscle. I've read that you can gain 0.5 lbs muscle/week, can you actually gain more as a beginner? With that being said, should I include a mass gainer and increase my calories even further? He suggested I could take the gainer in addition to a 2500 calorie diet. Should I go for it?

By the way, my macros are 50C/25F/25P so I'm getting over 1g/lb bodyweight for protein.

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    A mass gainer isn't really anything special to be honest, it's basically protein and cheap sugars. If you are really having problems getting the calories in and don't have time to make your own smoothies, then sure, but I would really try to make them on your own if you can.

I would not gain more than 1lb per week as a male. As a really lean beginner you could gain a bit more and you might be ok, but again, it depends.

In terms of calories, if you aren't gaining on 2500, increase by 150-200cals and monitor. Did you enter your stats here on MFP or a calorie calculator? If you are going to use it, use the mass gainer to hit your calorie goal not eat way above it.
  • edickson76
    edickson76 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I don't recommend mass gainers. Mostly they are crap with sugar on top.

Half pound of muscle per week is doable in optimum conditions. But, set your expectations lower and note also that muscle gain is not linear. You aren't going to see an additional pound on the scale each week.

For reference: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10226536/bulking-for-beginners/p1

The guidelines for protein are .6-.8g per pound of bodyweight when bulking. You are well over 1g per pound. Higher protein intake will kick up your metabolism, making it harder for you to gain weight. So, at this point, try to adjust the macros--lower protein while increasing carbs. See how that goes for a couple weeks. Then, if you are still getting nowhere, adjust total calories up.

Take some measurements. It can be difficult to perceive changes with your eyes, especially when those changes are gradual and you see the "same" body every day.

What weight lifting program are you running? You said you go to the gym, but you didn't say what program you are on.
  • Jonnydebrasco
    Jonnydebrasco Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Hi what worked for me but not necessarly will for you is, i eat six to seven times a day. I also use a whey powder between meals. my macro split is c45 f25 p30 . Yes it is a lot of protein but i have been doing this for years and at my level this is what i had to do to get more mass. Now as what was said above that is perfect advice for beginners.