Recipes for weight gain/muscle building

Options
DapperDassie
DapperDassie Posts: 190 Member
Hi everyone, I'm looking for food to make for boyfriend to help him reach his goals. We have very different goals as mine is to lose weight (60 lbs down with 25 to go) And his is to gain weight in muscle (he started at 123, is now at 130 and wants to get to 140+) I enjoy cooking/baking and end up making food for him a lot as he isn't very good about remembering to eat and often won't eat otherwise. I've been all about the low calorie when I make recipes for me so would love ideas of things that are healthy and high protein but also high calorie to make him. TIA!

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    He can eat whatever you eat, but add cheese/ butter/gravy to it. For protein, make sure meals have a good portion of meat or meat substitute (tofu, lentils, veggie burger, cottage cheese, etc). For higher calorie, choose fattier cuts, whole fat dairy, nuts/seeds/butters and oils. He can also have a glass of whole milk and a slice of bread and butter.
  • DapperDassie
    Options
    He can eat whatever you eat, but add cheese/ butter/gravy to it. For protein, make sure meals have a good portion of meat or meat substitute (tofu, lentils, veggie burger, cottage cheese, etc). For higher calorie, choose fattier cuts, whole fat dairy, nuts/seeds/butters and oils. He can also have a glass of whole milk and a slice of bread and butter.

Thank you
  • DapperDassie
    Options
    Bump
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    There are no specific foods - he just needs to get enough calories.

How long did it take him to gain 7lbs? I'd recommend taking weight gain slowly, so he doesn't end up with a lot of excess fat he needs to lose.
  • DapperDassie
    Options
    There are no specific foods - he just needs to get enough calories.

How long did it take him to gain 7lbs? I'd recommend taking weight gain slowly, so he doesn't end up with a lot of excess fat he needs to lose.

I got that, same with weight loss no specific foods I just asked for good recipes that are high in calories but still healthy. And he is actually studying to be a personal trainer and about to get his cbt license so he knows what he's doing in terms of that definitely does not have a problem with excess fat. It took him 2 or 3 months to gain it. He knows what he should be eating too just has a problem actually getting enough so I'm wanting to help him out
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    -Pasta dishes with oil, butter or cream sauces, lasagna (lots of cheese), add medium beef meatballs, sausage, chicken thighs, if you really want to add more cals and protein
    -Cook rice in coconut milk
    -Ribs
    -Pizza
    -Hamburgers (use higher fat meat and add cheese, mayo, bacon to really get the cal count up)
    -Granola and milk/high fat yogurt
    -Chicken Caesar salad (use full fat dressing, bacon, croutons.. it adds up)

You can still have some of these, just keep your portions down and have a side dish of veggies or salad for yourself. I will also make things from Skinnytaste.com for the family, but use add ons and eat more to get my cals up.

So basically, have him eat more portions of normal things, to his add oil, butter, cream sauce, cheese, dressing, keep skin on the chicken etc.
  • Jonnydebrasco
    Jonnydebrasco Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I am sure you know this already but make sure to keep away from over eating too much fat. Basically what livingleanlivingclean said just make sure he gets clean calories not the ones filled with fat or sugar. Lots of protein will help put on mass but he still needs carbs. If you can make him some fish like baked salmon with potatoes and on the side have some steamed greens.

If i could i would eat fish all day everyday.
    Whatever you decide to cook just make sure he gets lots of meat and fish everyday. You can also make lots with eggs!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options
    arenavles wrote: »
    I am sure you know this already but make sure to keep away from over eating too much fat. Basically what livingleanlivingclean said just make sure he gets clean calories not the ones filled with fat or sugar. Lots of protein will help put on mass but he still needs carbs. If you can make him some fish like baked salmon with potatoes and on the side have some steamed greens.

If i could i would eat fish all day everyday.
    Whatever you decide to cook just make sure he gets lots of meat and fish everyday. You can also make lots with eggs!

Gaining too much fat happens due to too an excessive calorie surplus - this could be from eating too much of any macronutrient, not just fat. If he struggles to eat enough, adding fat is an easy way to add calories without volume.
  • Jonnydebrasco
    Options
    Thats totally not what i ment, i didnt say to cut out fats i said to watch for fatty foods which can do more damage than good. Here is an example so we get it straight, McDonalds fast food.
  • Jonnydebrasco
    Options
    Also by adding too much fat results in gaining the wrong kind of weight which i am sure he would want to get rid of later.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options
    Thats totally not what i ment, i didnt say to cut out fats i said to watch for fatty foods which can do more damage than good. Here is an example so we get it straight, McDonalds fast food.

Foods with fat are not bad, unless it's trans fat - I'd avoid those.
    Also by adding too much fat results in gaining the wrong kind of weight which i am sure he would want to get rid of later.

Eating fat doesn't make you fat. Eating too many calories from any source makes you put on weight. Putting on too much fat comes from eating any foods that makes your calorie surplus too large.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10326769/are-you-a-hard-gainer-please-read/p1

Read that. There are also recipes in some of the links I have provide. There really is no "weight gaining" recipes, because you just need to get enough calories. But what you can do is use fattier cuts of meat to help you get more calories.