Keto Advice: Carb count and Fibre?

Options
Hi there. So just read with carbs you should minus the fibre from the total? Does MFP do this already? I hit 21gm today (not excessive I know) but then read this some where. My tomato said 12gm but 3gm fibre. Does this mean it was actually only 9gm and I haven’t gone over?

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    It depends on the entries you are using. MFP just has the package entries. In the UK and Australia (and various other countries), fiber is NOT included with carbs, so should not be subtracted. (Since you write fibre, this may be the case for many of the entries you use.) In the US and Canada, fiber is included with carbs, so would be subtracted for net carbs. The USDA whole food entries are also going to include fiber with carbs.

Looking at USDA, I see about 12 g of carbs (of which 3.6 are fiber) in about 300 grams of tomatoes. That's a lot of tomato, so I might check your entry (if we are talking a single tomato, anyway), but it looks like there you are using a source that follows US/Canada style.

Best thing to do is make sure the entries you use are consistent and if you are using US/Canada style track fiber, which makes it easy to subtract.
  • juliebruno
    juliebruno Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am doing keto also, and on the app, you can click on the 3 dots at the bottom for more options. Then go into “Nutrition”. This will give you your nutrition total for the day. You can see your total carb count, and then yes, subtract your fiber for your net carbs. For example, yesterday, I had a total of 54 g of carbs, and like 32 g of fiber, giving me a net carb count of 22g.
  • xhunter561
    xhunter561 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Hi there. So just read with carbs you should minus the fibre from the total? Does MFP do this already? I hit 21gm today (not excessive I know) but then read this some where. My tomato said 12gm but 3gm fibre. Does this mean it was actually only 9gm and I haven’t gone over?

21g is ok the only reason the number is so low is just for the starting adaption to make sure you don't spend too much time relying on glucose. Some people can get away with 30g to 50g after they are keto adapted. But as for your question what you need to do is going into your settings and have fiber as a tracking item. your going to have to subtract your fiber from your carbs and you will get your net amount when it comes to the carbs that fall into the 20g limit for the day. Don't stress over it sense stress can sometimes kick you out of keto. got more questions let us know!
  • MakingItHappen2017
    Options
    Awesome thank you all, much appreciated
  • klenz525
    klenz525 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I subtract fiber for my carbs and I use this script that makes MFP subtract for you, and calculates macros in percentages so you don't have to. https://github.com/Surye/mfp-keto-userscript
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    The script could be a problem if OP is in the UK, as (as I mentioned upthread) OP could well be logging some or most foods that don't include fibre as part of the carb count.