Is sodium consumption something to watch closely?

Options
jbvpn
jbvpn Posts: 17 Member
Hello,

Just a curious question - do we need to watch sodium consumption closely? I regularly consume maybe 1800 - 2000 milligrams a day. I never add any to my food - that is just what is in the food I eat.

Should it be lowered or is it not much to think about?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    If you're not eating it excessively (which you aren't) and you don't have a medical condition like hypertension (and even if you did, you're likely fine with your level of consumption) you don't really need to concern yourself about it much.

Sodium is an essential electrolyte...going too low is not a good thing either. If you're active and sweat a lot, etc you would likely need more to keep your electrolytes in balance.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Do "we"? There is no set answer. Some of us, due to medical issues or other factors, do have to watch it. Others, like me, don't.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    If you're not eating it excessively (which you aren't) and you don't have a medical condition like hypertension (and even if you did, you're likely fine with your level of consumption) you don't really need to concern yourself about it much.

Sodium is an essential electrolyte...going too low is not a good thing either. If you're active and sweat a lot, etc you would likely need more to keep your electrolytes in balance.

What he said.
  • johnnifast
    johnnifast Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    If you intake a lot of sodium, just ensure you are also drinking a lot of water as well!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options

^^^ This.

Something that does often get overlooked is potassium. Most people are unaware of the RDA for an adult of 4,700mg and there is research now suggesting that lack of potassium may be as big a culprit re: hypertension as too much sodium.

Anecdotal but....I've had mild hypertension for years and I had a mini stroke a few years ago. When I started to pay attention to my potassium intake my blood pressure numbers improved immensely.
  • jbvpn
    jbvpn Posts: 17 Member
    Options

I have been to Japan on many occasions and had home cooking done for me and visited authentic restaurants.

Miso soup and other dishes contained so much salt - even off the grocery store shelves over in Japan - lots of soups had 2000mg of sodium per serving.
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    jbvpn wrote: »

I have been to Japan on many occasions and had home cooking done for me and visited authentic restaurants.

Miso soup and other dishes contained so much salt - even off the grocery store shelves over in Japan - lots of soups had 2000mg of sodium per serving.

Ok...but what does that have to do with your OP?
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I used to be a salt aholic. Since my wife needs to closely watch her salt intake I stopped salting my food. It is amazing how much salt I can taste in foods now.
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »
    I used to be a salt aholic. Since my wife needs to closely watch her salt intake I stopped salting my food. It is amazing how much salt I can taste in foods now.

Yeah, I have to watch mine to some extent with my hypertension...I really notice it when I eat out...everything just tastes like salt.
  • curwhibbles
    curwhibbles Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I never did. Out of nowhere, my legs started swelling and I had 20lbs of water weight. Now I do! Down to about 500mg or less per day...I have to be.

But with all things, moderation could have helped