Crockpot. Do I really need one? Super lean chicken breast will it shred by the touch?

Options
thecharon
thecharon Posts: 569 Member
edited December 2017 in Recipes
My husband says that I can put chicken in a crockpot and in 4 hours it will shred by just pulling it apart with forks. I have serious trouble believing this.
1. I use Kirland frozen chicken breasts. I defrost them a bit and trim off the tiny bit of fat they have.
2. I am used to simply pan cooking them, or cooking them in the oven. Seems so easy.
My chicken never shreds to the touch, and I have a HEAP of a lot of trouble believing that super lean chicken breasts can shred. I simply hate the thought of having yet another kitchen appliance. Especially one I do not need.
* I do not eat beef, turkey or pork. Just lean chicken breasts and salmon and talapia. I'm very picky with meats. Someone please support me because I know I am right.
* I imagine chicken can shred, but it would have to be a fatty meat part of chicken since it needs a lot of fat to shred, right?
* When I shred chicken, I allow to cool and then manually pull it apart. Does not fall apart.

Replies

• Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I love my slow cooker for super tender ribs, and shredded meat. But if you don't want to deal with one, you can cook meat on lower temp over water, or boil in sesoning for shredability.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    A crock pot is just a convenient way to cook over low, slow heat. You can do the same on the stove as others have mentioned. Yes, it will shred. No, you don't need fat. You could simmer those chicken breasts low and slow in chicken broth and if you cook it long enough (try three hours) it will shred with two forks.

d091737b313926546cd4dee476d5b8ee.jpg
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    YES! I do this every week - five pounds of chicken into the crock pot on low for 8 hours and it shreds as the fork touches it. It's true!

ETA - shred it while hot!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Yes, cooking chicken breast in the crockpot will result in shreddable meat - but to be honest, if all you eat is very lean cuts I think the crockpot is far better for tougher, maybe fattier cuts of meat - like roasts, stew meat, etc.

Chicken can really dry out when cooked in the crockpot, especially if you leave it in for long periods of time (which is kind of the point of a crockpot -set it and forget it).

You may want to look into an Instant Pot instead - has multiple cooking methods and is good for things like yogurt, hard boiled eggs, saute then pressure cook, etc.
  • sssgilbe
    sssgilbe Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    If you have a stand mixer you can shred the chicken with its regular beaters. The chicken has to be hot for it to work.
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Do you need one? I don't. In fact, it is the one kitchen tool I have no interest in using...ever. There is nothing that I want to cook where it would be a benefit.

Now, an instant pot (or pressure cooker)...use it all the time. Use it at least 3 times a week for soups and rice.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I love my crock pot. I still use the one my husband's grandmother got us for a wedding present 38 years ago. I cook chicken to shred, pork loin roast for pulled pork, chili, soups........throw it all in and forget it. Heat leftovers on low the next day for dinner. It's the ultimate lazy cook's appliance.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,136 Member
    Options
    thecharon wrote: »
    My husband says that I can put chicken in a crockpot and in 4 hours it will shred by just pulling it apart with forks. I have serious trouble believing this.
    1. I use Kirland frozen chicken breasts. I defrost them a bit and trim off the tiny bit of fat they have.
    2. I am used to simply pan cooking them, or cooking them in the oven. Seems so easy.
    My chicken never shreds to the touch, and I have a HEAP of a lot of trouble believing that super lean chicken breasts can shred. I simply hate the thought of having yet another kitchen appliance. Especially one I do not need.
    * I do not eat beef, turkey or pork. Just lean chicken breasts and salmon and talapia. I'm very picky with meats. Someone please support me because I know I am right.
    * I imagine chicken can shred, but it would have to be a fatty meat part of chicken since it needs a lot of fat to shred, right?
    * When I shred chicken, I allow to cool and then manually pull it apart. Does not fall apart.

Sorry but your husband is correct. Chicken breast will shred if you cook them in the crock pot. But I agree that if you overcook them they will be very hard. The best way is to use them in soups, stews or chili. Find crock pot chicken recipes on line and try them. You may be surprise.

I don't use my crock-pot too often anymore, but I do for the above mentioned dishes. All the ingredients go inside the pot and after cooking for few hours, without my intervention, everything is ready.
  • Tayykisses
    Tayykisses Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    You can do it on a stove but i would be completely lost without my crock pot. There are so many different recipes you can make in a crock pot and it's so simple
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    aeloine wrote: »
    you can boil it/simmer it in a broth or a sauce for an extended period of time in a pot and it'll shred just fine. Just keep it in a liquid so that it doesn't dry out.

ETA: anything you can do in a crockpot, you can do on the stove.

Yes. I have 3 slow cookers but if I am just cooking chicken to shred I'd probably just put it in a pot with enough water or broth to cover it, bring to a boil and then simmer on the stove until cooked through. Timing depends but less than an hour. Try that before buying a slow cooker.
    http://www.bhg.com/recipes/chicken/breasts/how-to-boil-chicken/
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I only use a crock pot for tough cuts of meat that require low and slow cooking to tenderize or for soups and stews that I can just set it in the morning and come home for work and have a nice stew ready to eat for dinner...I can't imagine chicken breast in a crockpot...seems like they'd be dry as *kitten*. It basically takes no time to cook a chicken breast on a stove, in the oven, or on the grill.
  • erockem
    erockem Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Instapot Pressure Cooker. 30-40 minutes for 3 pounds. Impossible to take it out without it shredding as you pick it up with fork, tongs, etc.
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I put chicken with salsa in the crockpot for 4 hours and it's perfect. Shreds very easily and not dry at all.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    Very simple method for shredded chicken breast:

Place breasts in lidded pot, put enough water (or chicken broth) to cover. Keep lid on. Bring to boil, when liquid boils turn off and let the pot slowly cool with the lid on. When it's cool'd off the chicken will be tender and shreddable without being over cooked.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    thecharon wrote: »

. You are right. If you don't need a crock pot don't buy one.