Have any of y'all had to adjust your set-ups for competition lifting?

Options
I saw my first powerlifting meet a couple weeks ago, and I'm planning to enter the next one. I'm in a tiny community, so the next one isn't for another year, meaning I have plenty of time to adjust if needed.

When I set up for squats, I do this weird thing where I roll the bar and pull myself toward it at the same time. I do this maybe four or five times before I pull myself under the bar. Well, the rack at the meet I saw doesn't really look conducive to that routine.

I also roll the bar probably more than four or five times when I set up to bench. We didn't stay long enough to watch that part of the meet, so I don't have any insight about how that works. I imagine, though, that if the spotter helps unrack the bar, rolling the bar might create confusion about when I'm actually ready to unrack it.

Do y'all have any insights for me? Do I have to change the way I set up for these lifts?

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    I've been to a couple of comps, and have seen people do a variety of things to help them get set up. I think the only thing you'd have to be careful of was time.

At the comps I've been at, people take their own helper to unrack the bar for bench press (not to spot)... If that is always the case, your helper would know your routine. Again, timing may be an issue.

I'd check with the federation about rules, I know they are all different!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    In most federations you get 60 seconds to start the lift from the moment they tell you the bar is loaded.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options
    Yep what Daniella said. IPF/USAPL you have a minute. If your setup is lengthy, don’t wait to chalk up when it’s your turn.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    ^ If you choose to have an unrack, having someone who is familiar with your set up is always best. Or at the very least, communicate with them before you start your attempt and give them a signal so they know when you're ready. They may be able to give you a few lift offs during warm ups, depending on who you find. (A spare spotter is probably not going to have time to practice during warm ups, but a lifter in a different flight or something probably could.)

What kind of rack are they using? I also roll the bar a bit when I set up and I've never had any issues. I'm not sure if you're thinking there's not enough room to roll the bar, or if they're using stands and it doesn't seem like it would be stable?
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I've had to adjust my singlet. My *kitten* tends to eat it.

I always found that as meet time draws closer anywhere from 1-2 weeks out I check my setup time and make tweaks if needed. Bench is really the only one that gets my attention.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Biggest thing is to check the rules of the fed you're competing in - especially for bench. Many require feet to be completely flat and your head to remain on the bench. Others, it doesn't matter - as long as your feet are touching the floor, you're good.

Also - as has been mentioned - verify if you can bring your own bench unrack person. My last comp was USAPL and I couldn't use my own. The guy they forced me to use had no idea what he was doing. If that happens, tell him/her explicitly what you're going to do and how you want him/her to unrack for you.
  • gym4life64
    gym4life64 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    You have 1 minute from when they call bar is loaded. That is 1 minute, to get the start command. Rolling the bar isn't a problem. I do it when I bench. You and your handler need to have all that worked out before the meet. My guy knows when I am ready for him to lift it out for me. You should be working on that ALL the time. I practice my same set up with 135lbs....just like it is 400lbs
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the insight!

@not_a_runner Yes! It wasn't a rack. It was just stands, and it doesn't look like I could pull like I usually do.
  • KickboxFanatic
    KickboxFanatic Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    How do you usually pull?
  • distinctlybeautiful
    Options
    You can see it here except I’ve gotten a bit more intense with it.. I pull myself a lot closer to the bar than in this video. And when I pull back before I go under it’s like my full weight on the bar.

• distinctlybeautiful
    Options
    Ok I wasn’t expecting the link to post like that :#
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    If you are allowed to have your own person for lift off on bench and plan to bring someone, practice the lift off, time your set-ups, and commands.

Listening to commands is extremely important. Even if you aren't bringing your own person, read the rules for how the commands are going to be delivered and practice! My 3rd (good) squat was disqualified last time b/c I racked before the command.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    ^ I creeped a few of your IG videos. I don't think your set up is going to be an issue. (And as for time, I think you should be fine. I take longer than that to set up and I've never had any timing issues.)
    The stands I've seen used at meets are quite sturdy, I was never worried they would tip over- they were connected stands though. I've used some real cheap single stands in gyms which I wouldn't trust for that...
    If they have guys squatting/benching/etc 400,500+ on the same stands though.. unless you're swinging on it like a jungle gym you'll probably be fine. I would try to practice on some similar ones if you could get access to them if you're really worried.
  • distinctlybeautiful
    Options
    @not_a_runner Thanks. I don't think the timing will be an issue at all, but yeah, I think these may have been single stands. I could be wrong though. I suppose I'll just have to be ready for it either way.
  • gym4life64
    gym4life64 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    USAPL use stands, guys squat 1000 lbs using them. They are rattle and make noise but they are sturdy. What you should work on, is your walk out. Three steps. That's all. Then no shuffling your feet. Get tight, and get under the bar. Stand up with confidence! One step back. Next foot back and out. Then set your first foot in your stance.