Beginner weight lifting

Options
I would like to introduce strength training into my exercise routine. I saw a tip about using water bottles as DIY weights, I have 2 5-litre bottles I was thinking of using as they weigh about 11 lbs each - would that be enough of a challenge for a complete beginner, or maybe too much? For that kind of weight should I be lifting them fast or slow, or vary my speed?

Replies

• ckozl81
    ckozl81 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    If they are heavy enough depends on the workout you are doing with them. I personally use hand weights ranging from 5 - 30 depending on what muscle I'm working on and how many reps and sets I'm doing. For me front raises are light but biceps and triceps are heavier. You could always fill them with less water to make them lighter or with sand to make them heavier once you get started and see how they feel for you.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    That seems like a very large water bottle so I'm not sure how easy it will be to hold on to. You can go to a thrift store such as goodwill and pick up a couple of 10# dumbbells inexpensively. You will have to experiment to see what weight you can handle for different exercises. Weights that are challenging for a squat will probably be impossible to use for certain upper body/arm movements.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    You'd be better off just doing a body weight routine and maybe adding some other resistance band work.

In regards to the weight, it would depend on the movement. Nobody uses the same weight for every movement...your legs are a lot stronger than your arms...you're going to be able to squat way more than you can arm curl for example.

When lifting, you should be working your entire body, not just a few muscles in isolation.
  • AMC110
    AMC110 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    That seems like a very large water bottle so I'm not sure how easy it will be to hold on to.

They're 5-litre bottles of Ice Vale Spring Water which have carry handles on top.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i used to do bicep curls with the milk jug when i first got the lift bug :p now i just use them for offloaded suitcase carries coming home from the grocery store.

what's 'too heavy' is relative to your own strength. people normally choose a weight they can do for 5 reps, if they're going 'heavy'. or 8-12 reps if they want to be 'light'. and then each series of x reps is a 'set' and you rest afterwards. most people do from three to five sets, if that's any help.

i wouldn't vary speed, but it's up to you. it's more about going slow enough that you can 'feel' your form and keep it solid, but not so slow that you exhaust the muscle too much to get through the set.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    That’s not exactly strength training and by lifting those do you mean doing curls? Because you won’t have a very large exercise selection using water bottles with handles on top
  • AMC110
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »
    That’s not exactly strength training and by lifting those do you mean doing curls?

I mean using them like dumbbells - there are a wide range of moves you can do with dumbbells.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    AMC110 wrote: »
    That’s not exactly strength training and by lifting those do you mean doing curls?

I mean using them like dumbbells - there are a wide range of moves you can do with dumbbells.

you can use anything you want in place of dumbbells, as long as you have the appropriate weight or resistance for that particular exercise, and you are able to progressively (and safely) add weight.
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    If you have a Five Below in your area, you can get up to 10 lb. dumbbells there for under $5. Otherwise, like others have said, just try out your bottles. If they're too heavy to start with, put less water in them. If they're too light, use sand. Good luck!

If you want to focus on strength, I would look into bodyweight exercises as well. Just do a search for "Prison Bodywight Exercises" and you'll probably get a good starting point.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    based on your description, they're going to act more like Kettlebells. Look up kettlebell exercises.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    AMC110 wrote: »

True...but most people use various weights depending on the movement.
  • AMC110
    Options
    based on your description, they're going to act more like Kettlebells. Look up kettlebell exercises.

Thanks for the tip!