Just cardio?

Options
My overall goal is to become the healthiest version of myself. I'm almost there being 5'2 and 129lbs. For the most part I only do cardio which includes running 4.5 miles on the elliptical, 6 minutes on the stair stepper, and 30 minutes walking fast and gradually going slower as a cool down; I do stretches as well. My question is should I start doing some strenght training? I do it every once in a while, but was wondering the benefits of incorporating it more.

I will also take any beginner advice because I'm clueless about it.

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Start now. This will help you retain more muscle while you're working on those final pounds. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you

Yup this. Do it.
  • KarenSmith2018
    KarenSmith2018 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Strength training helps build and maintain muscle mass which supports your other activities. I have found that strength training has made a significant improvement to my running and how I recover. One or two sessions a week covering compound lifts should be enough
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Strength training helps build and maintain muscle mass which supports your other activities. I have found that strength training has made a significant improvement to my running and how I recover. One or two sessions a week covering compound lifts should be enough

Two, maybe. One, no. That’s why I linked to the thread above...it’s best to go with a tried and true beginner program that runs three days a week. Also at the OP’s size it’s going to be difficult to impossible to build muscle unless she decides to recomp or bulk.
  • LyssaRonnell
    LyssaRonnell Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I think I'm going to try it out for 2x a week if I can figure it all out. Today I used the strength training machines, but I'm not sure if that is what I shuld be doing.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    My overall goal is to become the healthiest version of myself. I'm almost there being 5'2 and 129lbs. For the most part I only do cardio which includes running 4.5 miles on the elliptical, 6 minutes on the stair stepper, and 30 minutes walking fast and gradually going slower as a cool down; I do stretches as well. My question is should I start doing some strenght training? I do it every once in a while, but was wondering the benefits of incorporating it more.

I will also take any beginner advice because I'm clueless about it.

General health is about a combination of your diet, cardiovascular work, strength work and flexibility. Within that you need to identify what the balance of those is. The key is that strength and CV work are complementary.

CV work improves your stamina and capacity, with strength aiding body composition.

Two or three days per week of either bodyweight training or an introductory free weight plan will pay dividends. I'd also recommend some form of structured plan for your CV work, rather than just the time based you describe. That really depends on what your objectives are.

When I started to train more seriously I opted for running, but cycling, swimming, rowing are all good options. Cycling or running have the advantage of getting you out of the gym as well. There are lots of plans.
  • LyssaRonnell
    Options
    I looked through the links. I know this is going to sound dumb, but I'm still clueless and a little confused on what to do.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,316 Member
    Options

[Good advice to OP snipped by reply-er]

When I started to train more seriously I opted for running, but cycling, swimming, rowing are all good options. Cycling or running have the advantage of getting you out of the gym as well. There are lots of plans.

Just for the record: Rowing also happens on rivers, lakes and even oceans. Usually, exercise on large bodies of water also gets one out of the gym. ;) (Did you guess I'm a rower? Machines are a good workout when my river is frozen, but they're not the best part. Rowing on water is more accessible in more locations than a lot of people realize.)

OP, +1 to adding strength training, and to that "Which lifting program is best for you" thread that's linked above. Getting stronger improves everything: The range of things you can do easily in daily life, injury avoidance, bone quality, healthy aging, and much more.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,556 Member
    Options
    OP look at it objectively. Do at least one exercise per body part.

Legs
    Back
    Chest
    Shoulders
    Arms
    Abs

Really doesn't matter that much about the exercise if you're a beginner, but if you can do compound exercises, then that's a better choice.
    You may want to see if you can sign up with a trainer for a few sessions and they can teach you how to do these exercises.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    For beginning strength I'm a big fan of Stronglifts 4 x 5 as it's a very simple program that consist of 5 exercises (all compound lifts) broken up in two workouts that consist of 3 exercises each. There are always 5 reps per set and 5 sets per workout.

You start of with an empty bar and add weight as you go along. The suggested progression of 5lbs per workout may be a little aggressive for some people, only you can be the judge of that.

Check it out at....

https://stronglifts.com/5x5/
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Just for the record: Rowing also happens on rivers, lakes and even oceans. Usually, exercise on large bodies of water also gets one out of the gym. ;) (Did you guess I'm a rower? Machines are a good workout when my river is frozen, but they're not the best part. Rowing on water is more accessible in more locations than a lot of people realize.

Fair point :)

I've got three clubs within an hour's drive of here.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I looked through the links. I know this is going to sound dumb, but I'm still clueless and a little confused on what to do.

Based on suggestions here, I started doing the Nerd Fitness beginner body weight program (https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/) a few weeks ago as a complete strength beginner and have really been enjoying it. It's great to do at home becauseyou don't need any equipment except for something kind of heavy that you can lift with one hand (I've been using a tub of cat litter) and maybe something to lean on, the exercises are basic so it's really easy to find videos and websites demonstrating good form, and even as a total beginner, it's pretty easy to make things more or less difficult as needed.
  • LyssaRonnell
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I looked through them and they all cost money. :/ I'm unfortunately a poor college student. I found an app called jefit that has beginner workouts, has anyone heard of that? I found a beginners machine only womens strenght training 3x a week I think I'll try out with cardio 2x a week. Do you guys think that sounds like A good plan?
  • LyssaRonnell
    Options
    My goal is to look toned, not bulky. I still don't know exactly what I'm doing, so hopefully I get good results.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Strength training is extremely important - as we age we lose muscle mass so doing resistance training/lifting weights helps us to hold on to muscle which means we will age in a fitter/healthier/stronger way.

As we get older our bone density decreases, lifting weights helps with that. So its time for you to start strength training. I don't use gyms, rather my home is my gym - I have a few sets of dumbells with varying weights, I follow my own programme now but to begin with I used Fitness Blender strength workouts and Jessica Smith TV (both on youtube).

Lifting weights does not mean you will get 'bulky' - that is a myth, unless you eat at a surplus for the purpose of bigger muscle gains.