Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

1 kg chicken breast a day?

2»

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    erickirb wrote: »
    psuLemon wrote: »
    arenavles wrote: »
    If you want to bulk up you need lots of protein but no matter what you still need carbs. Your muscle depend on them, sure you need protein for building them but with no carbs you will not have results.

You really dont need a ton of protein to build muscle, ~.8 - 1.4g/lb per lbm.

I would say you need much less protein than that, if you are in a surplus. Carbs are king for building muscle, as long as you get adequate protein and associated amino acids. the numbers you put forth are more for maintaining muscle in a deficit, or building muscle in maintenance.

Those are the recommendations that come from Alan Aragon and Eric Helms. But it would be interesting to see if there were any meta-analyses around this.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited December 2017
    OP, the problem with that approach is that chicken isnt very calorie dense, so it might be a struggle to get enough calories.

Add ranch sauce to buffalo wing recipe. Probably 50% more licky cals...
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    If you want to bulk up you need lots of protein but no matter what you still need carbs. Your muscle depend on them, sure you need protein for building them but with no carbs you will not have results.

I would say you need much less protein than that, if you are in a surplus. Carbs are king for building muscle, as long as you get adequate protein and associated amino acids. the numbers you put forth are more for maintaining muscle in a deficit, or building muscle in maintenance.

Those are the recommendations that come from Alan Aragon and Eric Helms. But it would be interesting to see if there were any meta-analyses around this.

Is that their recommendation in a surplus? or in general, or was it broken out more than just a range? Maybe the 0.8 in maintenance or a surplus and 1.4 in a deficit???
  • psuLemon

Is that their recommendation in a surplus? or in general, or was it broken out more than just a range? Maybe the 0.8 in maintenance or a surplus and 1.4 in a deficit???

Recommend protein intake for building muscle. I know that is what is recommend in Alan's book (and he goes off of Eric Helm's recommendations). But it's been awhile since I read, so I would have to validate if that was deficit, maintenance and/or bulking.
  • psuLemon
    Found Eric Helms most recent recommendations.

https://youtu.be/wC6aG4dlRZg
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    usmcmp wrote: »
    I'm just going to say that following Zyzz's diet isn't going to get you far. His physique didn't come from his diet, it came from massive amounts of steroids.

For someone so well respected and knowledgeable that is a very short sighted and non-factual statement.

I've seen all the information he put out as advice to others compared to what he said he actually did as far as diet. He promoted all the broscience and followed almost none of it. So, I still stand by the statement that his diet (the one the OP shared, a bro diet promoted by him) wasn't what made his physique. Dude ate McDonald's all the time. He just trained hard and took appropriate cycles for how he responded.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    edited December 2017
    I'm just going to say that following Zyzz's diet isn't going to get you far. His physique didn't come from his diet, it came from massive amounts of steroids.

For someone so well respected and knowledgeable that is a very short sighted and non-factual statement.

I've seen all the information he put out as advice to others compared to what he said he actually did as far as diet. He promoted all the broscience and followed almost none of it. So, I still stand by the statement that his diet (the one the OP shared, a bro diet promoted by him) wasn't what made his physique. Dude ate McDonald's all the time. He just trained hard and took appropriate cycles for how he responded.

Concur. And I’ll take it a step further and say I don’t think there’s much about Zyzz to admire or emulate.

[ETA:] In regards to the OP’s question - if eating a kilo of chicken a day turns you on, go for it. Just realize that you reach a point where more protein isn’t accomplishing anything positive as far as muscle protein synthesis. Personally, I’d get sick of eating that much chicken pretty quickly.