Exercise induced asthma?

Options
Nat_cb
Nat_cb Posts: 5 Member
I don’t have asthma or allergies other than spring.

I have been actively training since May. My muscles can take a beating at this point, but my lungs can’t. A month ago I started training for the Spartan race so my training has changed a lot ( no machines, more interval training, etc)and that’s when I started to feel worse. I keep thinking I just need to get better at cardio (I’m 116 pounds trying to gain weight, and I lose weight too fast doing cardio so I do very little compared to strength training) because as soon as I start working out I’m out of breath already. I get frustrated. When I work out I can’t take full breaths and towards the end I sometimes get light headed or nauseous. Today I couldn’t catch my breath and struggled through the whole hour ( not clinically dangerous, just annoying and distracting) so my husband handed me his inhaler and it helped a little bit.
I had never heard of exercise induced asthma till today and it sure sounds like it, but I wanted to hear your experiences or tips or if you have this thing how do you feel? How do you manage it? Etc.

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I only get it in extreme circumstances - very long distance cycle rides or maximal effort training.
    Dust and cold can also cause irritation and set it off but my symptoms are mild compared to you, doesn't really affect me much during the exercise but gets me when I stop and fades away over a few days.

Do you breathe properly from your diaphragm? I only discovered I have a tendency to breathe by lifting my chest in my 30's! Helped explain why I was rubbish at endurance sports despite having very over-sized lungs, I just wasn't using them properly.
    Have a Google of the breathing techniques "zooming" or "breathplay".

Simply concentrating on breathing in through your nose and out through your mouth can help.

Would add that if this is new for you then you really should see your Doctor.

• ggeise14
    ggeise14 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's a thing. I used to get it when out cross-country skiing and had an inhaler for a while. For some reason it has gotten better and I no longer use an inhaler.
  • dcraven16
    dcraven16 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I was much the same way as you. I found that 'practicing' my steady breathing has helped, and I've gotten better as I run more. If you're trying to gain, just eat more protein/calories to compensate. Also, making sure that you are properly hydrated is SO SO SO important.

Also, I have found that limiting dairy helps my asthma in general, and I've heard the same thing said about soda. Based on your weight and that you're trying to gain, you could possibly try to up your calories a bit to avoid getting lightheaded. I would consider getting lightheaded while lifting weights clinically dangerous. Imagine if you got lost your balance or dropped a weight. I would really recommend seeing a doctor about this. It could be asthma, or it could just be a minor chest infection or allergy that you haven't noticed otherwise. Either way, if your muscles aren't getting enough oxygen, you're going to struggle through your routines and not see much gain.

If it is asthma, you can get an inhaler from your doctor, there are two main types. One is a rescue inhaler (instant short term help), and the other is a steroid inhaler (longer acting). Your doctor can tell you whats best for you. Just because you go on an inhaler, doesn't mean you're on it forever. My doctor and I worked out that I really only need to be on my steroid inhaler from November-February and we do a wean off in March. I've also really trimmed back on my use of a rescue inhaler as my cardiovascular system improves. So there are plenty of options available that aren't absolutely permanent.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Exercise (like HIIT) can induce athma-like symptoms but it cannot CAUSE asthma.

If you don't have asthma, as soon as you've recovered from the exercise that caused the symptoms, you can breathe normally again. If you have asthma, you still have asthma.

I know because I have had asthma all my life and the symptoms never go away regardless of the amount of rest I get after an exhausting exercise.