Adding Calories

Options
Hi all,

I need to add a good amount of calories to my diet, maybe 500 more, but need to keep an eye on cholesterol and the bad fats, like saturated, mono, etc that come with it. Now I know when you intake a calorie(s) there can be fat that comes with it, but just need to be sure its lean or not artery clogging. I ask this because my cholesterol came back at 200 and my bad cholesterol was a bit elevated as well 140. Granted I had not been working out either, but being predisposed to this condition does not help either. I have also returned to the gym so that extra calorie intake is important at this point in time as well. It would be great to see a listing sort of speak for Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner if possible. Breakfast can be difficult considering any frozen items come with bad fats and eggs, while now showing no correlation to heart problems, I still need to intake that in moderation. I really started to eat more chicken, fish, and vegetables, but again none of that contains a good amount of calories.

I appreciate whatever advice any of you give in advance.

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    If you want to add calories but keep your fats reasonable, more carbs (especially lower fibre) will be your best bet:

Bread, bagels, pasta, waffles, pancakes, candy, syrup, honey, jam, dried fruits, bananas, figs, mangos, cereals, juice, etc.
  • Greater_Gains
    Greater_Gains Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Oats all day long oats is also known to lower cholesterol and is a great carb to get in the diet
  • sardelsa
    Options
    Oats all day long oats is also known to lower cholesterol and is a great carb to get in the diet

They are also very filling to many people. I have like two spoons and I'm done, so I don't eat them very often on a bulk
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

They are also very filling to many people. I have like two spoons and I'm done, so I don't eat them very often on a bulk

i don't find them filling at all!
  • sardelsa
    Options

i don't find them filling at all!

Well there ya go, for you they would be great during a bulk!
  • rkovelman
    rkovelman Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    If you want to add calories but keep your fats reasonable, more carbs (especially lower fibre) will be your best bet:

Bread, bagels, pasta, waffles, pancakes, candy, syrup, honey, jam, dried fruits, bananas, figs, mangos, cereals, juice, etc.

Thank you!! What I found with waffles and pancakes, especially the frozen ones, they come with a good amount of bad fats. So that is what is driving my question I guess. And with cereals, I went from whole milk to 2%, this way I drop cholesterol and bad fats but keep the protein at a decent amount.

Blah...I hate oatmeal... it's so gross. I wish I liked the texture and taste of it.
  • sardelsa
    Options
    Make your own waffles and pancakes.. with mixes and you can even add protein powder, fruit etc. You can make them in bulk and freeze them
  • SmallBean2822
    SmallBean2822 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If you want more healthy fats try eating almonds and organic almond butter
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Cholesterol means very little as high HDL (good fats) will increase total cholesterol. What does your triglycerides, HDL, and LDLs look like? Do you know your A1C?

Also, the only bad fat is transfats. The more research released on Sat Fat, the more science is suggesting it's not bad for you. In fact, sat fat is required by the human body, otherwise it will create it's own out of carbs. Mono fats (MUFA) are very healthy for you and have been linked to improved metabolic markers, especially Omega 3's (found in fish). Fibrous vegetables are highly correlated to improved metabolic markers.

In terms of the OP, add in avocado, oily fish, starchy veggies, and leaner proteins (like bison, elk, etc...).