What would you consider 5'4 and 140 weight wise?

Options

Replies

• DananaNanas
    DananaNanas Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    @naj1991 I glanced at the photo and thought, "Oh, she posted a picture from a magazine of some famous person who has the shape she wants." Then I read the caption and realized it was you!

I thought the same thing!

• ianjchadwick
    ianjchadwick Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I think you look absolutely amazing! You shouldn't listen to anyone who says otherwise...
  • naj1991
    naj1991 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    thank you !!! A friend of mine who is photographer took this and a few other photos of me for her portfolio... I loved the shoot...

you guys (and gals) are literally the best! it is really sad to say, but I have never heard so many kind words about myself. It gives me another perspective of how i am viewed. And althought, true, it is about how I view myself, I can say I agree to stay where I am at for now and kind of get used to it before deciding to gain more or not... now I just have to focus on not being so self conscience when wearing certain things and display confidence!
  • naj1991
    Options
    You look great OP, not "skinny," nice curves.. healthy looking... I'd be happy there if I were your size and had your goals! I agree with @vintagefeline... you may continue to get teased some if you're still the "skinny one" out of your friend group or whatever but you have to let that roll off your back :)

ETA I'm 5'4 and 142 pounds... trying to lose because I still think I look overweight! Funny how things can be so different.

Wow interesting! Im sure you look great... I thought abt going to 142-143 to make sure I hold at least 140...
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    naj1991 wrote: »
    I have been trying to gain weight for years. I started at around 110 and now im around 140. I am african american and still get called skinny from time to time (alot less than before). I know u can only judge so much without a photo, but I am pear shape... I would like to be in the "thick"/curvy range and not be considered skinny anymore. Im a female 26 years old

What do YOU think about your weight? Cos that's all that matters?

well, part of me still thinks I am skinny, but I don't know if it is because I always see the tiny 110 pound girl in the mirror or if I really am still tiny. I know what i would like to be....that's curvy/thick(er) but i don't really know if I am yet, and never really have anyone to ask.

Most of us on MFP have the opposite problem, we were overweight and all we see is the fat person in the mirror, even after the loss. But the same rule applies. Your view of yourself will adjust over time. Keep in mind if you gain quickly and without resistance training, you don't get to control as much where the weight will go on your body.

even with resistance training you dont have a say where fat and weight will go as it is. it has a lot to do with genetics and where you gain or lose the quickest. if you lose faster say from your butt then it may be the first place you gain it. just like you cant spot reduce you cant spot gain
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    You are exactly my size. I say own it, and don't wish for ice in the wintertime.
  • naj1991
    Options
    Hey everyone! Just wanted to say thanks for the support. You all were right, I am now starting to notice my size..and I realize i am not THAT small anymore, BUT I have decided to push into the low end of "overweight" according to the bmi scale (im 5'4 140..anything over 145 is overweight). I am thinking of going to 145 or possibly even 150. I'd like to hear your thoughts, and hope to recieve continued encouragement and support.
  • naj1991
    Options
    You are exactly my size. I say own it, and don't wish for ice in the wintertime.

Thank you! Im seriously thinking of gaining a little more.. nothing crazy.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! Just wanted to say thanks for the support. You all were right, I am now starting to notice my size..and I realize i am not THAT small anymore, BUT I have decided to push into the low end of "overweight" according to the bmi scale (im 5'4 140..anything over 145 is overweight). I am thinking of going to 145 or possibly even 150. I'd like to hear your thoughts, and hope to recieve continued encouragement and support.

BMI doesn't take body composition into account. Do what feels right for you. I'm 5'5" and my goal for this bulk is 145# I'm sitting around 19% BF at the moment at 135#.
  • naj1991
    Options

BMI doesn't take body composition into account. Do what feels right for you. I'm 5'5" and my goal for this bulk is 145# I'm sitting around 19% BF at the moment at 135#.

Congrats!! you can do it.

do you mind sharing what you are doing to bulk with me? maybe in personal message?
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options

Congrats!! you can do it.

do you mind sharing what you are doing to bulk with me? maybe in personal message?

PM sent.
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    thank you !!! A friend of mine who is photographer took this and a few other photos of me for her portfolio... I loved the shoot...

you guys (and gals) are literally the best! it is really sad to say, but I have never heard so many kind words about myself. It gives me another perspective of how i am viewed. And althought, true, it is about how I view myself, I can say I agree to stay where I am at for now and kind of get used to it before deciding to gain more or not... now I just have to focus on not being so self conscience when wearing certain things and display confidence!

Girl! The photo looks great! The people who are still calling you skinny are probably JEALOUS. I'm 5'4'' and at your age I weighed about 125 and probably looked similar to your photo. At 20 I weighed 115 and at 16, 103 lbs. (I was a little shorter then, probably 5'2")

I'm twice your age now (52) and trying to get back down to 137. If were you, I would ignore those people and stay at your current weight. A lot of young African American women are overweight/obese, much more so now than when I was your age. Even though it is more culturally acceptable to be heavier, think of your health too. It is a lot easier if you never get fat, than trying to lose it once you get there. Bodies are different and you look beautiful in the photo. Not everyone is "thick" and surely you are curvy enough without being overweight. The most important thing is inside and plenty of people will find your appearance as it is now as attractive. No need to go after a cultural idea that would mean becoming unhealthy.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and I look pretty good at 140. I'm about 148-150 in my profile pic. And I prefer 135 the best. All depends on how you feel.

You look great.
  • naj1991
    Options
    lucerorojo wrote: »

Girl! The photo looks great! The people who are still calling you skinny are probably JEALOUS. I'm 5'4'' and at your age I weighed about 125 and probably looked similar to your photo. At 20 I weighed 115 and at 16, 103 lbs. (I was a little shorter then, probably 5'2")

I'm twice your age now (52) and trying to get back down to 137. If were you, I would ignore those people and stay at your current weight. A lot of young African American women are overweight/obese, much more so now than when I was your age. Even though it is more culturally acceptable to be heavier, think of your health too. It is a lot easier if you never get fat, than trying to lose it once you get there. Bodies are different and you look beautiful in the photo. Not everyone is "thick" and surely you are curvy enough without being overweight. The most important thing is inside and plenty of people will find your appearance as it is now as attractive. No need to go after a cultural idea that would mean becoming unhealthy.

wow! interesting we have alot in common. When I was 16-21 I was 110 and I was soo self concious!! I hated the way I looked, so I purposly began gaining weight. I lifted weights and literally ate about every hour I was awake (i had a fast metabolism). Even in doing this it took me MONTHS to get from 110 to 125. Maybe almost a year to gain 15 pounds. Then somewhere around age 24-25 I wanted to gain to 130, which was my goal, and tried but never stayed focused. Eventually I got there (early 2017). Then during 2017 I ended up gaining 10 pounds.. now at 140. I wanted to gain the weight, but I don't feel like I worked nearly as hard to get here. and ppl still guess my weight wrong..thinking im much ligher then I am, because I have alot of muscle. In saying I want to be curvy or "thick" Im not saying I want to be overweight or fat. I plan to lift weights and stay healthy, but I just want to be bigger and not "skinny", Even other races of ppl still tell me im "soo tiny" like Im a twig...its fustrating!! BUT i do hear you, and I always think of that...like after kids or later in life. So I plan to keep my weight in perspective. I dont think i look "big" or even "thick" now. but this is why I came here...for opinoons, because we can never see how we look ourselves :)
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    You look great OP. If you still aren't happy with your body once you gain more weight, rather than keep gaining, you can break it up into cycles (that way you aren't just gaining fat.. as muscle gains tend to taper off the less lean you become). Before I started this bulk cycle I was 130lbs. I want to be 140-145lbs lean... it is going to take me probably another bulk to get there.. it's like... two steps forward, one step back. But eventually you get there.
  • mustb60
    mustb60 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    The generic "healthy weight range" for 5'4" is 110-144. But that is just a generalization, and how you carry your weight, how you dress, and how you feel about cultural standards will all affect how that looks to you in the mirror and how other people see you. And often the difference between "skinny" and "curvy" is actually weight distribution, not the number on the scale.

I would not consider 5'4" 140 lbs skinny at all, but my opinion on that really shouldn't count that much to you :). You and your doctor should determine what weight is healthy for you, and then it's up to you to decide what weight you are actually happy at. I know it's hard, but try not to let other people define how you look! Everyone has their own internal issues, and they often try to drop those issues on other people to make themselves feel better.

Totally agree!!
  • mustb60
    mustb60 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    ff3p2xt7vri3.jpg

Photo of me at about 130...10 pounds ago.

Looking awesome! Lovely dress!!
  • naj1991
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    You look great OP. If you still aren't happy with your body once you gain more weight, rather than keep gaining, you can break it up into cycles (that way you aren't just gaining fat.. as muscle gains tend to taper off the less lean you become). Before I started this bulk cycle I was 130lbs. I want to be 140-145lbs lean... it is going to take me probably another bulk to get there.. it's like... two steps forward, one step back. But eventually you get there.

I totally agree,
    I think I will be okay with the last bit. I plan to add the bulk and cutting methods into my weight lifting routine so that I can maintain my curves but also maintain a solid toned look. Im going to Jamacia in march!! I wanna look good :)
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    You look amazing! I can relate to still feeling skinny - I'm 5'3 and went from 108 lbs to around 130. Logically I know that's a healthy weight and I'm not skinny but I still feel it and still get comments about it from friends. I guess it's the same as when people lose weight but still feel big.
    Oh and by the way I would love to be 'pear shaped'! We are all very good at self criticism;I dislike my shape but am trying to accept what I am because it's genetics and can't be changed. Good luck on your journey!