How to track "tonnage"

Options
Does any one track the amount of weight lifted? Trying to figure out what a goal would be, say for bench press. I am thinking out loud. But say today I am going to max out. Hit a single at 290, 310 and 315. Now, I need to get some work done......I'm thinking like 5 sets of 3 at 265. But instead of keeping track of reps, sets and weight. What if we tracked weight moved. 5x3@265=3975. Or 8 sets of 2 at 250=4000.

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    My bodyspace app does that for me.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure that Jefit app sends a weekly stats email.
  • gym4life64
    gym4life64 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I am looking for how do you program, or plan what that amount should be.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    hmm, I have no idea. But, the fine folks of Eat, Train Progress group might.
  • thepragmattic
    thepragmattic Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Gym, here you go. He posted a zip file with it. it’s a little clunky until you get it fine tuned but it tracks what you are looking for!

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=5014693
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    gym4life64 wrote: »
    I am looking for how do you program, or plan what that amount should be.

Don't.

10x3 @ 75 =10x9 @25

Same tonnage, doesn't mean same impact/effect.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Weight lifted or tonage doesn't translate into useful data for needed volume to adapt on its own.

You need to factor in the appropriate intensity for the volume & frequency of the lift(s) of your specific goal.

For example for overall volume and strength for powerlifting ...five sets of three is less optimal than three sets of five for the bench, but could be more appropriate for a second day of deadlifts for a lower day of intensity in the week.

The stress or muscle stimulas must be accounted for and adjusted if needed.

I suggest reading the book "Practical Programming" for starters if you are looking to dip in the programming pool.

• Jonnydebrasco
    Jonnydebrasco Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    You really dont, you want to grow? All you need to do is progressive loading to your muscles. Rule of thumb is too many or too little reps is not going to gain so stick to six to ten reps and add everytime. If you are looking for just strength then the 5 x 5 rule will apply to you again with heavy weights.I hope i understood what you ment.
  • Chieflrg
    Options
    Progressively loading your muscles at the right intensity within a properly written program.

How does one program without knowing your progress, frequency, intensity, etc...within your program?

Do you bench 1 or 4 times a week? If so what is the volume/intensity for those days?

Is adaptation currently taking place of the muscles? What rate or have you plateaued?

One can achieve proper muscle stimulas within a multitude of rep ranges as long as it's programmed correctly. Even the length of rest periods will factor into it.

What I'm saying is yes you want volume to go up when needed to force adaptation.

Tonage progressing doesn't necessarily equate into enough stress to your muscles. I can easily make my tonage go up with little stress to my muscles.

Generally if your lifts are progressing at any rate you are achieving adaptation, can it be better? More than likely, but not with the info within this post.

• gym4life64
    gym4life64 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I know I could make tonnage up with a lot of reps and little weight, but that's not what I would do, or what I am looking for. Also just counting work sets. Take my bench work Monday. I went to 315 for a single. Then a big bench guy at the gym said I needed to now hit 4000lbs in 14 reps. So, I did 7 sets of 2 with 285. Just wonder where and how to figure that out. He didn't really say. I will say it was A LOT of work!
  • Chieflrg
    Options
    How many reps did you have in tank with 315 single? If only one, I would of done 3 sets of five at 270(15 reps) & achieved over 4000 I tonage.

7×2 scheme is virtually the same though the first 3-4 sets might of been a touch easier or less stress I would hazard.

You could use a RPE chart and it would give you a decent idea on the stress involved between certain weights in relation to reps left in tank.