What do you think of my Gym weightlifting routine?

Options
2»

Replies

• ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Zorsus wrote: »
    Did you make it up yourself?
    Yes. I'm fairly new to this and still haven't fully made up my mind on what to do.

If you're new, then you'll see some pretty significant results with one of the simple beginner programs and less than an hour in the gym 3x per week. No need to jump from nothing to living in the gym. The stickied forum post lists some good programs.

Compound movements in place of the machine and isolation work will also strengthen your core and other muscles used to stabilize yourself (as in deadlifts instead of the leg curl machine, squats instead of leg press, DB/BB rows,..). Also, as written, is rather low on the pulling-type movements. And dumbbells will be limiting on squat weight (arms/grip will be the limiting factor, not quad strength).
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Zorsus wrote: »
    Did you make it up yourself?
    Yes. I'm fairly new to this and still haven't fully made up my mind on what to do.

OP: Your "program" is just too busy and too dependent on isolation work.

As a beginner, all you need to do is a basic compound lifting program like Starting Strength (3x5) or Stronglifts (5x5) which you only do 3 days a week. Any more than that would be wasted effort for you.

Click on the link to the "Which lifting program is best for you" thread (moderated by psuLemon) posted above, look over the beginner program listings at the top of the thread (which includes Starting Strength, Stronglifts and others), choose one and just forget about trying to reinvent the wheel by doing it yourself.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    JerSchmare wrote: »
    watts6151 wrote: »
    Ok, so I fixed it for you. This is more like something I would do. It balances strength with hypertrophy, and I think is a good mix and balance of all body parts.

■Saturday (Upper):

Bench Press (5x5)
    Incline Press 3x10-12
    Rows (5x5)
    Pull ups 3x10, eventually add weight
    OHP 5x5
    Bicep Curl (3x8-12)
    Triceps 3x8-12

■Sunday (Lower):

Squat (5x5)
    Leg Press 3x8-12
    Dumbbell Lung (3x8-12)
    Romanian Deadlift (5x5)
    Leg Curls (3x8-12)
    Leg Extensions (3x8-12)
    Dumbbell Calf Raise (4x10-15)

■Monday (60 minutes cardio on Pedal) Optional, not necessary.

■Tuesday (Upper)

Bench Press (4x8-12)
    Incline Press 3x10-12
    Rows (4x8-12)
    Pull ups 3x10, eventually add weight
    OHP 3x8-12
    Bicep Curl (3x8-12)
    Triceps 3x8-12

■Wednesday (Lower):

Squat (4x10-12)
    Leg Press 3x8-12
    Dumbbell Lung (3x8-12)
    Romanian Deadlift (4x8-12)
    Leg Curls (3x8-12)
    Leg Extensions (3x8-12)
    Dumbbell Calf Raise (4x10-15)

■Thursday (60 minutes Cardio on Treadmill). Optional, but not necessary

■Friday - Rest OR Pedal / Treadmill. Optional, but not necessary

This is just as bad IMO
    Bench, incline bench followed by ohp
    In the same routine seriously?

Yes. This is literally what I do. Not the above, but Bench, incline and OHP. OHP is an accessory, not a primary lift. Some programs treat OHP like a big lift, but it’s not, it’s an accessory to Bench.

I do a bench-focused upper day with OHP accessory work and an OHP-focused upper day with bench accessory work. Different strokes, different goals.

I know. Just making the point that OHP is not a main lift. Some programs, like 5/3/1, as an example treat it as a main, but it’s not. That’s all I’m saying.

Actually it can be and is to some lifters. It's dependant on your goals, training, or sport.

Wendler's isn't exactly a great program, so no argument there.
  • jesse_323
    jesse_323 Posts: 49 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    If you are looking at an Upper/Lower split, consider this one https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/phul-workout

I am starting that one as soon as soon as I finish my current one in a few weeks. If you are a beginner (like I am) then consider a 3 day full body routine. I am personally doing this one https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/jason-blaha-ice-cream-fitness-5x5-novice-workout It's not popular by everyone but I like it and have seen good strength gains.

Good luck!