Heavy weight-low rep vs medium weight-higher rep?

Options
I've been reading around about the difference between using heavy weights at low repetition and medium weights at higher repetition. I'm just starting out and don't really know where to begin. There's a lot of information knocking about!

Over the Christmas holidays I've been working out at home using our elliptical machine (10-15 minute cardio, increasing speed at medium resistance then 10 minutes on medium high to very high resistance) and the dumbbells we have at home which are only 6 kg each. I've been doing basic routines of squats, lunges and the like carrying 12 kg (2 dumbbells), looking at 10 reps 3 times over.

I guess there's no standard weight you should lift, whatever challenges you is where you're at. Currently what I'm doing seems to be challenging my body but I'm unsure how to progress. When I go back to uni in a couple of weeks I'll have access to the gym and much heavier weight than what I have at home so I have the option to lift heavy (well what I consider heavy anyway) with low reps as well as working with medium weights.

What are the different results they will achieve? Is one considered better than the other or are they just different?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    NadNight wrote: »
    I've been reading around about the difference between using heavy weights at low repetition and medium weights at higher repetition. I'm just starting out and don't really know where to begin. There's a lot of information knocking about!

Over the Christmas holidays I've been working out at home using our elliptical machine (10-15 minute cardio, increasing speed at medium resistance then 10 minutes on medium high to very high resistance) and the dumbbells we have at home which are only 6 kg each. I've been doing basic routines of squats, lunges and the like carrying 12 kg (2 dumbbells), looking at 10 reps 3 times over.

I guess there's no standard weight you should lift, whatever challenges you is where you're at. Currently what I'm doing seems to be challenging my body but I'm unsure how to progress. When I go back to uni in a couple of weeks I'll have access to the gym and much heavier weight than what I have at home so I have the option to lift heavy (well what I consider heavy anyway) with low reps as well as working with medium weights.

What are the different results they will achieve? Is one considered better than the other or are they just different?

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

First, I'd recommend a good beginner routine. If you like lower body, I'd recommend starting with StrongCurves. Regarding reps/weight. Ideally, once you build your foundation of strength (coming from lower rep higher weight), one should work a variety of rep ranges and weights. This way you work both fast twitch (strength) and slow twitch (endurance) muscle fibers. This way, you also provide yourself with the greatest chance of getting strength and providing a change for muscles gains from hypertrophy.

So what's best, is not thing of one or the other as being better, but recognize that each rep range and weight ranges has their benefits and limitations. Personally, I train from 3 to 5 reps, all the way to 15 to 20 reps.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

First, I'd recommend a good beginner routine. If you like lower body, I'd recommend starting with StrongCurves. Regarding reps/weight. Ideally, once you build your foundation of strength (coming from lower rep higher weight), one should work a variety of rep ranges and weights. This way you work both fast twitch (strength) and slow twitch (endurance) muscle fibers. This way, you also provide yourself with the greatest chance of getting strength and providing a change for muscles gains from hypertrophy.

So what's best, is not thing of one or the other as being better, but recognize that each rep range and weight ranges has their benefits and limitations. Personally, I train from 3 to 5 reps, all the way to 15 to 20 reps.

All of this! I had a whole answer typed out and you summed it up way better than I did, even down to the muscle fiber mention :)

I also use a variety of rep ranges, and have found great success that way.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

All of this! I had a whole answer typed out and you summed it up way better than I did, even down to the muscle fiber mention :)

I also use a variety of rep ranges, and have found great success that way.

LOL. That reminds me, I need to add to one of your questions.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    Any rep range will work as long as you choose a weight that is challenging for that range. I prefer to use Steve Shaw's rep/goal system, which has you essentially max out every set. Instead of doing 3 x 8-12 and stopping when you hit 12 just because you're at the high end of the rep range for the set, I do 3 x max reps that add to 35. So, set 1 could be 15, set 2 could be 12, and set 3 could be 9 (total reps over 3 sets would be 36, so the following week I'd move up my weight).

Steve Shaw explains it in his Massive Iron ebook, but if you browse his YouTube channel, he explains it all for free as well.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Any rep range will work as long as you choose a weight that is challenging for that range. I prefer to use Steve Shaw's rep/goal system, which has you essentially max out every set. Instead of doing 3 x 8-12 and stopping when you hit 12 just because you're at the high end of the rep range for the set, I do 3 x max reps that add to 35. So, set 1 could be 15, set 2 could be 12, and set 3 could be 9 (total reps over 3 sets would be 36, so the following week I'd move up my weight).

Steve Shaw explains it in his Massive Iron ebook, but if you browse his YouTube channel, he explains it all for free as well.

Training to failure is training to fail.

Max reps every session is a recipe for disaster as soon as you get past your beginner/newbie gains.
  • Davidsdottir
    Options

Max reps every session is a recipe for disaster as soon as you get past your beginner/newbie gains.

Not training to failure. Stopping before you fail or when your form starts to break down. If you're stopping at am arbitrary number every time and leaving reps on the table, you aren't recruiting max potential. As I said, Shaw explains it better.
  • sardelsa
    Options

Not training to failure. Stopping before you fail or when your form starts to break down. If you're stopping at am arbitrary number every time and leaving reps on the table, you aren't recruiting max potential. As I said, Shaw explains it better.

This is going to largely depend on your goals and programming. I leave reps on the table all the time. But I also work the same muscle group back to back and 5x per week so going to max wouldn't make sense for me
  • Davidsdottir
    Options

This is going to largely depend on your goals and programming. I leave reps on the table all the time. But I also work the same muscle group back to back and 5x per week so going to max wouldn't make sense for me

I'm just explaining the training philosophy that I follow. It's not for everyone.
  • stanmann571
    Options

Italicized isn't Max reps then And Bolded is definitionally Failure.

If you're leaving reps on the table, you're improving recovery, and building good habits as a beginner.

At intermediate and advanced levels, when you're doing 2-3 programmed reps and grinding every one, Great. You've got 4-10 minutes programmed recovery before you do that again. And again. and Again.
  • psuLemon
    edited January 2018
    Options

Unless a person's goal is super ultra endurance, if you can hit 35 reps, you probably chose the wrong weight. I know that regardless if I am 3 to 5 reps or 15 to 20 reps, I choose the weight appropriate to that range and often struggle to hit the top number. I do agree with others that failure is not a good thing, unless you finish with a failure set.

ETA: If someone likes the programming and can stand the volume, than I wouldn't change what you are doing. But I know for me, that volume would cause my tendinitis to flare up.
  • Davidsdottir
    Options

Unless a person's goal is super ultra endurance, if you can hit 35 reps, you probably chose the wrong weight. I know that regardless if I am 3 to 5 reps or 15 to 20 reps, I choose the weight appropriate to that range and often struggle to hit the top number. I do agree with others that failure is not a good thing, unless you finish with a failure set.

35 total reps is the same as 3 x 12.
  • sardelsa
    Options

I'm just explaining the training philosophy that I follow. It's not for everyone.

When you said 'you aren't recruiting max potential' I took it to mean that anyone who leaves reps is training suboptimally (as in not to their full potential). Sorry if I misunderstood!
  • psuLemon
    edited January 2018
    Options

Yes, but most people would have to deload on weight to hit 35 reps. So the loss in strength wouldn't be worth it to many.

It's the discussion of strength vs endurance.
  • sardelsa
    Options

Yes, but most people would have to deload on weight to hit 35 reps. So the loss in strength wouldn't be worth it to many.

Yea doing 35 deadlift reps in a row (ouch) vs 12.. rest.. 12.. rest.. 12.. will make a huge difference in what weight can be lifted
  • Davidsdottir
    Options

When you said 'you aren't recruiting max potential' I took it to mean that anyone who leaves reps is training suboptimally (as in not to their full potential). Sorry if I misunderstood!

Sorry, wasn't knocking other philosophies, just trying to explain the thinking behind it! You've obviously found something that works really well for you.
  • Davidsdottir
    Options

I don't think I understand. The 35 total reps would still be over 3 sets.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

Just to be pedantic: 3x12=36. As such, you're leaving a rep on the table by only doing 35 reps. ;)
  • stanmann571
    edited January 2018
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

Just to be pedantic: 3x12=36. As such, you're leaving a rep on the table by only doing 35 reps. ;)

I would also argue that with that set/rep scheme, you're not resting enough between sets.
  • JAYxMSxPES
    JAYxMSxPES Posts: 193 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

A lot of info so far in this thread, not sure how entirely useful it will be to you yet.

First, you need to identify what you're trying to achieve with weight lifting. Are you looking to significantly increase your strength? Support athletic development for a sport? Health and quality of life? Etc.,

Heavy weight & low reps vs. Medium weight and Med reps or higher reps... First, understand that heavy weight and low reps is typically something around 80% of your training max and probably no more than 5 reps. At this point your training both your muscles and nervous system to handle heavy loads. Med weight / reps, this can vary but can be anywhere from 6 to 12 reps depending on the type of system you're using and 75% or less of your training max is typically used.

Another med is to focus on strength-endurance and core strength & stability training. The intensity here is typically med to light with unilateral exercises being about 6 to 10 reps and bilateral exercises 12-20 reps with anywhere from 1 to 3 sets. This is where you can start combining exercises into more of a circuit to be more aerobically challenging as well

The other thing that's left out of the discussion is the frequency in-which you train also affects your overall volume. Frequency will likely vary depending on what you want to do as well. Without being very specific with what you want, this can be a very broad and generalized conversation. There isn't really a right / wrong way to train, just train in a manner that achieves your goals.
  • psuLemon
    Options

Is there a video? Because how would this be any different than 3 sets at a std rep range if neither are going to failure?