350+ pounds Support for Men & Women

Options

Replies

• NicoleVT83
    NicoleVT83 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Yeah I’m into more talking and opinions and feedback. Always looking for new food and recipes ideas, as well as people sharing what is working for them. Weekly results good or bad.
  • rabidhamster87
    rabidhamster87 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I think a question of the week would be a great way to keep everyone involved and talking to each other!

And congratulations on the 81 lbs lost!! That is absolutely nothing to sneeze at. You're knocking it out of the park!
  • CassieBinTC
    CassieBinTC Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Question of the week.....

Are you following a specific diet (Keto, Atkins) and if so why? Also, do you find something specific seems to be helping you knock it out of tye park?
  • rabidhamster87
    rabidhamster87 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I'm the same as Melanie. (My name is Rissa btw! Just realized I didn't include it in my intro post!)

CICO works best for me too! I know a lot of people swear by keto and it's supposed to be good for PCOS (which I have,) but I tried it last year and actually gained 10 lbs! It was just a lot harder for me than regular old CICO; CICO makes the most sense to me because I can see the numbers. I know that every pound lost is a 3500 calorie deficit, so I know that if I eat 1000 calories below what I spend in a day I should lose 2 lbs a week! Plus, then I don't feel deprived! If I want to have some candy, I can. I just have to budget for it!

I'm also kind of doing a modified intermittent fasting too. It just happened naturally because I don't like breakfast and I'm not hungry until closer to lunch time at 10:15 am or so, so I figured why force myself to eat if I don't want to? And I don't eat past 8 pm most nights because I don't want to get heartburn and I'm usually hungry as soon as I get home because I ate lunch so early. So, I end up going at least 14 hours without eating pretty much every day.

As far as specific things helping me knock it out of the park... Honestly, I've been blessed/lucky enough to remove several different negative influences from my life recently (a lot of debt and I stopped talking to a really toxic person) and it's just made everything much easier. I think those stressors were literally killing me!
  • CassieBinTC
    Options
    Nice to meet you Rissa @rabidhamster87!
  • CassieBinTC
    Options
    For me I have defiantly really been cognoscente of my carbs. I think like Rissa removing negative influences in my life has been huge. In August I officially split up from my husband of 13 years. When it became just my daughter and I that was such a weight lifted off of my shoulders. Plus if we wanted to have a bowl of strawberries for dinner we did and that was that. It shows you how far she and I have come in 6 months. Last night I made stir fry for my dinner and lunch today and when I sat down to eat she was wanting it too even though she had already eaten with her grandparents.

Also to be honest when my ex and I were having our last conversation about what we were doing with our marriage he brought up the fact that my weight was a big issue for him, so now every major milestone I hit is nothing but a even bigger middle finger to him. But now more so it is all for me. So I would have to say that has pushed me most to knock it out of the park.
  • pugsrmypatronus
    pugsrmypatronus Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks for coming up with the question Cassie! I'm not doing anything special like keto as I've done that so many times and the anxiety of doing low-carb is more than it's worth. I also have PCOS but I figure losing the weight in a healthy and not extreme way is better than another crash diet. I do try and focus on eating a lot of vegetables and plant based food as I use to not eat meat so I really enjoy that but I'm just keeping an eye on it more than anything. I'm still in the early part of this journey but I guess what I've found to help me be successful is using a food scale to measure so I can get a sense of portion sizes and reminding myself why this is important. I have to get a brain MRI scan done soon and I know I can't control what's happened in the past but I really want to work hard to make sure I'm putting my best foot forward!

As a few folks have mentioned I think removing negative influences is so critical as I'm guessing a lot of us may use food as a way to deal with those situations. I honestly think I may be the most negative thing in my life so I'm trying to focus on a little more self love and acceptance!
  • Mellykay88
    Mellykay88 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Ooh.. removing stress and negatively were huge for me as well! I actually switched jobs in October 2016 (right before I started losing weight). My previous job was so stressful that I cried before going to work sometimes. I couldn’t have been successful with this if I’d stayed there.
  • heartsaver81
    heartsaver81 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I definitely know the feeling. I've got 150lbs I need to lose. I have several severe health issue that make it hard to lose but I want to so bad. I use to be a runner and then got sick. They have had me on and off steroids for years and it makes it so hard to lose. If any of you ladies want to add me feel free. My husband is a body builder and we just got married, seeing how I looked in pics made me feel like a cloud. I'd love to look good again for me and him.
  • sarahchmielarz
    sarahchmielarz Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    @CassieBinTC I think a question of the week is great!

I'm with most of the people here, I'm not really following a specific diet, just tracking what I'm eating to stay under my nutrition limits. I've also committed to a few other things that have helped in the past - making my own food for all meals, one cheat meal per week (allows for a stress free date night with the hubs), no drive through and no soda.

You all are also a part of this commitment - it's the first time I've reached out for support in this way. You guys are so inspiring and I'm really hoping that this will help me get through the moments where my willpower is faltering.
  • MouseTmom
    MouseTmom Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Hi - so glad you created this!! I was on MFP a few years ago and lost about 60 pounds and then regained it plus +. Support from people in the same “weight class” is so important to me. I’m tired of having trouble getting up from a seated position - and off the floor OMG!!! The floor is the worst