New here - Super fast gaining tips please

Options
Hi all, I'm new to this and would appreciate any help/advice on how to gain weight fast.

I'm 5'10 and 9.4st and hate it!

Should I attempt to put the weight on first then start training or would doing both at the same time be more rewarding? (I have 5kg ankle weights and currently only able to do home workouts)

I'm totally clueless, so any calorie, routine, workout tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you and good luck to you all on your journey :)

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    It needs to be asked: Are you very thin due to a history of disordered eating?
  • Gainer018
    Gainer018 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    It needs to be asked: Are you very thin due to a history of disordered eating?

Not intentionally but food has been very much an after thought, rather than a vital must. I was constantly on the go so it's been easier to snack rather than have a sit down meal.
  • Gainer018
    Options
    You don't want to gain weight fast - you'll just put on a lot of fat, which isn't healthy or likely achieve a physique you'd be happy with.

Adding weight as muscle mass would be more beneficial - eat at a small surplus (to limit the inevitable fat gain) and find a progressive lifting program to follow (check out the stickied thread at the top of this gaining weight section of the forum - - there are body weight/home workout options)

To be honest I didn't think having fat at this stage was a bad thing but that makes sense. Thank you, i'll take a look at the thread.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Gainer018 wrote: »
    You don't want to gain weight fast - you'll just put on a lot of fat, which isn't healthy or likely achieve a physique you'd be happy with.

Adding weight as muscle mass would be more beneficial - eat at a small surplus (to limit the inevitable fat gain) and find a progressive lifting program to follow (check out the stickied thread at the top of this gaining weight section of the forum - - there are body weight/home workout options)

To be honest I didn't think having fat at this stage was a bad thing but that makes sense. Thank you, i'll take a look at the thread.

I can't tell you how many times I have heard this, only to see a thread in a month or two about how discussed they are about the results. Fast weight gains tends to go right to the stomach and not evenly distributed like most people would prefer.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

If I'm doing the conversion correct, you are 131 lbs which is only 1 lb under the normal weight range for your height. So there is no health reason to pack on some fat quickly. As others have said, you have no control where the fat will go, and because life has a cruel sense of humor it will probably start out going to the places you don't want it to :lol:

Also, if eating well has not been your strong point up to now, you don't want to swing to the other extreme and perhaps start yourself down the road to unhealthy overeating in response.

Set your goal to gain half-a-lb per week and start training now. Take the time to learn how to eat in a way that you enjoy and will keep you at a healthy weight for the rest of your life. Good luck!
  • Gainer018
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

If I'm doing the conversion correct, you are 131 lbs which is only 1 lb under the normal weight range for your height. So there is no health reason to pack on some fat quickly. As others have said, you have no control where the fat will go, and because life has a cruel sense of humor it will probably start out going to the places you don't want it to :lol:

Also, if eating well has not been your strong point up to now, you don't want to swing to the other extreme and perhaps start yourself down the road to unhealthy overeating in response.

Set your goal to gain half-a-lb per week and start training now. Take the time to learn how to eat in a way that you enjoy and will keep you at a healthy weight for the rest of your life. Good luck!

Yes you're right, my BMI isn't bad but you would never think that by my appearance and fatigue.

I totally agree, I have no intention to start stuffing myself with grease, tonnes of sugar or salt. I tried that in the past and I felt so ill it was horrible. I have been told I eat "too healthy" to gain weight but surely that cannot be right?

Thank you, you too :)
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

Yes you're right, my BMI isn't bad but you would never think that by my appearance and fatigue.

I totally agree, I have no intention to start stuffing myself with grease, tonnes of sugar or salt. I tried that in the past and I felt so ill it was horrible. I have been told I eat "too healthy" to gain weight but surely that cannot be right?

Yes and no. You can lose or gain weight eating "healthy". If your diet consists of mainly vegetables and fruits it's easy to feel full without eating many calories. If you add in nuts, meats, and fats (like avocados or oils) it could easily result in gaining weight. It's not the end of the world to have sugar or salt or greasy foods. In your case you might want to swap some of your lower calorie snacks for things like nuts and nut butters to add in extra calories.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

Yes and no. You can lose or gain weight eating "healthy". If your diet consists of mainly vegetables and fruits it's easy to feel full without eating many calories. If you add in nuts, meats, and fats (like avocados or oils) it could easily result in gaining weight. It's not the end of the world to have sugar or salt or greasy foods. In your case you might want to swap some of your lower calorie snacks for things like nuts and nut butters to add in extra calories.

Oh I can definitely gain weight while eating too healthy. It's the reason why I cut fats when I cut weight. Because I can house me some Kerry Gold cheese, nuts, and guacamole.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    usmcmp wrote: »

Oh I can definitely gain weight while eating too healthy. It's the reason why I cut fats when I cut weight. Because I can house me some Kerry Gold cheese, nuts, and guacamole.

I can eat my body weight in cheese and nuts daily.
  • brendanwhite84
    brendanwhite84 Posts: 220 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I gained 25 lbs at .5 lb per week (so, reasonably slow) and of that, during a heavy weightlifting regimen while supplementing with creatine monohydrate, about 17 lbs were muscle and 8 were fat. As a woman you'll gain proportionally less muscle.

Slow and steady wins the race for good body composition, in my books.

Edit: Oh, and to answer one of your questions, I'd highly recommend strength training while gaining for the above reasons!