35 and wearing a size 12, in little girls!!

Options
Hello everyone! My name is Kari and I'm a newbie here. I posted this in the Introduce Yourself on the main board but thought that I'd post it here too since this is where I'll probably spend most of my time. I'm here because of my New Years goals, like many people probably. My goals are a little different than many though in that I'm not here to lose weight, I'm one of those who needs to pick some up!

I'm a 35 year SAHM of 4 kids (13, 11, 8 and 5). My husband and I have been married for 14 years and have been together for 18. I am 5'1'' and currently weigh a whopping 94 lbs! I have been thin all of my life but I've never had any kind of eating disorder. I do tend to not eat the way that I should though, meaning I don't think anything about skipping a meal (usually breakfast or lunch if I'm super busy with the kids) and it's very rare for me to "clean my plate" at any meal. I've always attributed it to having a small stomach but truth be told I just don't have a big appetite. Last year, we also went through an incredibly emotionally stressful time. I tend to be one of those people who don't eat well when I'm stressed and I lost some weight from that also (not a great thing when you're already small!). While that situation is not 100% resolved yet it is getting better so that should help me in turning things around.

After my physical at the end of the year it became very clear that I need to make putting on weight a priority this year and was feeling overwhelmed how to even do that so I decided to come here. I know I need to track my calories (something I'm horrible at!) but I also need to make exercise (especially strength training) a priority so that I don't just get fat! So that's why I'm here: for a place to track my progress but also to have a community to help inspire me and hold me accountable for what I'm doing (or not doing!) My goal currently is to get to 115 lbs so I need to eat between 1900-2000 calories a day (according to the calculator here) Currently I'd be working out 5 days a week but only until March. I'm in a local community theater and am currently in a show with a lot of dancing. After that show is over I'll drop back and do less cardio and more strength training. I might continue at 5 days a week, I'm not sure about that yet so any advice is appreciated. I've never been one for working out a lot!

I can't wait to stop hearing comments like "Just go eat a sandwich already!" (like, if it was that easy people I wouldn't be 94 lbs at 35! lol) or "Real women have curves and a butt and boobs!" (Well, I've had 4 kids so I'm pretty sure I have all the physical attributes required to be a "real woman". lol) People don't often think about picking on someone who is skinny but it's just as hurtful to hear the comments and constant nagging from people as it is for someone who is overweight. I'd love to see our society get to a point where commenting on anyone's weight, no matter what end of the scale they are on was just not socially acceptable but we're definitely not there yet! But I'm looking forward to having a bit of a butt and some curves, I'm not gonna lie! Hopefully I'll get to the end of the year and like what I see in the mirror more than I do now cause all I see now is skin and bones and that my friends, is not cute!

That's all I can think to share for now. I'm looking forward to being part of the community here! Happy New Year to you all! May we all be successful in our goals this year, whatever they look like!

Replies

• juliegilburd
    juliegilburd Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you on your journey to gain weight! I'm the opposite - need to lose the amount that you weigh! :wink: But support is support, right?

If you search the forums for "Are you a hard gainer?" and also "calorie-dense foods" you will find some good foods to incorporate into your diet to help you reach your daily calorie goals. Also, if you need guidance on strength training (not sure if you do need guidance, but just in case), lots of people here recommend the Strong Curves program. (Easily Google-able, I believe.)
  • kfischer1018
    kfischer1018 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thank you Julie! And you're absolutely right, support is support and everyone can use some! Best of luck on your goal! I can't offer any advice but I'm a great cheerleader! lol And thank you for the tips. I'll look into the Strong Curves program for sure!
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    It sounds like we could be twins. Except I was always comfortable at 95lbs. I started packing on the weight when I hit 40. I got up to 111 of mostly fat. I had to gain a few pounds to get pregnant the second time around and I was able to do on the ice cream diet. ;) Meaning, I just ate more ice cream each night. Find something you enjoy and eat a bit more while you strength train so you are not putting on just fat.
  • kfischer1018
    Options
    It sounds like we could be twins. Except I was always comfortable at 95lbs. I started packing on the weight when I hit 40. I got up to 111 of mostly fat. I had to gain a few pounds to get pregnant the second time around and I was able to do on the ice cream diet. ;) Meaning, I just ate more ice cream each night. Find something you enjoy and eat a bit more while you strength train so you are not putting on just fat.

I like the idea of ice cream every night! Except that now that it's a whopping 20 degrees during the day I don't really want to eat it right now! lol
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Also, pre-planning will be best for you as you most likely forget to eat. With 4 young children and a demanding hobby, I'm sure you skip several meals without realizing it. Use MFP to plan out the night before (or for the whole week) exactly what you are going to eat and at what time. That way you will know that you are getting sufficient calories. Then stick to the plan no matter what. If you said you were going to eat a peanut butter sandwich at 12 and you aren't hungry, try to eat it anyway. If you are having issues eating what you planned start looking at the list of calorie dense foods and incorporate as many of those as you can. Cook with butter. Drink full fat milk. Snack on nuts, etc.
  • kfischer1018
    Options
    More great ideas @mom23mangos! Thanks! I was very excited to hit my calorie needs for today but then I forgot account for the fact that I had rehearsal tonight and would be dancing for about an hour total by the end of it, so after entering my exercise I had an additional 230 calories for the day! Ugh! I guess I need to make sure I add in an additional snack on rehearsal/show days in order to make up for that! I already try to eat one mid afternoon and one before bed. I guess I could add in a mid morning one too but I'm going to have to train myself to eat breakfast before 9:30, which doesn't leave much room for mid morning snacking when I eat lunch at 12. But I'll figure it out! It's just going to take some time and trial and error.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    You sound just like me. I was always underweight, unable to eat large meals or finish everything on my plate, would skip meals etc etc. And lose appetite when I'm stressed!
    I joined mfp in September 2016 and it's been a slow process but I've gradually gained weight! I've had to stop lifting due to health problems but hope to get back to it and in the meantime I'm doing a body weight programme.
    Things that have worked for me :log everything accurately, eat small frequent meals rather than 3 big ones, let go of the idea that you should 'eat clean', pre plan meals each day so you're not left with a big deficit at the end of the day, drink your calories if you can't face food and get lots of sleep! Good luck
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Nut butter is my go to for extra calories. It doesn't give me that full feeling that I hate but it packs the calories in.
  • laurenkerr345
    laurenkerr345 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I haven’t got any helpful advice as I’m in the same situation but it’s great to know I’m not the only one struggling with gaining weight! I’ve only just joined but I’m hoping to gradually gain weight as I’m 5ft 1 and weigh 91 pounds :#
    I have always been small but 6 months ago I was 97lbs. Between now and then I’ve gradually lost 6 pounds and I’m trying to get some good meal plan ideas to stick to as I tend to pick throughout the day and realise by about 5pm that I haven’t actually had a proper meal yet!

Good luck on your weight gain @kfischer1018 :)
  • kfischer1018
    Options
    @comptonelizabeth I'm glad to hear that you've had some success gaining weight with MFP! I know it's probably going to be a long, slow process but the support system here seems great! And thanks for sharing your tips! It's great to hear what has worked for others!

@RuNaRoUnDaFiEld a big yes to nut butters! So yummy and so filling without the bulk!!

@laurenkerr345 there's just something about knowing we are not alone that is kind of empowering! Best of luck on your journey! Here's to getting fit and healthy!
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options

I like the idea of ice cream every night! Except that now that it's a whopping 20 degrees during the day I don't really want to eat it right now! lol

Peanut butter cookies made with 1 cup peanut butter, 1 cup brown sugar and 1 egg can take the place of ice cream when it's cold and your kids would probably enjoy helping.
  • kfischer1018
    Options

Peanut butter cookies made with 1 cup peanut butter, 1 cup brown sugar and 1 egg can take the place of ice cream when it's cold and your kids would probably enjoy helping.

We love baking cookies! In fact my husband and son made some M&M cookies last night. Peanut butter cookies are one of my faves but I haven't made them in forever! Thanks for the reminder!
  • sweetbaron
    sweetbaron Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel! I'm 5'2 and my lowest weight was 89 lbs, then I went up to 95 lbs and now I'm at 100 lbs. My goal is to gain more weight and build muscle. Right now I'm on a 1700 cal. and having a hard time getting all my calories in.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Have you picked a strength program yet? I'm kind of making mine up right now, but I've modified what I learned from doing stronglifts 5x5. I've been "bulking" since October when my husband put his foot down and said I had to put on some weight. I'm up to 116-117 and 5'3.5" I also have a few "girls" size tops!
    I just bought a bunch of bars (Luna, rx, quest, and some meal bars) to eat for breakfast or just as snacks. They travel well and I can just throw them in my backpack. I also eat a lot of nuts and trail mix. Pretzels and dark chocolate, with or without peanut butter, are my go to after dinner snack.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Study everything @sardelsa writes. What she's doing is what you'll need to do.
  • kristilynrivera
    kristilynrivera Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Can we be friends
  • kristilynrivera
    kristilynrivera Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Im not sure why my whole post didnt post???
    I just joined mfp this month and am trying to gain 15 pounds. Im 5.1 and 100 lbs, with 3 littles! I too forget to eat when im busy with the house or kids! I started lifting 3x week and im in the middle of researching to find a more intrnse one. Im leaning towards strong curvss bc a lot of people have said its a great program even for beginners! As for getting in calories i have been tracking daily and i notice ive been eating too little calories and too much fat. I have a box of cliff bars if im low on calories but im actually going to try and get ny calories in eith 21 day fix meal plan for the 1800 to 2100 caloroe bracket. And evaluate if i need to add or take away anything to keep it within my macros. Meal prepping is today..