I think I know my answer, but I need approval

Options
filbo132
filbo132 Posts: 956 Member
edited January 2018 in Goal: Maintaining Weight
I have been doing bulking and cutting cycle ever since I started lifting 4 years ago. I am currently in my bulking phase. I should be stopping somewhere in the 170's lbs (I am 5'9 if that helps). I have been thinking of staying in the 170's, because I feel that's when I look my biggest with a shirt on and I personaly prefer...of course, underneath the shirt, my muscles looks less define since I am probably somewhere between 15-18% body fat. Is there a reason I should still continue to bulk and cycle or should I listen my inner voice and say *kitten* it, after 4 years, just maintain. What are your thoughts about it? On one hand, I want to stay in the 170's, but on the other hand, I may be missing an opportunity for more muscle growth. By maintaining, my progress will be very slow...decisions decisions. I have been pondering it for awhile, but I am curious what you all think, maybe that will push my decision.

Replies

• sofchak
    sofchak Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I think only you can really answer this - what are you goals? Whatever your goals are, your next steps align to that...
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    What are you building more muscle for? What will you gain by being more muscular?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I feel like if you go back and forth a lot.. maybe it's time to take a break, even a year off and maintain/recomp to reassess your goals after this cycle. Not that you should stop bulking in the future, but really decide if this is something you want to keep doing. Maybe focusing on strength or other fitness goals can help and really understand why you want to keep going... Is gaining more size that important to you? Are you thinking of competing? I feel like the day you start lifting is the day you are forever small.. so you may feel this need to keep gaining and getting larger. But at some point you have to realize that you can't keep getting bigger forever.

If you do want to continue bulk cycles, at least naturally, you will have to deal with the fact that it won't be as easy and you may make slower progress as you continue.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    filbo132 wrote: »
    What are you building more muscle for? What will you gain by being more muscular?

I guess no reason, I did read that after 4 years of lifting, normally we already gained 90% of muscles that we can genetically gain...right?

This is Lyle McDonald's projection for average males....

10pj007c1kit.png

For me it wouldn't be worth being on a permanent diet doing bulk/cut cycles and I'm dubious it would be any quicker than recomping either at such a slow rate of growth. Never seen any studies into long slow rates of muscle growth comparing recomp versus bulk/cut - guess long duration studies would be far too expensive to run?
    Your genetic potential doesn't change whichever method you choose.

That's not to say you have to be the same weight all year round anyway if you choose recomp. I don't see maintenance as being that restrictive and personally I'm heavier in Winter and lighter in Spring to Autumn although that's for my cycling hobby rather than aesthetics.
    You could be heavier at the BF% you prefer for 9 months and cut for the 3 month beach season for example.

A colleague of mine had a great and lean physique in the gym but having a small frame meant when dressed he never looked big in everyday life - he spent a fortune on tailoring to show off his Y-shape and his sleeves were so tight bending his arms was a problem. The price paid for vanity I suppose. :smile:
  • LongevityRob
    LongevityRob Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Do you like being in the heavier bf range because you feel/appear "bigger" ?
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    You have approval! Try maintaining for 6-12 mo (or what would be a normal bulk cut cycle for you), and observe how you feel. It will either confirm your hunch or you will gain some other insights on yourself.
  • BeccaLoves2lift
    BeccaLoves2lift Posts: 375 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    You could always maintain for now and if you decide to run another bulk later you still can!
  • ttparks11
    ttparks11 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I agree with the previous posters. Sounds like you might need to step back and maintain for a bit. Nothing wrong with that. It’s actually a pretty good idea to give yourself a break to just be and enjoy your workouts without sticking to a firm cycle...pretty good for the psyche, if even for a short while. See how you feel and then, if you choose, you can get back into the cycles.
  • the_prez3
    the_prez3 Posts: 58 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    You are where I’m going to be in four years. Congratulations! Over the last year I’ve spent countless hours studying this subject and planning out my steps well in advance of where I am. One thing I’ve learned is that you need to be very careful who you listen to on this matter. The vast majority of the population doesn’t comprehend the mindset required to do what you’ve done over the past four years so their advice is going to be skewed and not helpful.

Reading through your posts, I think if you’re asking this question then your mindset is not where it needs to be to push you through another cycle of bulking and cutting and attaining any real results anyway. Perhaps it would be wise to follow your instincts and maintain for a while. But a word of caution, if I’m hearing you right, you sound like you’re getting bored. I very highly recommend that you spend this time searching for a new goal to pursue. We are not designed to just sit somewhere and maintain. Our minds are meant to strive for something and we are happiest when we are being pushed to better ourselves. If it’s physique that intrests you, then go check out some competitions and consider getting involved. Perhaps a sport that you’ve always wanted to put serious effort into? Find something to force yourself to grow and adapt that makes you smile or you will probably fade away from boredom and all of the sacrifice you’ve made to this point will be for nothing. Well done by the way! Perhaps you would consider posting some pictures, you are an inspiration.
  • KiddPerry
    KiddPerry Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I was going to direct you to the McDonald model, but I see someone has already done that.

I personally think that you should if you have not already research Body Recomposition. Instead of a long period of cutting and a long extensive period of bulking, shorter cuts...two weeks maintenance...shorter bulking phase...and back to a deficit. It is difficult to stay super lean for a long period of time and difficult to come back from a bulking phase.

Good Luck!