Stronger arms for swimming?

Options
My arms a quite weak due to past reduced mobility, now regained.

I am a decent swimmer who now would like to be able to swim butterfly too.

My cardio effort I expect to improve automatically with doing more, that is both cycling and swimming which I already do regularly.

Any good idea, ANY IDEAS, for getting stronger arms quicker?

I am a woman and 40+.

I eat anything, no dietary restrictions.

Replies

• ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    weight training. The stickied post in this forum has a list of some good beginner programs.
  • TaninaFit
    TaninaFit Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »
    weight training.
    Okay! B)

• TaninaFit
    Options
    Not sure if I'm just not good at navigating, or searching, on this site but failed to find anything for arms for beginners?
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 887 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    For butterfly delts will play a big part
  • TaninaFit
    Options
    watts6151 wrote: »
    For butterfly delts will play a big part
    Okay, noted as well!
    :)
  • evilokc
    evilokc Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I used to swim butterfly and I don't remember it being as much arms as it was delts and back.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    TaninaFit wrote: »
    Not sure if I'm just not good at navigating, or searching, on this site but failed to find anything for arms for beginners?

Don't look for arms for beginners. Look for "weight lifting", "resistance training", and these:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1308750/so-you-want-to-start-lifting-great/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I limited strength training regime including deadlifts, squats, OHP, rows, and pull ups with enough recovery so you can practice swimming and get better at swimming.
  • FanTheFlame
    FanTheFlame Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I believe some swimmers do drills using something called a “pull buoy” to immobilize their legs so arms have to work harder. Swimmers may correct me if I am wrong. :)
  • cmh308
    cmh308 Posts: 317 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Pull sets with a pull buoy (please don't try to use paddles, you'll hurt yourself)
    Compound lifts, bent rows, strict OHP
    Pull ups & push ups
    Deck ups are always fun and a super uncomplicated way to add some strict upper body work too while in the pool. Here is an example.
    "http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZ1tBho1Ohk "

I swam competitively for twenty years and played varsity water polo and went to college on a polo scholarship. This is basically how we do "strength" work in and out of the water. However it ultimately comes down to time spent actually swimming and technique. There is nothing that replaces time put in the water and technique for building your stroke.
  • JAYxMSxPES
    JAYxMSxPES Posts: 193 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    If you have an in-season and off-season, then in-season just practice your sport and take 1 to 2 days tops for strength training. But practice your sport, practice the butterfly, and any other swimming-specific exercises like mentioned above.

Off-season, you can hit the gym more and work on improving your strength-endurance for areas that can affect performance. The butterfly as far as the upper body goes at least, is more about your pecs, delts (anterior & posterior), and even your rhomboids and lats. Your biceps and triceps are more or less helping to stabilize your arms during the movement. I wouldn't neglect them, but definitely not an area of focus.
  • _GirlWhoLifts_
    _GirlWhoLifts_ Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I used to be a competitive swimmer and I can tell you swimming seriously gives your arms the best workout! And it’s amazing cardio! Doing some Weight training can help improve muscle strength during swimming. Make sure you’re eating a good diet with good amount of protein. I used to eat a good protein packed (and carb packed) the night before a meet!
  • _GirlWhoLifts_
    _GirlWhoLifts_ Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    And also adding butterfly is an incredibly hard stroke to learn it took me years to get it right! Have a solid core will help :)