Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

body comp benefits from IF?

Options
2»

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    That's a fair point... the known advantages of lifting vs the only suspected (and even that might be overstated) benefits of IF.

But what harm comes from not lifting?

A strength training program (which is what is recommended, not lifting in particular) protects against muscle loss when losing weight and is good for health. One way it's good for health is protecting bone health, also connective tissue, muscles, and tendon, which protects against injury in general. It's also useful in maintaining overall strength.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    This is a good discussion. And hopefully my experience can add a little to it.

I started doing IF 3-4 years ago while in maintenance and doing a perpetual recomp. About a year in I began training for a certification and the test to pass was based on weight classes. Over 2 months, I dropped 5-6 lbs while continuing to get stronger, with no visually perceivable muscle loss. (Sorry, that's as good as the measurement gets)
    Since then I have done a couple very slow bulks over the winters. When my spring training volume ramps up for my ultra distance trail runs, I lose and lean out about 3-4 lbs. Again with no loss of strength or visual muscle mass. That's typically held until the next winter, maybe a slight gain of a lb or 2 back.

I am able to keep a "decently" visible abs look year round. Yes at my leanest they pop a little more, and during my bulk a little less, but for just a regular guy who doesn't track intake, I stay pretty lean. I don't know for certain, but I do think IF helps, even if only in my head.

TL,DR - I have lost fat, gained mostly muscle, and trained for both strength and endurance, all while following IF. I think it can be very helpful in getting that little extra, and most certainly helpful for adherence. I really don't think I'd have done what I did so easily without it.