App says I need 1930 cals per day?!!

Options
I workout 3 times a week and my job is pretty active so I set the profile to “active” my age is 25 and I am 5ft2 and female. I weigh 8st. I am building muscle.
The app says I need 1930 a day. I used to eat 1600 a day before I upped my regime.1930 just sounds like too much?!! Alll websites say to eat between 170”-1930 but if I’ve eaten 1600 for so long won’t I gain bad weight?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    When you gain weight you gain muscle and fat... not bad or good, just muscle and fat.
  • Rickster1967
    Rickster1967 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    you'll be stronger and have more energy in the gym, you'll be able to make real gains that you can't in deficit

monitor body composition, intake and training progress for a few weeks then see what happened
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    charlireah wrote: »
    I workout 3 times a week and my job is pretty active so I set the profile to “active” my age is 25 and I am 5ft2 and female. I weigh 8st. I am building muscle.
    The app says I need 1930 a day. I used to eat 1600 a day before I upped my regime.1930 just sounds like too much?!! Alll websites say to eat between 170”-1930 but if I’ve eaten 1600 for so long won’t I gain bad weight?

Why do you think that?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    1930 doesn't sound a lot to me at all. Certainly not for your age, activity and exercise.

Try it for at least a month and then you will know.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Only way to know is to try it out. If you're maintaining at 1600 and looking to gain, try upping in small increments of 100 cals a day every couple weeks and see how it goes.
  • ckdprevent
    ckdprevent Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I wish.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    5'2" and 153lbs (so nearly 11stone) - and i maintain on 2500cal a day - i'm about 22% BF and active (both daily activity - 11k+ steps) and athletically
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Try it out for 3 weeks. What I usually do is eat the same numbers of calories every day, weigh myself every morning after going to the bathroom and before my first meal of the day. After 7 days, I calculate my average weight and repeat the samething the following week, I calculate the average weight for that week and I do the samething on the third week. If my average weight is around the same weight for those 3 weeks, then you know your at or near maintenance...if You averaged a gain of over 0,3 lbs per week during those 3 weeks, that means you are over your maintenance and you need to reduce your calories by 100 or 200 (depending how much gained)...You do the opposite if you lost weight and do the samething for another 3 weeks.
  • ttparks11
    ttparks11 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    If you are active and focusing on gaining muscle, you will need to fuel that. I currently weigh 148 pounds (about 10 1/2 stones...a little over) and am 5’ 4” tall. At my last body composition check in, I was at 19.3% body fat. I workout regularly and am working to gain more lean muscle mass. My base calorie intake is 1900 and I usually eat around 2300 calories a day, sometimes a little more or less depending on the activities for the day. Just up it in small increments and make sure you are getting enough protein throughout your day. This is something that I am really having to work at so I don’t burn too much muscle along with my fat. Keep in mind that the scale will show your weight, but not how it is distributed. So, I weigh more now than when I initially lost weight, but my body fat percentage is lower because of muscle mass.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    1930 real calories is not too much for a young, active woman. But they have to be real calories. Each item you "forget" to log, adds up.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    That doesn't sound far away to me - I maintain on similar cals (1950-2000, same height/ 126lbs/48yrs and lightly active).