Some insight please!

Options
I am new to healthy eating and working out for about 2 months now. I am 30 years old about 135lb give or take and 5'6 tall. I want to be at 125lbs, but I want to lose weight and gain muscle. I can't figure out the formula to do this. How many calories should I be eating a day to obtain this, how much cardio should I actually be doing in order not to lose muscle, how much protein and carbs do I need??? I am just so confused and feeling like giving up everytime I hit Google to figure this all out, it's like I can't get a straight answer, every answer is different and confusing. What about BMR do I need to take that into consideration? Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy (for you) weights and eat at a slight deficit, 250 calories or so. Protein macros should be approximately 0.8 to 1 gram of protein for each pound of lean body mass. Fat should be 0.4 g per lb of LBM. Fill the rest of your calorie allowance with carbs.
  • ripeglow
    ripeglow Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    -quiksylver, My bmr is 1411 according to the bar calculator. What exactly is deficit? Right now I set this app to having me eat 1200 calories a day.

- Travis, Also, do I need to lose the weight before I start gaining muscle?
  • quiksylver296
    edited January 2018
    Options
    ripeglow wrote: »
    -quiksylver, My bmr is 1411 according to the bar calculator. What exactly is deficit? Right now I set this app to having me eat 1200 calories a day.

- Travis, Also, do I need to lose the weight before I start gaining muscle?

Your BMR is what your body needs if you were in a coma.

Deficit is the calories you subtract to create weight loss. You have a maintenance number of calories, the point at which you maintain your current weight. You need to eat less calories (deficit) than your maintenance number to create weight loss.

Do you know your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure)? That is what you should be deducting the calories from. scoobysworkshop.com has a decent TDEE calculator.

As to eating 1200 calories right now, you are definitely losing muscle with fat. Set your loss rate to 0.5 lbs per week. See how many calories that gives you.

Answering your question to Travis - you can't gain muscle and lose weight at the same time, most of the time. You need a caloric surplus to gain muscle, but a caloric deficit to lose weight. Focus on your weight loss, and maintaining your current muscle by heavy lifting. When you reach your goal weight, if you want more muscle, you can start a bulk/cut cycle to gain muscle. But don't worry about that right now...
  • ripeglow
    Options
    Alright, thank you. Apparently my TDEE is 2231?
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    Alright, thank you. Apparently my TDEE is 2231?

Could be, depending on how active you are. Mine's about 2400.
  • ripeglow
    Options
    I am working out 4 times a week 20 mins of cardio and 20 mins of core and 20 mins working on my butt and using a medicine ball for arms and abs and ankle weights also, need to purchase more weights soon. Also, I'm a mother of 3 so I'm constantly in my feet. I want to see some definition, but I'm not doing it the right way, I wanna just be lean like and not have a total chiseled body. This is harder than I ever thought.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    Please be mindful of not posting the same topic on multiple forum sections.
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    aeloine wrote: »
    Please be mindful of not posting the same topic on multiple forum sections.

It's actually against the site rules, @ripeglow.
  • ripeglow
    Options
    Quiksylver, I seriously appreciate your input earlier I posted the same thread, wasn't sure if it was the right category, that's why I have 2 up
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    Quiksylver, I seriously appreciate your input earlier I posted the same thread, wasn't sure if it was the right category, that's why I have 2 up

Yeah, I understand. It's against the site rules to multi-post like that. Didn't want to see you get a warning.
  • ripeglow
    Options
    I am sorry, I am new to this app/site. I am glad to be aware of this now, apologize for not reading site rules beforehand.
  • ripeglow
    Options
    I'm gonna take all the input I've received and start on it, hopefully I'll get to where I want to be sooner than later! Thanks for the help everyone. I promise no more double posting!
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    I am sorry, I am new to this app/site. I am glad to be aware of this now, apologize for not reading site rules beforehand.

Welcome to MFP! Everyone on here is super helpful and the process really works if you put in the work!
  • ripeglow
    Options
    Thank you!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    for trying to lose weight while gaining muscle it becomes about what you are eating in connection with exercise. grilled chicken is wonderful int hat it is high in protein(good for muscle growth) and low in fat(great for losing weight) you need to look for things like this so that what you are putting in your body functions and is used the way you want it to be. IE you need food that helps grow muscle and not add fat. im in a slimier situation. im wanting to lose about ten pound but gain a lot of muscle. i don't think i need to lose much i just want to look better and feel healthier. but keep it up!!!

Fat doesn't make you fat.
  • ripeglow
    Options
    I would like to post some pictures of where I am currently at with my body, to get more insight on rather what I have going on is fat or if it's something I can turn into muscle. I'm so confused with my body right now, since I quit breastfeeding my son about 8 months ago I have gained weight like crazy, I am used to be 120lbs and less all my life and suddenly this belly thing has come along witb my love handles and i dont know how to make it go away? Anyone suggest me posting photos here or in a different category with the question? I'm not sure how to post a photo
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I would like to post some pictures of where I am currently at with my body, to get more insight on rather what I have going on is fat or if it's something I can turn into muscle. I'm so confused with my body right now, since I quit breastfeeding my son about 8 months ago I have gained weight like crazy, I am used to be 120lbs and less all my life and suddenly this belly thing has come along witb my love handles and i dont know how to make it go away? Anyone suggest me posting photos here or in a different category with the question? I'm not sure how to post a photo

When you go to post, above the text box right about in the middle is an icon that will let you insert a picture. Just click and upload or type in the image URL. Since this thread is about you, you're not really derailing by asking another question or posting photos.

As for your stomach question, this is the thread to read: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach/
  • ripeglow
    Options
    Is it the I icon? I don't see any place to click on to insert a photo