Does anyone else find it hard to meet a partner that shares your passion of maintenance

Options

Replies

• kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I met my BF when I was in the middle of a 50lb weight loss (I had about 20lbs left when we met). He loves food, eating out and beer. And video games. I'm pretty sure he's never seen the inside of a gym. But, he's normal weight and has been all of our relationship. But he lets me do my thing, and I let him do his.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    MFP needs a personals section. Reading your title made me laugh about what an awkward sounding dating profile that would be, "Looking for a lady with a passion for maintaining her weight." Fitness and nutrition passion is definitely a thing. She's out there, but yes, most people just want to eat fast food, watch TV, and complain about how hard it is to lose weight.

You mean MFP isn't a dating site already? ;)
  • imrianec
    imrianec Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Of course there is something to be said of opposites. My husband could probably live indefinitely off of chicken nuggets and MtDew, while I have flavored seltzer water and lettuce wraps LOL
  • Lizakabibbis
    Lizakabibbis Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    My fiance and I both work out and eat right. The one thing we don't do is work out together. We tried it once....lol
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,131 Member
    Options
    I am fairly keen on my fitness and nutrition but it always puts me off male dating profiles if their only photos are gym selfies and they mention no other interests that's when I kinda run away in the opposite direction.
  • shannonprovenzano2812
    Options
    It's so difficult to lose or maintain weight when in a relationship with someone who doesn't take their health seriously. Even the men who are thin that i've dated most of the time are just naturally born that way and still lay around and eat chips and pizza while watching tv all night because they can without gaining a pound. They don't understand that if I'm going to stay under 200lbs, I CANT do that. They'll say "come on, its just a few slices of pizza"...

Luckily my boyfriend now takes his health at least somewhat seriously. He works out occasionally, and really isn't into laying around eating bad foods all day. He is naturally thin but he's concerned about staying healthy, so if he eats a cheeseburger he FEELS unhealthy which is far better than any of my other experiences. I'd love for he and I to work out together, like join a class or something, but I've been unsuccessful in my attempts to convince him to do that haha.

Good luck in your searches!!
  • boehle
    boehle Posts: 5,062 Member
    Options
    I never really thought too much into it until I met my ex.
    We meal prepped, we would go to the gym together.
    I now realize how important those will be when I find my next partner.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    How about the 'try hard to eat healthy and exercise but unfortunately loves cookies' type? lol

I am ok with that. In fact, i will bake you some cookies. Lol I mean, I am not looking for miss universe. Looks take a back seat to personality and passion. I was once that guy who would try to ruin weight loss and being healthish. Lol maybe it's just pay back. I am just looking for a person who instead of going to dominos if we want pizza, we instead grab a lidus wrap, put on some fresh tomato sauce, some part skin mozzarella, some turkey pepperoni, and lots of fresh veggies and make our own pizza. Or instead of five guy, we make it from lean ground beef, a whole wheat bun, and some baked sweet potato fries. I can cook. Lol instead of just sitting in front of Netflix, we go out for a walk, I live in florida, so I can do that nearly year round, and then enjoy Netflix. Does not get mad at me for going to the gym 4 days a week. It that asking too much? Lol
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    As long as the person didn't totally disregard fitness/nutrition I wouldn't mind if they didn't train etc.
    I lucked out, met my bf in a FB lifting group and imported him to Ontario from Quebec 2 years ago lol
  • boehle
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »
    How about the 'try hard to eat healthy and exercise but unfortunately loves cookies' type? lol

I am ok with that. In fact, i will bake you some cookies. Lol I mean, I am not looking for miss universe. Looks take a back seat to personality and passion. I was once that guy who would try to ruin weight loss and being healthish. Lol maybe it's just pay back. I am just looking for a person who instead of going to dominos if we want pizza, we instead grab a lidus wrap, put on some fresh tomato sauce, some part skin mozzarella, some turkey pepperoni, and lots of fresh veggies and make our own pizza. Or instead of five guy, we make it from lean ground beef, a whole wheat bun, and some baked sweet potato fries. I can cook. Lol instead of just sitting in front of Netflix, we go out for a walk, I live in florida, so I can do that nearly year round, and then enjoy Netflix. Does not get mad at me for going to the gym 4 days a week. It that asking too much? Lol

You had me until you said turkey pepperoni .. eek :|
  • psychod787
    Options
    boehle wrote: »

Well, i know how to grind and make my own sausage. Lol how about a leaner home made Italian sausage? Lol
  • couchj60
    couchj60 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Maybe I am odd, I actually am LOL, but I have had real 0uu7o>[[$× v iick ? . K. Cvc.f. yc ioooi wiout Cobb ? Vv, g g 8+$- meeting women that share my passion of nutrition and weightlifting. I do live on a small town, so that might not help, but most of the wg9i o u9i v vc.f. c xxx i cbc ? , 99yv comen I meet just want to eat crap food and watch tv.
    gofv
    Ic.f. 0
  • boehle
    Options
    boehle wrote: »

Well, i know how to grind and make my own sausage. Lol how about a leaner home made Italian sausage? Lol

as long as its not turkey, I am good.
    I only like turkey when its eaten at thanksgiving LOL
  • whosshe
    whosshe Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I am very much interested in health and nutrition but I wasn't always, I grew into this person. I was definitely the girl stuffing my face with junk but now I'm not.

You can't have an interest in something you don't know exists. Meaning someone might share your passion for maintenance once they learn about it.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Maybe I am odd, I actually am LOL, but I have had real trouble meeting women that share my passion of nutrition and weightlifting. I do live on a small town, so that might not help, but most of the women I meet just want to eat crap food and watch tv.

Are you finding a lot of men in your small town with the same passion for nutrition and weightlifting? Are you just a rare person there with that level of interest?
    Go to weight lifting competitions? There are probably facebook groups for weight lifters in your state?
    Have you considered looking for active health concious people who are not necessarily into weightlifting?
    Take up an activity that more women in your area participate in. Take a fitness class. Maybe there would be more female runners, cyclists or similar that have co-ed clubs or events.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options

I hear you. I would walk all day if I could, would go to cities and walk around, I love hiking... Even even my friends would rather sit around and do crafts/watch football all day.

Have you considered meet ups? I joined a hiking one and went on a few hikes with them, it can be a good way of meeting like-minded people.

That being said, I don't really consider maintenance (or my failing at it, really), a 'passion', but a chore (well, at least the eating part), but I get what you're saying.
  • psychod787
    Options

I hear you. I would walk all day if I could, would go to cities and walk around, I love hiking... Even even my friends would rather sit around and do crafts/watch football all day.

Have you considered meet ups? I joined a hiking one and went on a few hikes with them, it can be a good way of meeting like-minded people.

That being said, I don't really consider maintenance (or my failing at it, really), a 'passion', but a chore (well, at least the eating part), but I get what you're saying.

I don't think failure is such a thing franc. We get a new shot at life and maintenance every day. We may fail one day, then get back up and keep fighting!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Both my wife and I are into nutrition and fitness but we like different things. She likes to run mostly and cycles some...I like to cycle mostly and I lift a few days per week and never run. We both enjoy hiking and rock climbing.

I don't know that either one of us has thought about it in terms of a "passion for maintenance"...it's just our normal lives and our fitness activities are as much recreation and hobby as anything else. I would say that most of our friends are fitness/health conscious people...