Are push ups good for boney shoulders?

Options
Hi all, I just wanted to ask (as title says), because I have horrible boney shoulders and wondering how I can combat that.

If push ups are useless, can you suggest any home workouts or equipment, to achieve better shoulders please, or is it simply about just gaining the weight and it will fix itself?

I hope this makes sense and thanks in advance :)

Replies

• Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    Pushups aren't really the most direct exercise for your shoulders, they're more of a tricep/chest move. OHP (or a variation thereof) should be your primary lift, with things like front and lateral raises, etc. as secondaries.
  • Gainer018
    Gainer018 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I had to google what they were lol. Thank you :)
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    you probably want to work on your traps and delts. so yes, overhead press.

bear in mind that both of those muscles are actually thought of as 'groups'. so there's an upper traps area, a mid traps and a lower traps, and different exercises work more of each section. and delts have front, middle and rear in the same kind of way.

all of them are important, not only for the aesthetic factor but also for health. shoulders are a horrible thing to screw up. overhead press is great for mid traps and mid/front delts, but you should be sure to add a 'pull' movement like pullups and rowing as well to get into the upper back muscles and keep your shoulders healthy.

that's been my mileage, at least. overhead 'waiter' carries and the upper-body part of turkish getups have both been really nice for keeping the little stabilizer muscles in my own shoulders on point. good luck.
  • Gainer018
    Options

bear in mind that both of those muscles are actually thought of as 'groups'. so there's an upper traps area, a mid traps and a lower traps, and different exercises work more of each section. and delts have front, middle and rear in the same kind of way.

all of them are important, not only for the aesthetic factor but also for health. shoulders are a horrible thing to screw up. overhead press is great for mid traps and mid/front delts, but you should be sure to add a 'pull' movement like pullups and rowing as well to get into the upper back muscles and keep your shoulders healthy.

that's been my mileage, at least. overhead 'waiter' carries and the upper-body part of turkish getups have both been really nice for keeping the little stabilizer muscles in my own shoulders on point. good luck.

Hugely informative thank you. I had to research what they were too but may I ask? Are trap and delt exercises good workouts if you have underlined back problems or should it be ran past a doctor or physiotherapist first?
  • canadianlbs
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Gainer018 wrote: »
    Hugely informative thank you. I had to research what they were too but may I ask? Are trap and delt exercises good workouts if you have underlined back problems or should it be ran past a doctor or physiotherapist first?

uuuuuggggh . . . that's definitely out of my zone. just to be clear, i'm a regular person with no formal training or expertise on the medical side, so if you do have a cause for concern i'd definitely consult someone more knowledgeable. teh spine is such a huge area and there are so many different factors at play.
  • Davidsdottir
    Options

Definitely talk to your doctor before starting ANYTHING!
  • Gainer018
    Options
    I would definitely ask before attempting those kind of exercises 100%. Just trying to build a list first of potentially new exercises to incorporate into my training. Thank you both :)
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

uuuuuggggh . . . that's definitely out of my zone. just to be clear, i'm a regular person with no formal training or expertise on the medical side, so if you do have a cause for concern i'd definitely consult someone more knowledgeable. teh spine is such a huge area and there are so many different factors at play.

I think that the mods should definitely post a stickie explaining that we are all just laypersons and if you have a medical issue make sure you clear everything with the appropriate medical practitioner. We get so many questions where we try to answer them only to find out the poster has a medial issue that might mean our advice causes issues.

OP, good luck. Also, you might look into handstand pushups for your shoulders if you are interested in bodyweight exercise, they are similar to OHP in muscles worked, but only after you have clearance.
  • Davidsdottir
    Options

See? A woo? OP has back issues. She should be seeing a doctor prior to starting to lift. Jeez!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options

See? A woo? OP has back issues. She should be seeing a doctor prior to starting to lift. Jeez!

people use woo for a couple of different reasons (really good or junk science). i pay it no mind lol

and OP yeah, if you have medical conditions of any kind, you need to check with your doc or physio and get clearance!
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Agree with others. If you have back problems see a doctor first. Also, due to poor posture, hours of sitting a at a desk many have mobility issues that make overhead pressing difficult. Get the doctor or a therapist to screen for this. Here is an example of the type of movements they would look at:

https://www.t-nation.com/training/are-you-ready-to-overhead-press
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Eat more.
  • Gainer018
    Options
    Thank you all. I will always consult with medically trained professionals. I just thought I'd ask in advance on here, as I'm new to this and don't know many exercises.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    ^^^^ i'll tell ya. basic anatomy charts on google are an enormous resource. you can pick out any body zone that your'e interested in, find the names of the muscles and then astonish your family AND your physiotherapist by seeming to know both the best exercises and the medical names.

also, bodybuilding.com is a great resource. with medical signoff, of course.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options

Off topic I know, but just had a thought about the strange Woo thing.
    If people are scrolling on their phone it is really easy to hit the woo or hug button.
    I do it left handed and have to delete lots of unwarranted insightful and inspiring reactions if I am scrolling through a thread.
    Or it could be, as I think, poeple are approving.

Cheers, h.
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    All forms of presses.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options

Off topic I know, but just had a thought about the strange Woo thing.
    If people are scrolling on their phone it is really easy to hit the woo or hug button.
    I do it left handed and have to delete lots of unwarranted insightful and inspiring reactions if I am scrolling through a thread.
    Or it could be, as I think, poeple are approving.

Cheers, h.

The worst part is that the explanation of the "woo" button from the MFP staff just says that it will be clear from the emoji rather than actually explaining it. Thanks MFP, that really clears things up, it's like saying water is wet and you will know the feeling when you feel wet.
  • Eaturmeat
    Eaturmeat Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Great advice from everyone. I would also suggest working your rotator cuffs if you plan on pounding on the shoulders. Pick up some resistance bands and look up YouTube videos on strengthening your rotators. It will save you pain down he road.