DISCOVERY: hearts of palm

I'd seen it in the canned aisle and looked at the picture and thought: that looks ridiculously fiberous and walked on by. Then the other day I decided to buy it. Only 80 calories for this whole can of white-ish lincoln logs?? Rinse the salt off. Okay. Cut into rounds. Taste. OH YUMMO! Just a bit of snap on the outside, creamy center- and 80 calories for an entire can? But other than eating them straight from the can, what else?

Anyone have any favorite hearts of palm recipes that they've actually eaten?

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    edited January 2018
    Salad, or in at the very last (just enough to warm) in stir-fry.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    I love hearts of palm. Bonefish Grill does a side salad that includes them along with blue cheese and sunflower seeds in a tangy vinaigrette. It's so tasty!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Cut them into rounds, marinate, and then sear on both sides -- such a great addition to a salad.

I also love this recipe: http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/crabless-cakes-hearts-palm-corn
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    If there's one palm product I like it's arrack
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    I used to work at a restaurant where hearts of palm were part of this huge salad bar. They seemed weird to me, so I never tried them. I'll look for them and give them a try. Sounds like something up my alley.
  • jkburkhart
    jkburkhart Posts: 8 Member
    Delish in salads.
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Salad, or in at the very last (just enough to warm) in stir-fry.

^YES!!^
  • miratps
    miratps Posts: 141 Member
    Eat it on its own. It's amazing!
  • rrritchie50
    rrritchie50 Posts: 1 Member
    In a salad sounds good
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    I love them. I have never had them in the USA though, and ate them fresh in Brazil, mostly in salads and other local dishes.
  • eclecticpixxie
    eclecticpixxie Posts: 56 Member
    Make my epic Arugula Goat Cheese Avo Disaster Salad.

Arugula.
    Goat cheese
    Hearts of palm
    Grilled strip steak (or roasted tofu. Or garbanzo beans..)
    avocado
    Jicama
    Cucumber
    Mint.

Big bowl and tongs: Toss arugula with goat cheese and (ripe) avocado till creamy.
    Sea salt and fresh pepper to taste.
    It sort of makes it’s own ‘dressing.’
    Add a bit of acid of choice if desired. (Lemon juice or white balsamic both nice.
    Plate this.
    Now top salad(s) with sliced hearts of palm, diced jicama and cucumber, chopped mint.
    Add appropriate amount of steak or tofu or garbanzos - or all of them. Whatever fits your macro needs.
    Drizzle with avocado oil if you need more fat in your meal.

sounds kinda cool!
  • eclecticpixxie
    yirara wrote: »
    If there's one palm product I like it's arrack

whats arrack?
  • eclecticpixxie
    Cut them into rounds, marinate, and then sear on both sides -- such a great addition to a salad.

I also love this recipe: http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/crabless-cakes-hearts-palm-corn

I cant eat corn but im guessing there could be a good sub?
  • janejellyroll

They're there to add bulk and a bit of freshness to the cake. If I couldn't eat corn, I think I might try substituting peas or maybe some chopped cabbage?
  • fromnebraska
    fromnebraska Posts: 153 Member
    Add them to pizzas
  • mortuseon_
    mortuseon_ Posts: 257 Member
    Are they similar at all to marinated artichokes? Love 'em but so high in calories for the delicious oil marinated ones :( maybe I could sub these...
  • eclecticpixxie

They're there to add bulk and a bit of freshness to the cake. If I couldn't eat corn, I think I might try substituting peas or maybe some chopped cabbage?

Peas would probably work since they're closer to corn in texture than cabbage. Cabbage has so much water when it cooks. But I wonder too, maybe cooked, ground up chick peas?
  • eclecticpixxie
    mortuseon_ wrote: »
    Are they similar at all to marinated artichokes? Love 'em but so high in calories for the delicious oil marinated ones :( maybe I could sub these...

Not at all. And they're not marinated. they're packed in water. You can find them usually in the oriental section of your favorite grocer. Walmart carries them.
  • janejellyroll

Peas would probably work since they're closer to corn in texture than cabbage. Cabbage has so much water when it cooks. But I wonder too, maybe cooked, ground up chick peas?

Oh, that might work too. Now that you mention it, they're a very loose-textured cake with some moisture, so cabbage wouldn't be a great fit.