Food tracker on MFP vs. Fitbit

Options
I’ve been logging all of my meals on MFP instead of my Fitbit. Does anyone have a preference? Pros/cons? I use MFP because there are so many foods already on there. That said, I can’t believe how many inaccuracies there are. It’s a free app so I guess I shouldn’t complain but I have to check my nutrition labels almost every time.

Replies

• Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    The MFP database is far more robust vs Fitbit, and yes, there are a large number of inaccurate entries. You need to remember it is user populate, and members are worldwide. Ingredients vary, brand nutritional values vary by country and people input incorrect information. Once you've found your standard entries that are verified, they'll populate in your most recent list, making it easier to find them again.

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    The only reason I haven't switched is Fitbit still doesn't have a recipe calculator.
  • Ebony_Kitty
    Ebony_Kitty Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Follow up question on this post: Will the FitBit food journal sync back to MFP? My MFP food entries show up on my Fitbit in the form of calories but I too am interested in the FitBit food journal instead of using MFP.
  • Joni_Pass
    Joni_Pass Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Follow up question on this post: Will the FitBit food journal sync back to MFP? My MFP food entries show up on my Fitbit in the form of calories but I too am interested in the FitBit food journal instead of using MFP.

I unlinked my Fitbit and MFP because I’m pretty set on a 2,000 calorie a day diet and their allowance was very high when I entered my exercise.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options

No. Fitbit sends data about calories burned, steps, weight, and body fat% to MFP.
  • cshern
    cshern Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Yep. I had the same experience as you are reporting, and I was chagrined until I just decided to err on the side of more calories and enter the highest calorie count that seemed right.

This has worked, and I also use the recipes and meals features, so that I can save meals or recipes that I like and eat often.
  • infinite_health
    infinite_health Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The variances in calories could be from the set up. I found a pretty cool guide on the Fitbit forums to make sure both MFP and Fitbit calories are the same, this might help you. Keep in mind if you have them linked, input exercise only into Fitbit and the food only into MFP, otherwise it can double numbers! Hope this helps!

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Third-Party-Apps-Integrations/Fitbit-calories-vs-MyFitnessPal-calories/td-p/1164126