Do Squats make your hips bigger???

Options
So, I had gone through a weight loss journey. I got down to about 137 lbs but looked horrible. I was skinny fat and it didn't look good. So I started doing bodypump about 3-6 days per week and ran only a couple times per week. I was eating around 1200-1400 calories when started but I just couldn't do it anymore. I literally had no fuel for my workouts and had low energy all day. Over time I slowly increased calorie intake as I increased my weights. I now eat about 1800 calories per day. Anything much less than that, I feel dizzy and miserable. But, here's the thing; I'm bigger. My hips have definitely grown and I seem to have increased waist size by 1/2 inch but I am indeed more toned. But I don't want to be bigger. I just want to be toned. How can
I achieve this? I know I can increase cardio, but I just eat more because I'm really hungry. And this is not fake hunger. I literally feel like I'm about to faint if I don't eat. So I feel like its counter productive. Ugh. I'm just so annoyed. I've been lifting weights consistently for two years now. I'm going hard with this because my body is (was) saggy and it appears to be working. By the end of the year, I do expect to start digging back in hardcore with cardio and lightening up on the lifting. Should I worry? Is this normal? My appetite is on fire all the time and it has gradually increased overtime. I can definitely tell that my metabolism has kicked into high gear and fat is started to diminished. I just want to be neat and defined but much smaller.

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Did you gain weight during that time? If you gained weight, then you may have gained muscle and fat that can make them bigger. Me personally, if I compare my size before I started lifting to now, I am smaller and fit into smaller pant sizes (sometimes have issues fitting them over the glutes but that's a different story)

In order to get smaller and "tone" you want to eat in a deficit (not too steep), get adequate protein and continue to lift weights and focus on that. Don't overdo the cardio.
  • ZombieKillaPrincess
    Options
    Hmmm this is strange, what kind of squats are we talking about here? Heavy, light, body weight squats? How frequent? High rep, low rep? How often?

If you are doing really heavy (like maxing out) and low reps very often, I could see how this could happen. But I generally squat frequently with moderate to heavy weight (but I also do a ton of body weight squats daily, mostly to warm up before) I have always lost weight and inches. But everyone is different.

Maybe less weight and higher reps would help.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Are you lifting weights or doing bodypump?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    your hip size once your past a certain age doesn't get bigger- so Unless you're using a bone stretcher to stretch yourself- no they didn't get bigger.

And I feel like you'd know- that *kitten* is painful as f**k I'm told.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    If you’re more toned and still losing weight you might’ve been bloated when your measured, had food in your intestines, or lots of water weight due to your increase in carbs and exercise.

However, if you are asking if a barbell movement causes your hips. A bone structure, to grow and expand outwards. What do you think?

If you are truly in a deficit then no, your body won’t be doing anything but shrinking. A half inch? That is so minimal that it could’ve been cause by anyone of the things I listed. That’s not even the diameter of most peoples index fingers.
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    I know your question is about your hips, but it seems like the hunger and dizziness is a bigger problem toward reaching any kind of goals. You're not going to be able to eat less if you already feel terrible, and you won't be able to work harder if you feel terrible. I see from your profile that you are vegan- do you make sure you get plenty of fats and protein? The hunger and dizziness sounds like issue with blood sugar, and for some people a high-carb diet causes really volatile blood sugars.
  • bnmoyler
    bnmoyler Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Hmmm this is strange, what kind of squats are we talking about here? Heavy, light, body weight squats? How frequent? High rep, low rep? How often?

If you are doing really heavy (like maxing out) and low reps very often, I could see how this could happen. But I generally squat frequently with moderate to heavy weight (but I also do a ton of body weight squats daily, mostly to warm up before) I have always lost weight and inches. But everyone is different.

Maybe less weight and higher reps would help.

I usually do about 100 reps pulsing and so with about 60 lbs. But, my clothes fit better but I look bigger. I don't know. Maybe it's all in my head.
  • bnmoyler
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Are you lifting weights or doing bodypump?

Both
  • bnmoyler
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Did you gain weight during that time? If you gained weight, then you may have gained muscle and fat that can make them bigger. Me personally, if I compare my size before I started lifting to now, I am smaller and fit into smaller pant sizes (sometimes have issues fitting them over the glutes but that's a different story)

In order to get smaller and "tone" you want to eat in a deficit (not too steep), get adequate protein and continue to lift weights and focus on that. Don't overdo the cardio.

See that's the thing; I have dropped a pants size; it's so weird. But I look bulkier. I just don't know. It's really just my hips that are bothering me. Do squats make them bigger?! I definitely have less body fat for sure but..,
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    bnmoyler wrote: »

See that's the thing; I have dropped a pants size; it's so weird. But I look bulkier. I just don't know. It's really just my hips that are bothering me. Do squats make them bigger?! I definitely have less body fat for sure but..,

Have you taken measurements? I mean if you gained muscle in the legs perhaps your hips can look bulkier*.. or it could be from being more defined, but if you are going down pant sizes you are likely retaining muscle there as you lose.

*I have run several bulk cycles to gain curves and it is slow.. for me at least. So my legs/glutes/hips are larger than when I was at my leanest, but still not bigger than before I started lifting. If that makes sense. This could also be a factor of pregnancy so it's really hard to know.
  • bnmoyler
    Options

Have you taken measurements? I mean if you gained muscle in the legs perhaps your hips can look bulkier*.. or it could be from being more defined, but if you are going down pant sizes you are likely retaining muscle there as you lose.

*I have run several bulk cycles to gain curves and it is slow.. for me at least. So my legs/glutes/hips are larger than when I was at my leanest, but still not bigger than before I started lifting. If that makes sense. This could also be a factor of pregnancy so it's really hard to know.

I guess you're right. I'm trying to compare me to myself at my leanest and I have to realize that's far gone. Muscle definition will always look bigger than saggy fat and skin. Fat is soft and malleable. Muscle is firm.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    Hips? No. Thighs, probably. You could also be holding on to slightly more water due to inflammation. You could also have increased glycogen stores.
  • Silkysausage
    Silkysausage Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegan lifter and will gladly have a look at your meal diaries to see where you might be missing out nutritionally.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

They might make your glutes bigger which could make your hips LOOK bigger from the front.
  • bnmoyler
    Options
    And how do I decrease glycogen stores?
  • bnmoyler
    Options

They might make your glutes bigger which could make your hips LOOK bigger from the front.

Makes a lot of sense. Thanks!
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Eat less carbs and stop working out.

Glycogen is an energy source for working out. Seriously just keep eating in a deficit, that’s all you can do.
  • bnmoyler
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »
    Eat less carbs and stop working out.

Glycogen is an energy source for working out. Seriously just keep eating in a deficit, that’s all you can do.

A couple years ago, I slowed WAY down with working out. I'd do it like once a week and it wasn't anything crazy either. I ate much less because I wasn't hungry. I did shrink and I remember being surprised at the fact I was losing more weight while doing nothing than when I was Killing myself. So bazaar. I think there is some truth to this.