Need suggestions / gaining muscle / carbs

Options
alyloveskai
alyloveskai Posts: 1 Member
Hi guys, my first time posting... I’m a mom that needs some advice! I’m hoping some of you can tell me if I’m doing this right or not.

I use to go to the gym and actually gained a good amount of muscle unfortunately i have lost all of that. I’m currently underweight (115 pounds , 5’7) and I want to gain back my muscle plus more.. I started to do weights for an hour 5 times a week. Is that enough? I’m practically dying towards the end (legs shaking etc)

I’m extremely confused and wondering if in fact I’m doing my macros correctly?

Calories 2080 daily
Carbs 295
Protein 95
Fats 58

Is that normal? For my stats? Is It because I’m so under weight? What should be my “goal” weight?and So many carbs?
I’m honestly also having a pretty difficult time eating that many carbs. I can only eat so much rice and oatmeal

Sorry for so many questions

Replies

• chuckie233
    chuckie233 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'd say carbs are slightly high but considering you are under weight, it shouldn't be problem.

In terms of your lifting regimen, I'd need more specifics to provide meaningful advice.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    Potatoes, sweet potatoes, pasta, bread, cereal, popcorn!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Seems like a good ball park range. If it's too much add a little more fat/protein. Also 5x a week lifting, what program are you following?
  • TayteHansen1992
    TayteHansen1992 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Maybe take 25 of those carbs and put them towards protein. Better to have too much protein than too little.

If you are having trouble gaining weight, I would recommend doing your best to get all your calories into you even if it’s hard. You could always go for a less filling carbohydrate than rice and oatmeal. Oatmeal is supper filling, don’t eat that. Maybe try sweet potatoes or whole grains like pasta and bread/wraps. You could even go for some simple carbs (sugar), fruits and stuff like that.

An hour 5 x a week is a good amount of weights. Sounds like you are good at pushing yourself so it sounds like you are on the right track.
  • TayteHansen1992
    TayteHansen1992 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    If you don’t gain from there I would try slowly increasing calories by slowly increasing carbs and/or fats but keeping protein at 125.

The next thing to look at would be your actual weightlifting routine because you didn’t give much information in your original post.
  • zippydoodle688
    zippydoodle688 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am 5'6 and weight lifting. I am just back to lifting after 6 mo. Off due to major life changes. I lost a lot. I been tracking workout on Fitbit paired up with MFP and have gained 7 # in 6 weeks. I need 2100 Cal. To maintain, then eat what is recommended based on my activities for the day. By days end I have eaten almost 3000 calories and that is clean eating calories.
  • h1udd
    h1udd Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I just dont understand how people cant get their calories in.

A measily 16grams of peanut butter = 100 calories
    100g of cheese .. that isnt much .... a whopping 400 calories
    A starbucks flavoured latte and a muffin .... 750 calories
    A bottle of Coke ... 210 calories

thats 1500 above .... you only need another 500 calories .. add 2 bits of bread to that peanut butter and that leaves you 200 calories left for a nice nutritious dinner

... I dont advocate eating the above .. just examples of how easily calories add up if you eat stuff I am avoiding :smiley:
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    To be honest it seems a little low to gain for your stats.. unless you using the MFP method where you eat back all your exercise calories. Anyhow, see how that is and up cals from there if you aren't gaining. As mentioned you can always add more fat or protein since your carb level is pretty good.

In terms of goal weight, first aim for not being underweight, then after that it will depend where you are comfortable. Also keep in mind it may not all happen in one gaining cycle. I am also 5'7. When I started my first bulk I was 120lbs. Now I am on my third bulk sitting at 140lbs.
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Your protein is low - you are lean and should handle carbs fine if you are lifting , but I would spend some of the carb cals for more protein - What lifting program are you following? Eastcoast Jim