Reached my goal weight, what now?

Options
Hello, my name is Amanda.
I started my fitness journey at 180 pounds. Im a 5'7 tall , 22 year old female.
I got my best results with mfp however.
Now I am 150 pounds (my goal weight) but now I have a new obstacle: what do I do now?

My goals are ambitious( muscular arms, abs, muscular legs) but in order to see much of anything, I knew I needed to lose body fat.

I thought 150 was the magic number, but now that im here, its not.
Should I continue to do weights , and incline sprint interval training and stay at the same caloric intake? Or should I reduce my intake and just up the protien? I dont want to lose the muscle Im trying to gain.

My stomach is flat (but I have about maybe a pound or two more on each side that I could lose) my arms are shaping up nicely and so is my back. Deffintion is visble. Some days, subtle abs are visible too. My legs are narurally thick and they have some shape as well. No true deffinition yet though. My routine appears to be working and I change it and tweak it as necessary. I eat pretty healthy and focus a bit more on protien and healthy fats (mainly without trying right now, but perhaps I should try harder?)

My journey has been nothing but asking around, researching, reading, trial and error, etc. Im very happy with my success so far ,but I could really use some added insight from the mfp community!

Thank you in advance for any thoughts!

Replies

• giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options
    Get stronger. Lift weights.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    At 150 lbs, you still most likely have a higher body fat percentage. I'd continue to lower that as you keep lifting weights. Modest deficit, no more than 250 cals.
  • iomramh
    iomramh Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Hi Amanda!

First off.. Congrats!!!
    Secondly.. I wouldn't reduce your caloric intake if you're not looking to continue to lose weight. You actually might find that you'll need to increase your caloric intake due to more muscle mass! The more muscle mass you put on, the more calories you'll end up burning in a day. I would however, recommend focusing on increasing your protein intake, and working on those weights.

I hope you have just as much success in this endeavor as you did in your previous one!!
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    iomramh wrote: »
    Hi Amanda!

First off.. Congrats!!!
    Secondly.. I wouldn't reduce your caloric intake if you're not looking to continue to lose weight. You actually might find that you'll need to increase your caloric intake due to more muscle mass! The more muscle mass you put on, the more calories you'll end up burning in a day. I would however, recommend focusing on increasing your protein intake, and working on those weights.

I hope you have just as much success in this endeavor as you did in your previous one!!

With a higher body fat, increasing cals will cause even more fat to muscle ratio gain.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    It depends on what is your bf%, I think for a women, you need to be somewhere around 20-21% ish and then you can bulk from there or if you really like the weight you are at, you can recomp, stay at that weight and lift heavy weights. The process will be slower than the regular bulk and cut cycle, but you will still get results.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Keep hitting the weights and run a slight calorie deficit...like 200-250 calories
  • billkansas
    billkansas Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Good job. I'd say now you can set some strength goals. You should be able to gain more strength and muscle since you can stop eating at a deficit. I'd say set some squat and deadlift goals for the year.
  • BrianJohnson2015
    BrianJohnson2015 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Awesome stuff!

If you still have bodyfat to lose, then I would lower your deficit to something more comfortable, just under maintenance so 0.5lb per week or less. Maybe take a diet break if you want for 2 weeks just to regroup.
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    The reality is that getting to 150 lbs. is not some magic place where all your life's troubles go away and everything is perfect.

Continue to exercise, eat right while developing yourself into a better human being in other areas.
  • suzelle4
    suzelle4 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    No advice, just congrats!!! :) You are exactly my height, but I am 180 lbs., want to get to 150. I think I will feel like you do though, when I get there, I remember being your age and I remember feeling like my ideal weight was about 130-135, but I am more than twice your age now, so going easy on myself so that I don’t get frustrated. I wanted to say though, sounds like you have some good muscle starting to form, so congrats there too! Remember muscle weighs more, sounds like you are very fit!