Fat loss with muscle gain

Options
I am so confused with the calories I should be eating. For about a year I have been anywhere from 136-140. This all depends on what I eat because I have serve bloating to how much water I drank that day. I am trying to lose fat and gain lean muscle and I do anywhere from 30-60 minutes of cardio and heavy weight lifting for an hour 4-6 days out of the week. I cannot lose weight I have been this weight for a little over a year and I have some muscle but you cannot see it as well do to the fat. MFP says I need 1970 calories to maintain but I feel like when I eat that much I’m just going to put on fat not lose what I need to and gain muscle so I eat anywhere from a net calorie of 900-1300 and a total calorie of 1300-1700. What is the best way to go about losing the fat but gaining muscle. Should I be eating more calories to do this or continue eating low calories?

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    How tall are you?
    How much do you weight?
    Which program are you following?
  • shejen134
    shejen134 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I’m 5’6 and I weight 140.4. I work shoulders, chest, back, and legs all on separate days. Normally do a warm up for each lift and then 5 sets of 10 reps at the heavy weight. I started weight lifting about 2 months ago so I know I shouldn’t see much difference quite yet but I’m seeing zero difference at all and I’m not sure what to do next to if anything.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    So it sounds like you aren't following an actual routine, you're just doing a body part split and picking exercises. I highly suggest following an actual program.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

The types of people who can gain muscle in a deficit are new lifters, very overweight people, and people returning to lifting after time off. You have the new lifter thing going for you, but your BMI is in the normal range.

At this point you have two options.
    1. Continue to lose weight as you lift. A few pounds of weight loss can help you look leaner and will put you in a good place to consider a bulk (as mentioned above).
    2. Consider recomposition, where you maintain weight while eating adequate protein and lifting. The goal is to gain muscle while losing fat. This is a slow process.

Either option is just going to take time. Women gain about 1 pound of lean mass per month under ideal conditions (progressive lifting routine, adequate protein, and calorie surplus). You'll need to decide if you can handle getting leaner, gaining weight, then getting lean again or maintaining your current weight.
  • shejen134
    shejen134 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the input! I definitely feel more comfortable with how to go about it and I’ll have to be okay with a little weight gain to get where I want. Also I wasn’t totally clear with my routine. I do follow strict lifts that are recorded from week to week that do get compacted with other smaller lifts in between the main ones to work other smaller muscles. I do also lift with two other people who have had training and been lifting for years. So the routine I have based off of what my trainers have set for me, it was the nutrition that was getting me. Thank you again!