Binge eating tip

Options
I read a great tip recently in a book about bulimia that pertains to binge eating. When you get the urge to binge:
1) Accept the binge urge
2) Delay the binge: wait 10 minutes
3) Distract: during the 10 minutes distract yourself and do something to keep your mind off eating

Repeat the steps as needed*

It may take awhile but you CAN do it!

Replies

• talliejtaylor
    talliejtaylor Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Good tips!
  • HealthyHannahJane
    Options
    I've been advised to read overcoming binge eating by Chris Fairbirn. Has anyone read it?
  • Alfred650
    Alfred650 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I contracted my abdominal muscles a few times and it killed the urge. Flexing until it goes away kind of let’s you know why you are resisting. Much love and motivation to all.
  • proudlilmamiof2
    proudlilmamiof2 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hot sauce helps n pickles
  • wryone4
    wryone4 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I also find brushing my teeth or having sugar-free mints on hand helps. When I have a minty taste in my mouth I am less likely to eat.

Also, if I am feeling hungry, I drink water - often I am dehydrated rather than hungry.
  • buggsby83
    buggsby83 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    lemon juice works for me.... suck on a lemon I'm not even joking. you wont' want nothing after that.
  • curvymomo3
    curvymomo3 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I've been advised to read overcoming binge eating by Chris Fairbirn. Has anyone read it?

I have!!! It was super freeing actually but a little scary too. I still use some of the principals from it ( no food is off limits) BUT I do portion the food out and count it on here. :) I thought it was an excellent book. The scary part is having all of your trigger foods stocked up in the house... But honestly.. at first when I had the Doritos in the house and the ice cream.. I did overeat at first.. but then the whole "taboo" of it being off limits and the desire to eat those foods.. disappeared! I STILL have almost a full 1/2 gallon of ice cream chillin in my fridge! Incredible! :)
  • amykay9377
    amykay9377 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I read a great tip recently in a book about bulimia that pertains to binge eating. When you get the urge to binge:
    1) Accept the binge urge
    2) Delay the binge: wait 10 minutes
    3) Distract: during the 10 minutes distract yourself and do something to keep your mind off eating

Repeat the steps as needed*

It may take awhile but you CAN do it!

I don't think I'm a textbook binger, but I follow these same rules for eating junk food. Like, if I'm home on the couch and I really want to attack the new bag of Doritos, I tell myself I can have some in 10 minutes (or the next chapter, or the next commercial, whatever). I stay distracted by watching the TV channel or finishing the chapter. Many times I can delay AGAIN until the urge goes away, but if it doesn't, I'm happy to have delayed the binge and I feel okay getting chips.

• Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    I’ve struggled with BED for years and someone recommended Brain Over Binge to read. It was one of the worst books I’ve ever read. It was truly awful and didn’t help me at all. I’m glad I didn’t buy it.

I'm glad I'm not the only one, I threw it in the bin with others....4 tendencies.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Power of habit by Charles Duhigg is a good one too
  • xmarye
    xmarye Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    How about eating enough so you don't starve yourself and therefore break the bingeing-restricting cycle :smiley:

I'm talking from experience here. Never realized I did that in the past.

Good luck! ♥
  • etfan
    etfan Posts: 133 Member
    Options

I enjoyed it and found it useful