Mass gainers

Options
New to my fitness journey and my weight start is 103lb . I want to gain 20 pounds , but are mass gainers healthy and good to use ??

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    They are ok and fine for convience but they are filled with lower quality ingredients, protein and cheap sugars. I used to make my own to get my cals up with things like whey, nut butters, full fat dairy, fruit (bananas, mangos), etc.
  • Charlsberg123
    Charlsberg123 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Usually expensive for what they are, as others have said make your own with whey protein, full-fat milk, PB, banana, add some olive oil in too if you're really struggling (very calorically dense and you cannot taste it, trust me)
  • se015
    se015 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    New to my fitness journey and my weight start is 103lb . I want to gain 20 pounds , but are mass gainers healthy and good to use ??

It depends, you should look at the nutrition label of any mass gainer.
  • augustfirst1995
    augustfirst1995 Posts: 20 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    A lot of mass gainers will make you bloated. I tried mass tech when I first started out and it was complete trash. Not all of them are like that but some of them are. Just up your calorie intake.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Step one: buy bulk whey protein.
    Step two: buy bulk dextrose.
    Step three: mix together.
    Step four: consume.

In four steps, you just got the exact same thing, for half (or less) of the cost.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Step one: buy bulk whey protein.
    Step two: buy bulk dextrose gummy bears, skittles and jelly beans.
    Step three: mix together.
    Step four: consume.

In four steps, you just got the exact same thing, for half (or less) of the cost.

I updated your strategy for a tastier approach :p

OP, most weight gainers are whey protein and cheap sugar. I'd recommend making your own. The below link has a few websites that have recipes.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10326769/are-you-a-hard-gainer-please-read/p1
  • MarquezJA86
    MarquezJA86 Posts: 20 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options

California Burrito
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter and ice cream are two decent ones.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »

I’ve become pretty partial to boiling sweet potatoes, putting them in the fridge for a while, halving them, then spreading cinnamon and cashew butter on them.
  • Strongerxthanxyesterday
    Options
    I highly recommend Up Your Mass super weight gainer. 50g protein, 100 carbs. Taste great, no bloat, no gas, no aftertaste.
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »

These are mandatory macros for me even when cutting.
  • bellaambru
    bellaambru Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Naked mass and muscle milk. But do half a scoop of each a few times a day.
  • 99JT
    99JT Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Make your own a you can add any combination of protein powder, milk, oats, peanut butter, eggs, etc. It's allways better to have real food and it taste better.