Weight lifting

Options
samaranicolew
samaranicolew Posts: 15 Member
I am a female and would love to incorporate weight lifting into my routine but I don’t know where to start. I don’t go to a gym and I usually do one of the Beach Body cardio and sculpting routines from home. Im not sure this would not be effective since I can’t use anymore than 8 lb weights. I DO NOT want to bulk up but I just want to boost my metabolism and strength. Any suggestions? Has anyone had success with gaining muscle with sculpting workouts at home?

Replies

• comittobethin
    comittobethin Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thinking about where you used to be vs where you are now can be very daunting. I lost a bit of weight a few years ago but like you I gained it back. I kept feeling down on myself because I knew it was possible, I just had to do it which is probably the hardest part about losing weight, starting. I suggest starting off slow giving yourself small goals instead of trying to jump in where you left off last time. You may not see the fast results right away but right now your only goal should be getting back on the horse. I started off by telling myself I need to go to the gym at least 2 times a week and set my macros at a higher level than I once had them at. After a few weeks I increased the gym and decreased the macros. I am now up to working out 5-6 times a week and I am losing steadily. You can do this! The only person standing in your way is you!
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Check out this link, there are bodyweight/at home workouts in there.

community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Unless you are eating in a surplus to gain weight you won't get bulky (even if you are, you probably won't get very big as a female). Also you probably won't gain very much muscle while lifting in a deficit, but you will retain what you have to give you more of a lean sculpted look, if that is what you want.

I workout at home and had success but I have equipment... barbells, plates, dumbbells, bands, etc.
  • samaranicolew
    samaranicolew Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Check out this link, there are bodyweight/at home workouts in there.

community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Unless you are eating in a surplus to gain weight you won't get bulky (even if you are, you probably won't get very big as a female). Also you probably won't gain very much muscle while lifting in a deficit, but you will retain what you have to give you more of a lean sculpted look, if that is what you want.

I workout at home and had success but I have equipment... barbells, plates, dumbbells, bands, etc.

That’s exactly what I want to be- lean and sculpted. Thanks!
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    Oh jeez, enough with the getting bulky. I've been lifting heavy, primarily in a surplus or at maintenance, for the last 5 years and I'm pretty sure no one has ever called me "bulky."
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Oh jeez, enough with the getting bulky. I've been lifting heavy, primarily in a surplus or at maintenance, for the last 5 years and I'm pretty sure no one has ever called me "bulky."

Yea I know. Interestingly I have! :D
  • Davidsdottir
    Options

I wish someone would! @Wheelhouse15 am I bulky???
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

Gorgeously "bulky," @Davidsdottir.
  • Davidsdottir
    Options

Gorgeously "bulky," @Davidsdottir.

Kisses for you!
  • nicknaz2000
    nicknaz2000 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am 57 and been on this program for the last two weeks. See a drop of 5lbs in weight. Currently at 190 lbs after loosking the 5. on 1500 Calories a day program. Not seeing changes for the last 4 days. All the drop was in the first week. Any suggestions, encouragement stories. My goal is 180. So I need to loose only another 10 lbs
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Pretty good article about women lifting weights and "getting bulky" here: https://www.girlsgonestrong.com/blog/strength-training/heavy-bulky/
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    edited February 2018
    Options

That is because you can lift more than most men. It's not that you are bulky, it's that they are small and dinky. >:)

OP, you won't get bulky, even if you bulked. The bigger thing is adequate protein to help maintain your muscle and following something based on progressive overload. The BB programs are great for general fitness and can help get you lean if you already have a foundation of muscle, but outside of that, they don't serve much purpose. And this is coming from someone who did them for 4 years..