57 Year old wanting to bulk

Options
Hello, I am hoping somebody could answer my question. I am currently wanting to add some muscle to my frame. I have been working out consistently for awhile but just recently started ICF 5x5 to try to gain some strength as well as get some size.

I have the usual old guy problems with belly fat but unless I get down to a sickly weight its pretty much there all the time.
My question is my diet. I am worried about eating to much fat, should I? I started this program 1/1/2018 and my weight started at 181 and am currently 189.

I am

6' tall
waist 33-34

My current Macros are as follows

2800 calories a day
Protein 200-233
Carbs 190-200
Fat 100-110

I have a sedetary job but do ICF Mo, Wed, Fri and also do abs on Tues & Friday along with ten 3 min rounds on the heavy bag with 60-90 sec rest between rounds.
I see my stomach is getting bigger due to the bulk which I expected but should I try to lower my fat grams down to 57 or so?
The fat mostly comes from avacodoes, almonds, olive oil which I add to get some extra calories , and reduced fat milk.
My goal is to get to about 210 and then cut down again.

Any help would be appreciated thanks

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    You're 6 feet and have a 33" to 34" waist and think you have belly fat? I doubt you have a lot of it.

Generally in a bulk protein and fats are held constant and carbs are increased. You protein looks higher than necessary. Goal should be .8 to 1 gram per lb of lean body mass. Fats .35 to .45 grams per lb. So, your fats are a little high too. If you like that much protein, that is up to you but not necessary. I would drop fats and increase carbs.

usmcmp makes some great points above. You are likely not in the best body fat range for a bulk.
  • Deacap
    Deacap Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    usmcmp, Yes my BF has never been optimal. The problem I have is I can lose the fat but I just get so skinny when I do. I agree I wanted to get down to at least 10% but I get tired of people saying how thin I am.
  • Deacap
    edited February 2018
    Options
    mmapags, More than I should LOL

r44q1h8v7bde.jpg
  • mmapags
    Options
    Deacap wrote: »
    mmapags, More than I should LOL

r44q1h8v7bde.jpg

Meh, there's a little there but not bad. What do you think is your approximate BF%? Honestly, there is no health benefit to getting to 10% and it is hard to maintain. That is body builder competition level.

I'm a big fan of recomp. You've got decent muscle structure. Slowly adding to it while slowly dropping fat could be a good strategy. Looking at your pic, I'd guess 21, 22% BF. Recomping down to 15 to 18% would give you a leaner and more muscular look.

The downside to recomp is that the changes happen slowly and it requires patience. In the long run though, I don't think it takes any longer than cut/bulk cycles. You just don't see the same dramatic changes.
  • Deacap
    Options
    mmpags
    Thanks for the help. I will look into the recomp strategy. We have nothing but time. I would think my BF is probably around there I guess, I do need to have it checked. I also want to get my lifts up so we will see. I have always struggled with squats cant ever seem to squat or bench a lot long arms and legs.
  • Deacap
    Options
    Thank you usmcmp
  • mmapags
    Options
    I'm not familiar with your program but you want a hypertrophy program with a good amount of volume. I've been doing a 4 day split of 3x12 with a 4th set to failure that was given to me by the Coach /Trainer that owns the small gym where I train. It's shown some really good results.

I'm 66 and in a slight cut. Keeping the deficit small has helped to keep and/or maximize and muscle. Measurements say I'm gaining mass but who knows??
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    To be honest, I think it is a pretty rare snowflake who is over 40 and should/can pull off bulking. Need to be low double digits BF to start, some lowering of T-levels more chances of life to get in the way (family, work, injuries) derailing the exercise part of the process leaving one with a gut vs a late teens/20's individual.

IMO, recomp would be the way to go for you.
  • Deacap
    Options
    Thats great as long as you are making progress. Its a litlle tougher these days. My program is basically Strong lift 5x5 with some accessory lifts thrown in. I have done Short cut to Shred in the past and recently before this Andy Speer full body workout but that was with DB's now I have barbell and plates as well.
  • mmapags
    Options
    You'll get stronger with some hypertrophy with a SL 5x5 type program but it's not optimal for hypertrophy.
    One of the intermediate programs that focus on hypertrophy here may help:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you#latest

The progress is slow but distinct. Lol!
  • Deacap
    Options
    The progress is slow but distinct. Lol!

Hey thats how we roll now.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I'd keep dropping. I'm 6' and dropped to around 160 and was still about 17% BF, which is at the high end for bulking. Based on the photo, I'd put you in low 20s.
  • Deacap
    Options
    richardgavel

I agree with you on the BF%. I use to run 5 days a week probably 30-50 miles a week and would get down to about 175 but not any lower and I bet if I guessed i was still at least 17% all in the gut
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    You're 6 feet and have a 33" to 34" waist and think you have belly fat? I doubt you have a lot of it.

I'm guessing he's giving his jeans size. I take jeans with a 30 inch waist, but if I measure my true waist it's more like 33". (6'1", 170 lbs, recently dunked with bf% measured at 11.85%, 54 years old.)
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    richardgavel

I agree with you on the BF%. I use to run 5 days a week probably 30-50 miles a week and would get down to about 175 but not any lower and I bet if I guessed i was still at least 17% all in the gut

Unfortunately for most guys, that's where we tend to hold on to fat and the last place it will go from. Google "Android fat distribution".

FWIW, I'd agree with the others that your BF% is too high to bulk. Here's a great article which talks about the "P-ratio" and how it relates to muscle vs. fat gain: https://bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/initial-body-fat-and-body-composition-changes.html/

• Packerjohn
    Options
    Hello, I am hoping somebody could answer my question. I am currently wanting to add some muscle to my frame. I have been working out consistently for awhile but just recently started ICF 5x5 to try to gain some strength as well as get some size.

I have the usual old guy problems with belly fat but unless I get down to a sickly weight its pretty much there all the time.
    My question is my diet. I am worried about eating to much fat, should I? I started this program 1/1/2018 and my weight started at 181 and am currently 189.

I am

6' tall
    waist 33-34

My current Macros are as follows

2800 calories a day
    Protein 200-233
    Carbs 190-200
    Fat 100-110

I have a sedetary job but do ICF Mo, Wed, Fri and also do abs on Tues & Friday along with ten 3 min rounds on the heavy bag with 60-90 sec rest between rounds.
    I see my stomach is getting bigger due to the bulk which I expected but should I try to lower my fat grams down to 57 or so?
    The fat mostly comes from avacodoes, almonds, olive oil which I add to get some extra calories , and reduced fat milk.
    My goal is to get to about 210 and then cut down again.

Any help would be appreciated thanks

Just noticed the bolded in your post. What is "a while" A 20 something can maybe gain 2 pounds of muscle, working hard, eating right, on a good program in the first year or so of training. After that gains slow down. Older males will be somewhat less.

Still think recomp is the right path for you but make sure your expectations are realistic regardless of the path.
  • Packerjohn
    Options
    ccsernica wrote: »
    mmapags wrote: »

I'm guessing he's giving his jeans size. I take jeans with a 30 inch waist, but if I measure my true waist it's more like 33". (6'1", 170 lbs, recently dunked with bf% measured at 11.85%, 54 years old.)

Agree. I wear 34 waist Levi's at 6'2", 205-210 age 61 and my waist measures 36 at my physicals.
  • Deacap
    Options
    Yes I was going by jean size.