Fight!

Options
Maintaing your weight is always going to be a battle

Replies

• ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    I've been maintaining my current weight for several months now. Yes it fluctuates but that's normal.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Me personally for the moment, yes it will be. My leptin and Ghrelin are seriously messed up. Hunger ques are nuts! I am hoping with about 30 lbs of re weight gain in the next year and a half, things will get better. Has anyone else had hunger que issues after massive weight loss? Did gaining some BF back actually help? How about hormonal issues?
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    What specifically are you struggling with? Have you lost weight previously and been unable to maintain the loss?
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,609 Member
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »
    I do not believe, that anyone wants maintenance to be hard. Before I discovered the truth about weight loss, I always thought there would be a day when I could be normal. Yes, I know, define normal. I always saw myself just going out to eat, grazing like I always did, eating until I was stuffed. Not reality at all. I am glad certain things I read took me down the rabbit hole that is reality for me at this time. I do hope for it getting easier, if I can get my hormones back in control, in the future. I believe in some ways maintenance can be easier for people who's BF set point was not as high as some people's. I was over 300lbs for 16+ years. I will not throw myself a pity party at all. I got myself into this mess, I have to fight my way out of it. I have know several people who have lost the kind of weight I did. 2 natural, 1 with a gastric band, and one with gastric bypass. All of them have regained a lot of weight. The 2 who did it natural, gained all of it back and then some. Quite quick actually. I am talking about 100+ lbs in a year and more. The one with the gastric band gained most of theirs back. The gastric bypass has been the most successful. He has only regained about 50lbs of over 200 lost. I know why though. I have seen what he eats. Cookies, candy, chips, ice cream. Not just as small so called treats. I hate to call things treats, but in a way they are. He eats them every day. The man has been given the greatest weight loss and maintenance tool modern medicine can give him, but he is pissing it down his leg. He refuses to exercise at all. He is completely non compliant with his diet. Sorry for the rant there. LOL I have a tenancy to do that sometimes. I said all that to say this, I want to learn from the people here. I want to see what works for them, so I can get ideas with what might work for me. All I can do is research, listen, and do a little trial and error for myself. To all those who have no problems. That is amazing. I can only hope to oneday be like you. for all those still in the trenches fighting, I am with you.

Unless you're current underweight and under-fat I would suggest predicted maintenance calories and accepting a small trending weight gain but not setting yourself up to accept a 30lb regain without fighting it tooth and nail.

While in the beginning I might accept a bump up that is faster... I would resist a (not specifically for the purpose of gaining muscle) bulk of more than 1lb a month over the long term.

I suspect that things will improve hunger wise after at full maintenance (not permacut) eating for a year or two.

And inventing "treat analogues" is always fun! Currently experimenting with Greek yogurt based bagels :smiley:
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    psychod787 wrote: »
    I do not believe, that anyone wants maintenance to be hard. Before I discovered the truth about weight loss, I always thought there would be a day when I could be normal. Yes, I know, define normal. I always saw myself just going out to eat, grazing like I always did, eating until I was stuffed. Not reality at all. I am glad certain things I read took me down the rabbit hole that is reality for me at this time. I do hope for it getting easier, if I can get my hormones back in control, in the future. I believe in some ways maintenance can be easier for people who's BF set point was not as high as some people's. I was over 300lbs for 16+ years. I will not throw myself a pity party at all. I got myself into this mess, I have to fight my way out of it. I have know several people who have lost the kind of weight I did. 2 natural, 1 with a gastric band, and one with gastric bypass. All of them have regained a lot of weight. The 2 who did it natural, gained all of it back and then some. Quite quick actually. I am talking about 100+ lbs in a year and more. The one with the gastric band gained most of theirs back. The gastric bypass has been the most successful. He has only regained about 50lbs of over 200 lost. I know why though. I have seen what he eats. Cookies, candy, chips, ice cream. Not just as small so called treats. I hate to call things treats, but in a way they are. He eats them every day. The man has been given the greatest weight loss and maintenance tool modern medicine can give him, but he is pissing it down his leg. He refuses to exercise at all. He is completely non compliant with his diet. Sorry for the rant there. LOL I have a tenancy to do that sometimes. I said all that to say this, I want to learn from the people here. I want to see what works for them, so I can get ideas with what might work for me. All I can do is research, listen, and do a little trial and error for myself. To all those who have no problems. That is amazing. I can only hope to oneday be like you. for all those still in the trenches fighting, I am with you.

Unless you're current underweight and under-fat I would suggest predicted maintenance calories and accepting a small trending weight gain but not setting yourself up to accept a 30lb regain without fighting it tooth and nail.

While in the beginning I might accept a bump up that is faster... I would resist a (not specifically for the purpose of gaining muscle) bulk of more than 1lb a month over the long term.

I suspect that things will improve hunger wise after at full maintenance (not permacut) eating for a year or two.

And inventing "treat analogues" is always fun! Currently experimenting with Greek yogurt based bagels :smiley:

I am currently about 8.6% bf. I am shooting for 1/4 lbs a week for a while. So yes, I am underweight, not by body building standards, but by American standards yes. I appreciate you answer me. I am all ears from people who have been living the lifestyle longer than I have. After about 10lbs on, I will probably re assess my situation. I was saying 30lbs because the RD states that about what I need.
  • gymprincess1234
    gymprincess1234 Posts: 493 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    For me neither. Being in deficit is deffo harder.
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    It is a struggle for me as well. Even after weight loss surgery, regain, re-loss, & several years in maintenance, I have to think about every bite I put in my mouth. I wish it were easy.