Low calorie requirements as a tall (ish) male

Options
2»

Replies

• steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    Options
    So based on your experience, everyone of the same height and weight has the exact same BF/LBM ratio? Great. I just need to find a super-ripped person person at my height and weight who's had one of those expensive lab tests to accurate determine their BF%, and I can just assume mine is the same.

I didn't say that applies to everyone, I was implying a similarity between the OP and myself based on age and what backstory he provided, and wanted to provide a reference behind a "yeah, sounds about right" reference to his body fat levels.

I also read the following a few years ago in article by Marc Perry and found it to be true given my subsequent experience and the body fat percentage measuring devices I have at my disposal (haven't done a DXA scan, not yet at least):
    "Most guys with a few years of lifting experience have an LBM (a.k.a. lean body mass – everything in your body besides fat, including bone, blood, organs, and muscle) of 145lb. How do I know? Well, because I have data on tons of clients and it’s the magic number for the amount of muscle on the average guy who is 5’10, or 5’11”. If you have 145lb of LBM, that would imply you would need to get your body weight into the 150’s to look truly ripped (6% body fat)."
    source: https://www.builtlean.com/2011/05/11/how-to-get-ripped-and-cut/

Based on the OP's description of himself and what I know I look like at 185lbs, it adds up; at least for a ballpark of "pretty close" at 20%. Regardless of if the OP is really at 19% or 25% (the difference between 150lbs and 140lbs LBM at 185lbs total), he needs to cut more fat to get where he wants to be.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    phwdjones wrote: »
    I'm 6'1 and 26 years old, with a desk job, but my calorie requirements SEEM to be 1800 a day to really lose weight effectively. As I'm sure you all know thats not alot of food and I have a ravenous appetite. In order for me to lose weight I often go to bed hungry, because even when I pile my plate full of veggies aside from the main meat I don't feel satiated.

Is 1800 too low for a 6'1 male?

I've been trying to eat at this level for months and have struggled losing weight. As soon as I go over 2200 in a day when I wake up the next day I am usually 2lbs heavier on the scale, its incredibly frustrating.

I've been at this weight loss thing since August last year and ive lost 20lbs since then, but I am stuck in the 180-185 lb range for the past 2 months atleast, its unbearably miserable. I want to hit 170.

Of course you will be heavier on the scale the next day if you eat more food than you normally do, but it's not fat, it's the extra food digesting through your system and some water weight.

You've posted similar posts before, have you tightened up your logging? If not go back and re-read all the advice you've been given previously, like in this one http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10623026/still-confused/p1

ETA: You still aren't logging weekends, so how do you know what your calorie intake is?

Seems like all these questions were addressed/answered in that previous thread.

If you keep doing what you've been doing, you'll keep getting what you've been getting. Simple as that.

[ETA:] LOL. I just read all the way through the previous thread and saw that I gave the exact same advice there. :D