Rosacea Treatments

Options
I am using 2 topical creams Metronidizole in the morning and Elidel in the evening before bed. Has anyone been prescribed other meds for this condition? My worst areas seem to be around my mouth and nose. Sometimes it gets so bad it burns and itches at the same time.

Anything helpful suggestions are greatly appreciated. I know hot beverages cause an issue sometimes but anyone know of specific foods to avoid as well? What has been your experience with this?

Replies

• SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    Prosacea is an over the counter which helped me
  • siamsa99
    siamsa99 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I had the kind of rosacea that looked like purple triangles on my cheeks and close up was lots of little spots. I was prescribed the same, the meds kept it at bay as long as I kept using it. So I stopped. Tried many things but in the end tea tree oil made a massive difference and now I keep it away by using this stuff every day as a moisturiser. Good luck! https://www.skinshop.co.uk/silver-serum
  • smnovosad1
    smnovosad1 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Use cerave moisturizer — just the regular lotion or the am version of the lotion which has sunscreen in it. I love solantra, which is a prescription, for people with symptomatic rosacea. Also, there is a prescription called rhofade that can be used in the morning that constricts blood vessels and lessens redness if redness is a cosmetic concern for you.
  • smnovosad1
    smnovosad1 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Foods to avoid — spicy foods, alcohol, esp red wine.
  • Roobyzooby
    Roobyzooby Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Unfortunatly I haven't really found anything that eases this, I suffer from Raynauds and other circulatory issues aswell snd the dr couldn't prescribe anything to help. My one saving grace (fingers crossed) is that my mum also suffered with this, and after she turned 50, it seemed to lessen in severity with age. Thats only a few years away now for me, so we will see.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    smnovosad1 wrote: »
    Foods to avoid — spicy foods, alcohol, esp red wine.

Caffeine too.
  • gardenbird
    gardenbird Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I am in my mid 50s now started maybe 5 years ago roughly. Had no sign prior to that though.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Roobyzooby wrote: »
    Unfortunatly I haven't really found anything that eases this, I suffer from Raynauds and other circulatory issues aswell snd the dr couldn't prescribe anything to help. My one saving grace (fingers crossed) is that my mum also suffered with this, and after she turned 50, it seemed to lessen in severity with age. Thats only a few years away now for me, so we will see.

@Roobyzooby I’m curious to know if the Reynauds and Rosacea are related? I also have both — but for me, the symptoms came on about when I turned 50. I have white fingers and a purple nose — it’s lovely.
  • skinnyrev2b
    skinnyrev2b Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Me too nowine4me... I have kids nudge their mums sometimes, and even had one ask whether I'd been smacked in the nose lol!
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I've used everything and Finacea works the best for me.

I hate when people ask about my face. HATE IT. "Did you have your brows waxed?" "Did a bug bite you?" "Did someone hit you?"

REALLY?
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    Sucks, doesn’t it? I think it feels like someone’s taken fine-grit sandpaper to my face. I was prescribed metro gel, but it didn’t help.

Wine and skin dryness are my two big triggers. No more wine for me, except on holidays. I wash my face with plain water, coconut oil, or an ultra-gentle cleanser. I moisturize with a mix of the thick Cerave cream and a zinc-based sunscreen. I think the zinc actually has a calming affect. And I wear make-up when I go out if I’m having a bad skin day. But if I do the right things, it’s not that bad and doesn’t hurt.
  • jbrown2339
    jbrown2339 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I used to have really pronounced rosacia, everyone kept asking me if I was blushing, or at best would ask if I got sunburned. I tried metrogel and some antibiotic that didn't do anything.

It has really toned down though in last few years, and I'm not sure why. I ate badly before, especially things with red dye (I am sensitive to it I found out) but also fast food and Lean cuisine. Now that I eat better, it hasn't abated totally, but it's a lot better. I think it definitely comes out more when I drink.
  • staraly
    staraly Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Roobyzooby wrote: »

If you haven't been checked for lupus you might consider getting this done. Rosacea, Raynauds and other circulatory problems are symptoms, and there is a genetic basis.
  • jbrown2339
    jbrown2339 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I've also heard that gluten sensitivities can make roseacea worsen...but to be honest I don't know how accurate that is. Could be worth exploring.

Certain foods will trigger it, like red wine mentioned above, and spicy foods.