Air Fryer

Options
PWCGirl
PWCGirl Posts: 1 Member
I recently purchased an air fryer. If you haven't tried using this for various frozen meals, you need to consider all you can do. Instead of microwaving things and your chicken looking pale, the air fryer does give a nice "crust" and browns the meat. No oil was necessary! You could probably spray some non-caloric sprays (Pam, generic, olive oil, etc) - but you don't have to really.

Replies

• cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing this. I never thought of doing them this way.
  • 2_FitNFab
    2_FitNFab Posts: 163 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I love my airfryer. I have learned that thicker items, especially if cooking from frozen may need to be nuked in the microwave first. If not they will brown nicely on the outside and still be frozen on the inside. I attempted a thawed whole chicken this weekend. It browned beautifully at the suggested temps but did not cook in the center.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,637 Member
    Options
    I love my air fryer too. Besides replicating fried foods at high temperature, I use it as an oven since it is more energy efficient. Roast vegetables, baked lasagna, etc. The only dish the oven does a better job of is spatchcock chicken because you make use the fact that the temperature in the oven is uneven. The breasts cook in the cooler centre and legs get more heat on the perimeter so both are done at the same time.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    True.
    It's a pain in the *kitten* cleaning it tho
  • acpgee
    Options
    True.
    It's a pain in the *kitten* cleaning it tho

I just immediately soak the basket in the removable bottom section immediately and them dump the basket (sometimes both parts if there is room) in the dishwasher.
  • swilkins49412
    swilkins49412 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Amazon has parchment paper discs with holes that allow the air to circulate and eliminates most of the mess
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I threw my bagel in there the other day. It was faster than me pulling out the toaster. Plus with it spinning around, both sides toasted evenly. When I use the toaster one side is way darker or burnt.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I have been thinking of getting one. What brand do you guys have and how big is it. I will be cooking mainly for 1 and have considered one of the smaller ones...3.7 Gowise since my kitchen is teeny tiny one. Any recommendations will be appreciated.

Also any pros and cons of an air fryer.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    I have been thinking of getting one. What brand do you guys have and how big is it. I will be cooking mainly for 1 and have considered one of the smaller ones...3.7 Gowise since my kitchen is teeny tiny one. Any recommendations will be appreciated.

Also any pros and cons of an air fryer.

I've got a t-fal one. I also have a basket for it for when I don't want the food being pushed around.

I use mine mostly for doing fries. Probably 4 times a week. Cut up a potato, soak it for a few minutes and toss it in the air fryer for 30 mins. The result is somewhere between doing them in the oven and actual deep fryer. I do like them better than just roasted in the oven, so that's a pro. Was surprised it wasn't faster, but it takes ~30 mins for them.

Short answer is I like it but it isn't a magical thing.
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Mine is. Tfal as well. I use it a lot more than I thought I would. It is big and takes up lots of space on the counter. But because it is already out I use it all the time.
  • fatguy_fitness
    fatguy_fitness Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I've used mine just about everyday since I got it for Christmas.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    love mine!
  • marshabc1952
    marshabc1952 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    ars371 wrote: »
    I've used mine just about everyday since I got it for Christmas.
    I use mine several times a week since receiving as Christmas gift.

• darlamiller
    darlamiller Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love mine it is a Phillips! I use it everyday I also ordered some accessories which are different pans for it ! I made a box of jiffy cornbread in one of the new pans no preheating the oven and it was done in 10 min. And was so yummy !! It’s perfect for my husband and I!!!
  • knightreader
    knightreader Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    i love mine too. its perfect to cook for one. not sure how it would work for a big family as mine wouldn't fit more than two chicken cutlets. maybe there are bigger ones. chicken is always juicy. nice that i can set it up, and then go do something else while it cooks. better than over, and with bbq you gotta check it often. doesn't really save time, but most stuff i have made has been easier, tasty and healthier.
  • acpgee
    Options
    Discovering that the air fryer does a great job of rendering off subcutaneous fat from meat. Had noticed this earlier with chicken thighs, drumsticks and wings. Did duck legs tonight and skin was thin and crisp. Must try roast pork with crackling next weekend.