Having a hard time eating my cal goal.

2»

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Is @daisyflores183 under medical orders to gain weight?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited February 2018
    ricka1962 wrote: »
    sardelsa wrote: »
    "OP has hit her protein macros for the day, why would she need more protein shakes vs ice cream? Some people find protein very filling, even in a shake and they'd be better off with the pizza. Not to mention it can be way more enjoyable. In your case since you are bulking on keto (I'd imagine for medical reasons?) Your choices will clearly be different"

Depends on what the OPs goals are. Didnt' see where the OP was hitting any specific macro for the day. Just that that they were trying to increase total calories. If the OP is already eating Pizza and ice cream and still under in macros than Pizza and ice cream it is. If pizza and ice cream weren't part of the dietary plan, why would it be now to just increase caloric intake. Also sounds like this is a daily problem, not an issue of getting a treat or taking a cheat day.

If the goal is to just blow up, then by all means eat whatever you want and have a good time doing it. If the goal is to build more muscle, but keep fat lower but at higher calorie consuption, which I assumed (maybe incorrectly) is why she's using MFP to begin with, then pizza & ice cream may not be the best choice. I guess what I was proposing is to increase calories based on whatever dietary program the OP is currently on vs just pigging out because you have extra macros to consume. Protein shakes aren't the silver bullet but usually fit into most dietary programs, but you're right it may not be the best choice here either without knowing what dietary program the OP is following.

I also didnt' see anything about bulking in the OP post just wanting to add calories. I'm certainly not trying to bulk. But I am trying to add muscle without fat so Pizza/ice cream would be counter to my goals based on my diet. So while I'm under my caloric intake, Pizza and Ice cream would muck up my diet. In my experience in few cases I've found Pizza and ice cream to be in any dietary plan for fitnes gains. Definately will add weight, but you may get different results than what I expected.

When it comes to gaining, it is the amount of surplus that will have the greatest impact on fat gain, not if those calories are made up of pizza and ice cream.

If you are eating in a surplus, some of that gain will be fat. If anything keto tends to increase that unfortunately. Unless you are eating at maintenance and recomping? In another thread you said you were eating 200-300 over maintenance.. I would consider that bulking/gaining/eating in surplus.. whatever you want to call it

Ps I am currently bulking, also trying to add muscle with little fat, towards the end of my cycle actually. I eat ice cream almost everyday, pizza regularly, pasta 5x per week or more, cookies, candy you name it. I haven't blown up yet! I obviously hit my macros and eat plenty of nutrient dense food, but I fit in all types of foods when I can. My body composition has not suffered one tiny bit.

OK, I can't argue with what you are saying but I see the disconnect.

Maybe I missed it but I didn't see the OP as wanting to bulk or even have a surplus. Her caloric goal is 2300 per day and she's 800 short on a daily basis. At 2300 I would assume she's trying to gain, but who knows.

The initial repsonse seems to be to snack (agree), eat anything (disagree). I would propose she just consume more based on whatever her dietary regimen is, either as another meal or snacking. But within her macro breakdown. So to me she gets the extra calories on diet or off plan, I would propose on diet. But without knowing her diet, who knows. Maybe a protien shake isn't the right thing but you can also get more carbs, and some fat as well.

Really do you think 200-300 is bulking? It's really like another small meal or extra helping. Usually I see people when bulking just consuming lots calories in excess of 750 or more per day. You know those body builders you see sitting at a table with about 25 different plates of food. Yes, any surplus will likely have fat gains, but with Keto (for me), I just feel it's more manageable, though maybe I should rethink it. You seem in great shape and if your "bulking" and eating like you say you are, good for you! Nice job. If I were to do that, I would blow up, no question.

A surplus of 750 cals would lead to massive fat gains, especially for a woman who gains muscle more slowly.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,502 Member
    If the goal is to just blow up, then by all means eat whatever you want and have a good time doing it. If the goal is to build more muscle, but keep fat lower but at higher calorie consuption, which I assumed (maybe incorrectly) is why she's using MFP to begin with, then pizza & ice cream may not be the best choice.
    Calorie surplus is what dictates how much fat one gains.
    I also didnt' see anything about bulking in the OP post just wanting to add calories. I'm certainly not trying to bulk. But I am trying to add muscle without fat so Pizza/ice cream would be counter to my goals based on my diet. So while I'm under my caloric intake, Pizza and Ice cream would muck up my diet. In my experience in few cases I've found Pizza and ice cream to be in any dietary plan for fitnes gains. Definately will add weight, but you may get different results than what I expected.
    Adding muscle without fat is practically improbable unless your on a recomp. And that's a long process.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ricka1962
    ricka1962 Posts: 84 Member
    "OP has hit her protein macros for the day, why would she need more protein shakes vs ice cream? Some people find protein very filling, even in a shake and they'd be better off with the pizza. Not to mention it can be way more enjoyable. In your case since you are bulking on keto (I'd imagine for medical reasons?) Your choices will clearly be different"

Depends on what the OPs goals are. Didnt' see where the OP was hitting any specific macro for the day. Just that that they were trying to increase total calories. If the OP is already eating Pizza and ice cream and still under in macros than Pizza and ice cream it is. If pizza and ice cream weren't part of the dietary plan, why would it be now to just increase caloric intake. Also sounds like this is a daily problem, not an issue of getting a treat or taking a cheat day.

If the goal is to just blow up, then by all means eat whatever you want and have a good time doing it. If the goal is to build more muscle, but keep fat lower but at higher calorie consuption, which I assumed (maybe incorrectly) is why she's using MFP to begin with, then pizza & ice cream may not be the best choice. I guess what I was proposing is to increase calories based on whatever dietary program the OP is currently on vs just pigging out because you have extra macros to consume. Protein shakes aren't the silver bullet but usually fit into most dietary programs, but you're right it may not be the best choice here either without knowing what dietary program the OP is following.

When it comes to gaining, it is the amount of surplus that will have the greatest impact on fat gain, not if those calories are made up of pizza and ice cream.

If you are eating in a surplus, some of that gain will be fat. If anything keto tends to increase that unfortunately. Unless you are eating at maintenance and recomping? In another thread you said you were eating 200-300 over maintenance.. I would consider that bulking/gaining/eating in surplus.. whatever you want to call it

Ps I am currently bulking, also trying to add muscle with little fat, towards the end of my cycle actually. I eat ice cream almost everyday, pizza regularly, pasta 5x per week or more, cookies, candy you name it. I haven't blown up yet! I obviously hit my macros and eat plenty of nutrient dense food, but I fit in all types of foods when I can. My body composition has not suffered one tiny bit.

Maybe I missed it but I didn't see the OP as wanting to bulk or even have a surplus. Her caloric goal is 2300 per day and she's 800 short on a daily basis. At 2300 I would assume she's trying to gain, but who knows.

The initial repsonse seems to be to snack (agree), eat anything (disagree). I would propose she just consume more based on whatever her dietary regimen is, either as another meal or snacking. But within her macro breakdown. So to me she gets the extra calories on diet or off plan, I would propose on diet. But without knowing her diet, who knows. Maybe a protien shake isn't the right thing but you can also get more carbs, and some fat as well.

Really do you think 200-300 is bulking? It's really like another small meal or extra helping. Usually I see people when bulking just consuming lots calories in excess of 750 or more per day. You know those body builders you see sitting at a table with about 25 different plates of food. Yes, any surplus will likely have fat gains, but with Keto (for me), I just feel it's more manageable, though maybe I should rethink it. You seem in great shape and if your "bulking" and eating like you say you are, good for you! Nice job. If I were to do that, I would blow up, no question.

A surplus of 750 cals would lead to massive fat gains, especially for a woman who gains muscle more slowly.

No doubt it would!! Just take a look as some of the pro body builders in the off season.

But from my experience, the term "bulking" usually implies taking in more than 750 calories in surplus. 200-300 isn't bulking (to me) just eating a little bit more.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member

True I suppose we need to know more about the OPs goals and if she isn't hitting certain macros etc.

It depends on your definition of bulking, but from what I have always understood, bulking is eating in a surplus with the intention of gaining muscle mass. Some people don't consider a really lean bulk (so under 250cals per day or 0.5lb gain per week) a bulk but I still would. In general for a woman, 200-300 is definitely bulking, I wouldn't go higher than that in order to minimize fat gains. Men can go higher.

If keto feels manageable to you then go for it.. maybe look into timing carbs around your workouts to help you out.

And thanks, yea I mean I don't sit around eating ice cream all day.. but it fits in my calorie goal (which is huge) at the end of the day.
  • ricka1962
    ricka1962 Posts: 84 Member

True I suppose we need to know more about the OPs goals and if she isn't hitting certain macros etc.

It depends on your definition of bulking, but from what I have always understood, bulking is eating in a surplus with the intention of gaining muscle mass. Some people don't consider a really lean bulk (so under 250cals per day or 0.5lb gain per week) a bulk but I still would. In general for a woman, 200-300 is definitely bulking, I wouldn't go higher than that in order to minimize fat gains. Men can go higher.

If keto feels manageable to you then go for it.. maybe look into timing carbs around your workouts to help you out.

And thanks, yea I mean I don't sit around eating ice cream all day.. but it fits in my calorie goal (which is huge) at the end of the day.

Yep, based on that definition you’re bulking. Typically bulking is done in the bodybuilding off season. Guys (and gals) would consume 1000s of calories per day, 3500-8000+ and gain massive amounts of weight. They look really bulky (and bad) before they start cutting for a show. Regardless, you’re spot on with the 200 calorie surplus to keep the weight gain as lean as possible.

With the keto diet (been low crab since 1999), it’s tricky with carb intake and not throwing yourself out of ketosis. I’ll take a cheat day instead.

Guess without the op, this thread has derailed.
  • daisyflores183
    daisyflores183 Posts: 6 Member
    Hi everyone! First of all I wanna thank everyone who replied back to this thread!
    I first want to say that I am not bulking.
    I want to maintain my weight, I am 120-125
    But I workout everyday and I try so much to snack, i am under no medical orders but i am trying to get rid of my fat loss not weight loss.
    I lost already 15 pounds and I just want to maintain but meanwhile get some muscle out of it. I’m sorry if I was so vague.
    I am reading all these threads and I love reading and constructive criticism.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Hiya, I have similar problems sometimes in reaching my calorie goals as I can't eat high volumes of food ; I get full too quickly. I often have around 200 calories at the end of the day so I just snack on peanut butter or ice cream. 800 at the end of the day is quite a lot though! What helps me is logging at the start of the day (if I know roughly what I'm going to be eating) as then I can up my intake with calorie dense snacks during the day rather than having to eat them all at once in the evening. Eating things like full fat dairy and adding oil to meals helps. I am also 128 lbs and maintaining ;finding it harder than when I was trying to gain!
  • billkansas
    billkansas Posts: 267 Member
    Following on what others have said, don't be afraid to eat some crappy food to hit your calorie goal. Do what you have to do reach it. I think we all get sick of preparing and cleaning up after cooking good food and some days you're just too busy. It's better to eat some quick crap and hit your calorie goal than miss it. Otherwise, you're going to keep losing weight and some of this loss will be muscle.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    I eat that much all the time without a thought. I mean, I'm accidentally gaining weight because I have no control. It's not hard to meet with a decent breakfast, sandwich and a yogurt or soup for lunch, a 400 calorie snack (I'd have like a Larry and Lenny's cookie if I had that many calories), and a nice 800 calorie dinner with a serving or two of pasta
  • jiggyj9
    jiggyj9 Posts: 90 Member
    I’m having a similar issue! This app has made me realize that I consume less than I thought I did, and I usually have a few hundred calories left over by the end of the day. I’ve been trying to up my protein with each meal and have been adding more snacks. Maybe try an extra protein shake!