Thoughts On Fasting?

Options
Just wondering everyone’s thoughts on weekly fasting. For example, eating properly and normally for 6 days a week. Then, on the 7th, just drinking water to rest your digestive system. A lot of people in my health class were talking about it. No one seems to know if it’s good for your body or not. I would prefer genuine and honest opinions, as well as FACTUAL answers. However, genuine and honest does not mean rude or disrespectful. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• DesOdhi
    DesOdhi Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    If you want to do this, I don't see why not. But your digestive system does not need a rest, that is hokum.
    Ok, thank you. Not really looking to do it. Just being inquisitive at the moment.

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I knew someone who put their dogs on this type of fast. He said he did it for their longevity. UGH
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options

If fasting one day a week works for someone to control their calories I don't think there's anything dangerous about it. I don't know of any benefit to resting your digestive system, I don't think that's really a thing.

• malcolmrmcintyre
    Options
    I developed significant gastritis on a two day a week fast regimen. Cured by same calories split evenly across the week
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    There are a few scientific studies on the benefits of fasting, although there aren't a whole lot. Most seem to agree that longer fasts are the ones that have the most potential for benefits like autophagy.

Here's an interesting article: https://news.usc.edu/63669/fasting-triggers-stem-cell-regeneration-of-damaged-old-immune-system/
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I knew someone who put their dogs on this type of fast. He said he did it for their longevity. UGH

Poor dogs :disappointed:
  • whosshe
    whosshe Posts: 597 Member
    Options

That is so sad! Poor dogs waiting for supper for it to never come :disappointed:
  • BruceHedtke
    BruceHedtke Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    As long as you can control yourself on the days you are not fasting, then it can work very well in terms of building a calorie deficit. Just don't give your digestive system too much time off or it'll become lazy and sleep all day :o
  • DesOdhi
    Options
    Rogstar wrote: »
    My mother has a 36-40 hour fast every Friday and has done it for years. Not for digestive rest, but she uses it for personal religious reasons. She feels it helps get herself into a good mood and that it helps her focus her praying. Last time I tried it on purpose all I could think about was how my stomach wouldn't shut up. My prayers now include thanks that I am able to eat what I need to function at my job every day!

I don't believe it has any benefit or detriment to the digestive system itself, but I haven't read into any specific studies. In terms of weight loss, I assume it would work similarly to 5:2 or another intermittent fasting protocol. It's merely a way to reduce overall calorie intake.

Yes, I agree. I’ve only really ever heard of people using it for religious reasons. I just wondered if anyone had any actual health benefits of doing it. Thank you for your response.
  • DesOdhi
    Options
    I can go about 4 hours without eating during my awake hours. It sure doesn't seem very "fast" to me.
    Haha, EXACTLY! I don’t see how people do it.

• DesOdhi
    Options
    That’s ridiculous. I hope someone informed them that dogs eat when they’re hungry in the wild. They don’t “fast for longevity.”
  • DesOdhi
    Options
    As long as you can control yourself on the days you are not fasting, then it can work very well in terms of building a calorie deficit. Just don't give your digestive system too much time off or it'll become lazy and sleep all day :o
    So, what I’ve pretty much gathered today, there’s no actual internal benefits to fasting. It’s either a religious or weight loss based. Thank you! I was really wondering.