heart healthy entrees as well as snacks

Options
Hi, I need to change my diet due to a heart issue. Questions, what are some things you eat that also have heart issues?
I have been told to keep my sodium level under 3000mg per day. and my fat per item i eat at 3mg saturated fat
I am trying to find some heart healthy recipes for main dishes as well as side dishes and also snacks

Replies

• kam26001
    kam26001 Posts: 2,799 Member
    Options
    Lentil soup
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I hope that was grams and not milligrams :# And how many "items" are you allowed per day? Most foods are naturally low in sodium, and if you cook from scratch you can add (or leave out) salt yourself.
  • MamaMc3
    MamaMc3 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Look up the DASH diet. It's a pretty solid plan for people with heart issues. If you cut most processed foods out of your diet, you will be able to manage your sodium intake much more easily. Try to plan your meals around lean protein, fruits, veggies, and whole grains. Use salt-free seasoning (there are some awesome ones out there). You're also going to want to cook your own meals rather than going out to eat - restaurants use CRAZY amounts of salt!!

You can adapt a lot of recipes to be heart healthy. I'd encourage you to look at what you are eating now and see what you can tweak to be low sodium.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest switching to Lite Salt (half potassium, half sodium) and Nu Salt (all potassium) for cooking.
  • gracie97007
    gracie97007 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    thanks for everyone's input. Much appreciated. I was told after I had the heart attack and stent placement that the Dash diet or the Meditterean Diet were the best options. I am supposed to have 6 servings of veggies and 5 servings of fruit per day.

Working on getting that much added. Still tricky. I also am supposed to eat legumes or other beans every day. Something that I am not used to.

I need to find some good recipes that call for beans that will be satisfying to eat
  • gracie97007
    gracie97007 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    kommodevaran, it is mg of sodium, not grams
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    kommodevaran, it is mg of sodium, not grams
    Oh, I was referring to keep my fat per item at 3mg saturated fat. I can see why my whole post made no sense to anybody else but me. I assumed your allowance was 3 grams of saturated fat per item, but we still have to know your daily allowance of saturated fat (you could eat 100 items and still follow the instruction, but mess up your goal), and still it might be an unnecessary restriction. Then I went on to explain how sodium intake naturally restricts itself if you cook yourself. Sorry for the confusion.